Author Topic: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets  (Read 40482 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2007, 05:35:42 AM »
"Well, alright, but I'd probably better sign this contract, first."

Orfeo reaches up into his sleeve, and extracts the contract, which happens to be larger than him, and begins flipping through it.

"So… er… does anyone know how you go about signing a contract?"

"Oh, and when I get there, what am I looking for?  I mean, if I come back and say it's  two stories tall, they have no taste in decorations, and there are three cows in the meadows, will you be happy?"
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 08:23:23 AM »
Solon smiled, ever so slightly. "Actually, Orfeo, I'm more curious about things like patrol patterns, possible entrances and exits, building heights, and anything else that might show us a possible weakness."
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »
"It's good...that we're getting started.  We should bring paper and ink to draw maps, perhaps?"

Rashial walked over to Orfeo, looking at what he was doing, then said, "Also, I'm assuming somebody knows how to know how to get there?"
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
"I want to go to.  I want a good look at the help.  Servants, the butler, and cooks - people like that.  I can be very...  convincing in my disguises.  I won't be noticed."

Keating looks over to Solon for approval.  His features shimmer ever so slightly, so that its nearly impossible to tell what color his eyes are.
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »
Dink spoke up. "I am familiar enough with the area. I can give you directions how to get there. I know little enough about the location itself though. And I won't be very inconspicuous. I'm big enough to be seen, and small enough for a struct to be remembered."

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
"Alright, while they're all off sneakin' about, what do ye want me to be doing?" Olan asked Solon. His accent seemed to have switched almost mid-sentence, going from fairly erudite to pirate for no apparent reason.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
"Alright, I guess we should all go, seeing as so many of us are required to go anyway. Rashial, no need for ink and paper, since we will all be there to see. You and Orfeo both already know your jobs. Keating, if you need to get into the mansion to do your work, I suppose you should go ahead and do that. Just be careful about who you impersonate."

"Olan," Solon turned around, looking for the dwarf. "You, Dink, and I will watch the perimeter, to monitor the traffic around the mansion. We're watching for any regular patrols, any strange comings and goings, or anyone who might pose a threat to our escape. We want our exits clear. And even though we aren't going to be on the mansion grounds, I still want us to be as subtle as possible.  You never know who might happen to pass by."

With that, Solon turned back to the rest of the group. "Alright everyone. Let's get to it."
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »
Rashial looks around at the group, then slinks from his wall and follows the leader.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
Olan took a swig from his flask, and followed Solon out of the building.

"Subtle? Perhaps you should wear your big feathery hat for this occasion, comrade. It would surely give the guards something to look at while the others sneak about," Jobber whispered to Olan as they left the building. At this suggestion, Olan twirled his mustache a bit, and began to give some serious thought to it.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »
It's not difficult to get the layout from the street, so here's the "map." Circles are the locations of doors, there are two gates off the street, where the brown road runs to the edge of the map.

Tell me where you're patrolling, starting points, places you attempt to enter, etc.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 06:53:25 PM »
Out of character: How high are the walls around the estate?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
OOC: And what are they made of?  Like, what's the texture (is it climbable for, say, a monkey)?  Same questions for the buildings.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »
The walls are not that high. Perhaps seven feet. They're primarily brick, with a wrought iron top of spikes that appears primarily decorative. There are granite pillars ever twenty feet or so ((or maybe some other rock, when I don't know what kind of rock it is I always take it for granite)). The buildings themselves are of various materials. The facings of the walls of the main palace are made of marble blocks, as is the guest house. The stables are wood, and the other buildings are a combination of stone and wood. There are trees, shrubs, and flowers throughout the lawn, but no dense vegtation anywhere but the private garden.

A monkey of small size wouldn't have much difficulty climbing any of the surfaces. Though larger or less dextrous creatures would. The cracks between blocks are small.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2007, 10:49:20 PM »
OOC: Making the possibly dumb assumption that at this point we are all standing at the outskirts of the mansion, looking in with our newly discovered information in the form of a map...also,

"Well folks...persons...little persons and big persons...and faeries...not that faeries aren't people.  Where'd that darn halfling go?" Rashial stumbled over his words in a metaphorical carriage crash as he looked around, somewhat confused.  He stopped for a second, then looked at Keating and said, "am not!" defensively, then continued with, "oh, she left some time ago..."

"Well, let the faerie fly above and look for entry points on the roof, I'll crawl around the inside for a bit, and...get the internal layout?  The...yes...good...Keating?  What else should we look for?  Surely patrol patterns will be different at night than they are during the day.  Good exit and entry points? ...I...I...sush!  Ideas?"
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2007, 07:38:11 PM »
"Yes, Rashial, all of those are good ideas. Also, see if you can't at least get a count on how many guards there are."

Solon turned to Keating.

"I know you wanted to get a better look around, but there are only two options right now, for us to get you in. You can either attempt to talk yourself in through the guards, or we can boost you over the wall. However, if we boost you over the wall, you will have to get yourself back out without our support, since we won't be in contact anymore. Your best options then are to either meet up with Rashial, or to talk yourself back out again. Now, are you sure you can do this without getting caught?"