Author Topic: Deseret News Article  (Read 3903 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Deseret News Article
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:32:45 PM »
Wee hour musings paying off for author.

It's in the B section, but he was referenced from the front page.

My favorite line:

""...innocuous hairstyle."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:53:18 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Deseret News Article
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
Freakiest photo of Brandon ever.

I mean, seriously. Doesn't it just look like he's going to bend down and eat your head?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
Awesome!

I can't wait to read this.

"Each of the freedom fighters has an unusual but surprisingly powerful magical skill, such as the ability to arrive late to appointments."

Wow!  To discover in my 40's that all these years I've had powerful magical skill.

Go CntlZed!   

"and "Mistborn" even has its own alphabet, designed by Isaac Stewart, who also drew each of the maps.
      Stewart, a close friend of Sanderson's and a prolific fantasy reader, said he likes Sanderson's fresh take on the genre."

But this should have said " a prolific fantasy reader, AND WRITER"
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 04:57:24 PM »
Freakiest photo of Brandon ever.

I mean, seriously. Doesn't it just look like he's going to bend down and eat your head?

Is this photo taken from a child's perspective?   "Mr. Sanderson, would you sign my book?"  It looks like Brandon signed the book but just  said, "I'm not giving it back until you promise to obey your mom?"

Or perhaps the photographer used his magical "Camera of Reveal Abilities" to capture Brandon's true stature as an Author.

I'm sure this forum could come up with great captions for the picture.  Someone should make a poll.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
Both of Sanderson's published novels include maps to help readers orient themselves in the kingdoms he has created, and "Mistborn" even has its own alphabet, designed by Isaac Stewart, who also drew each of the maps.
  Wow that's kind of a snub to the guy who did the Elantris map, though it's probably the reporter's misunderstanding.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
you look like one of the evil librarians...wait a minute!  I have disocvered the secret plot!!!!!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »
No, I just don't like it when someone is given credit for someone else's work.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 07:21:55 PM »
You konw, we specifically told her someone ELSE had done the map for Elantris.  I guess she was confused by there being two maps in Mistborn.

Those who read the print article.  Did they manage to get news of my reading/signing this saturday into the article?  If not, I'm going to cancel the reading. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:24:25 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 09:18:50 PM »
The pic's not so bad . . . just looks like you need to get more sun.  Now I've got a picture you hold up in some basement furiously typing for your sanity.  Good job, keep it up!   ;D

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 09:32:43 PM »
You konw, we specifically told her someone ELSE had done the map for Elantris.  I guess she was confused by there being two maps in Mistborn.

No, it's just because reporters are incapable of regurgitating even the simplest set of facts correctly.  They always screw something up.  Usually it's something bigger than this.

Their jobs are not about facts, their jobs are about spin.  In fact...<rant about="media inaccuracies">
</rant>...on a toadstool.

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »
Those who read the print article.  Did they manage to get news of my reading/signing this saturday into the article?  If not, I'm going to cancel the reading. 

Yes. The article continued on to B3 and above that section there's a brown boxed-off place that tells about the Barnes & Noble at Jordan Landing at 2 pm on Saturday.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
Are you just holding a print out of the cover?  I know you don't have a physical copy of the book yet.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 11:40:41 PM »
Sprig,

It's an ARC--review copy sent to reviewers, and I snagged a few to pass around to media outlets here.

Nessa,

Thanks!  Looks like the reading will go forward.  That's good to hear. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:22:51 AM »
They already have ARCs out with the full cover?  That's why I didn't think it was real, Tor never added the cover on them and Alcatraz's cover was only recently approved.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:09 AM »
In children's books, ARCs tend to have at least near-final cover art. Very few places in children's do what Tor does, with the plain paper covers, because it's so competitive. Sometimes art changes, or it's a cover that gives you an idea of the typeface they'll use, if cover art is slow in coming, but most of the time it's final or close to final.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing