Author Topic: Free the Pirates!  (Read 1932 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Free the Pirates!
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:19:04 AM »
Well, we've celebrated Talk Like a Pirate Day on the boards before, so perhaps this isn't too far off base.  A friend of mine wrote and directed a movie: Pirates of the Great Salt Lake.  It's screened across the country to very good reviews, but he's having trouble drumming up support from distributors to release the film.  So he's come up with this idea he's called Free the Pirates.  Basically, fans of the film can donate money to get screen credit (for $5) or an autographed DVD when it's released (for $25), or a DVD and autographed poster (for $50), or--if you really have moola--a verbal onscreen thank you along with everything else (for $500).

I'm not asking you to do this just because I asked (because you probably wouldn't anyway), but I'd like to encourage everyone to go over and check out the site.  You can view the trailer, read about the film and the Free the Pirates campaign--the whole bit.  Then, if you feel like you want to, you can donate the money.  I anted up $25, just because I'm going to want to own the movie anyway, and that seems like a reasonable enough price for it.  This isn't your typical LDS comedy--think more along the lines of Napoleon Dynamite.  Eric (the director) is a really nice guy, and he's written some funny stuff.  Go check it out.

Here's the link to their home page:

http://www.piratesofthegreatsaltlake.com/

And here's the link to the Free the Pirates page:

http://freethepirates.com/

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Free the Pirates!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:28:35 AM »
I found their link to the MPAA page on piracy offensive, given the humourous nature of the movie.  Trailer looks funny, but I don't feel good supporting the MPAA's sort of piracy.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."