Author Topic: Fears...  (Read 3788 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Fears...
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:40:14 PM »
For some reason, I'm dreading this book coming out.

When I wrote my first book, I think I was nervous, but not too much.  If they liked it, great, if not, I'd feel bad, but hey, that's life.  Did I really just use five commas in a 14 word sentence?

Anyway, this book has me worried silly.  Since then I've met with a lot of folks who have liked my book.  A lot of them have asked me if I was working on a second one, and when I answer in the affirmative, they always look excited.  And THAT is why I'm lying awake at night.  With my first book there were no expectations.  Pick up a book, read it, no harm no foul.  But now people are expecting something.  They will want a similar experience with the second book.  How can I possibly live up to that?  I can tell you right now the book is not as funny.  I think it's just as 'good', but good for a different reason.  But now I'm worried that I will have a few thousand kids, use their allowance to buy a book, only to be severely disappointed.  Will they curse my name?  Will they cry into their pillow because they just flushed $12 down the drain?

May 1 is a loooong way off.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Fears...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:47:24 PM »
That's actually a very interesting reaction. When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose. Now that you have something, you can lose. Rob kept telling us his second book wasn't as funny as the first either. And, maybe it wasn't. But I still thought it was great. So maybe you have something to lose, but you also have something to win