Author Topic: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets  (Read 40470 times)

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »
"Halfing? Dammit, can't ye tell the difference between a halfing and a dwar... oh, you were talking about the small one."

Olan adjusted his bandoleer, and pulled out a rapier and brace of pistols. As he checked the pistols for jams and the rapier for nicks, he said "I'll be right here if anyone's needin' some heroic rescuing from angry guards or anything else like that. I'm not so great at the sneaking game, and those walls be a good deal bigger than I am. I don't climb too well either."

Looking at Dink, he added "So, do ye think ye might be able to throw me to the top if I had a rope and a hook to get onto it with?

Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »
OOC: Is the building a flat, or is it more than one story in some places?

"That might be terribly...rather loud."  Rashial said, apparently to the shrubs he was looking at, "You don't suppose you could climb up a rope I hook to the roof?  If not, perhaps...maybe...you should go with the group, that is the people, which will enter in the ground floor."

"I will try to see with the doings of the guards.  I will also see if there is an entry point on the roof, and get a basic layout of the inside, if I can.  Psych me up...with the mind...a message if I need to meet up with a person..."

With that Rashial said something quietly to himself, then knelt next to the plant he had been looking at, saying, "Hold on a while..."

With that he morphed himself into a small, black monkey, nodded at at Solon, and scurried over the wall, scurrying quietly towards the garden in the most shadowed areas he could find.  While running he took in his surroundings, looking for guards, and, upon seeing any, avoiding them as best as he could.  He took in their locations and where they seemed to be heading when he could, and if he could not avoid a guard, he turned invisible and quietly ran by the guard until he reached the garden.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:58 PM »
((I will edit the map to show how tall buildings are))

Dink looked at the dwarf. "I'm certain I could get you onto a first or second story roof. I can't guarantee how soft the landing will be, however."

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2007, 04:06:35 PM »
"The hardness of the landing doesn't matter all that much. Once, at my request, my crew shot me out of one of our cannons just to see what would happen. I was just fine, though that rather unfortunate whale was a bit worse off for the endeavor."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
OOC: Is anybody still checking this?  In the last week, only four players, including the GM, have posted...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:13:48 PM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2007, 01:12:34 PM »
OOC: Yeah, I'm still checking it on a daily basis.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »
OOC: Yeah, I still check it
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
((I updated the map so it has red numbers indicating how many stories the building has at certain points. And I'm sorry, I owe Gorgon some post))

Rashial doesn't notice any regular patterns of guard movements, but he gets across the yard and into the garden with relative certainty that he wasn't spotted. The garden is almost forest-like, paradise for the mobility of something like a monkey, with branches stretching over almost every inch of ground. There are shrubs on the ground and on the paths small flowers grow at the edges.

The rest of you outside the wall don't notice any regular patrols either. Though it stands to reason that there would be a scheduled change of guard at the entrances.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2007, 06:58:49 PM »
Looking around the garden with pleasure, Rahial gets into a tree and maked his way through the garden, trying to be quiet.  He looked around for guards, as always, and took a special precaution to look for any traps--after all, this is a private garden.  If he saw anybody, he climbed high into a tree to avoid them, and only went invisible if absolutely necessary to remain unnoticed.  He would not  have, however, go invisible if he is already seen, he would try to act natural, hoping there were some exotic animals expected to be in the garden.  Taking in a special note of any animal he might see, he made his way to the tree closest to the three-story tall wall, at which point he carefully climbed up the wall and made his way to the roof.  Once near the roof, he peeked over to check for any guards, looked into the air for faery guards, as well, then, assuming there were no guards, looked about the roof for possible entry points--skylights and open areas.

If there were no entry points, he would make his way back down the wall from which he came and go inside any open third-story window with nobody inside.  If there were, he'd inspect them, and if it seemed safe, he would go inside through one of these entry points instead.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2007, 03:23:39 AM »
((A quick apology:  School has gotten nasty for me, and I'm unavailable until the end of April.  Feel free to NPC Orfeo until then, or you can kill him off, if you prefer.  I'll be back in a few weeks.  Once again, sorry for having flaked like this.))
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2007, 04:54:39 AM »
It happens, thanks for letting us know!
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »
((Yeah, we'll NPC him for a while. Meaning, if the guys want him to do something, they will say they're asking him to do something))

The garden is surprisingly empty -- no wandering monsters. You do, however, find a tea party being held in one of the small clearings. 3 men, two women, all human. There are no fairy or other flying guards either. You make it safely to the roof. There is a small trap door set in the roof there, and a mounted spyglass at all four corners of the area you stand on. Slipping in, you find a  ladder that goes down into a small dark room. The only light coming from the trapdoor you just entered. A door is set into the south wall.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »
Rashial stopped silently for a moment, apparently thinking.  He then doubled back up the ladder, walked to the end of the roof, and crawled back down to the garden carefully, still watching for guards, if not as vigorously.  He went towards the party-goers, and went invisible, and climbed up the nearest tree, trying to slowly get close enough to listen, making any movement of branches look like it was caused by wind.  If he couldn't get close enough in the tree, and the party-goers didn't seem to be paying attention, he carefully got just within listening range on the ground.  He listened for a few minutes, looking around as he did, listening for anything on the statue, guard shifts--anything of value.  Although, this was apparently a social party and he didn't expect any free information, he knew he should try.  He could always explore the inside later.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2007, 06:17:45 AM »
Solon explored the streets around the grounds, checking for anything unusual, or anything that might be a problem in the eventual escape. He tried to be as inconspicuous as possible, while also looking for any suspicious characters that might be lookouts for the lord.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »
Rashial discovered that the garden tea party appeared to be just that: a tea party. There both women were overweight and dressed in very fine clothing. The men two of the men are quite fat as well: one wears a fashionable suit, the other a military uniform that he can barely keep buttoned. The final man is rail thin, and wears a military uniform. This last one is quite old, covered with wrinkles and gray hair.

Behind the back wall there is a large pile of stinking, rotting refuse, Solon discovered to his nasal discomfort. It is apparently where the garbage generated by the facility is dumped. Ramshackle slum buildings stand close to the wall of the estate, but not too close. While there are a number of people who walk past along all three walls but the side with the trash pile, you don't see any repeats.