Author Topic: Obscured by Species  (Read 2977 times)

waldflieger

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Obscured by Species
« on: May 14, 2005, 03:59:51 AM »
I just joined this forum.  I was looking for a way to submit my comic to be reviewed, but couldn't really find a link.  My comic is Obscured by Species, and it's been running for over a year now.  I'm in the process of making my first printed comic-book of it.  It's a humor-based, cartoon-style comic.  You can find it at http://www.obscuredbyspecies.com .  I hope you enjoy it, and tell me what you think.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Obscured by Species
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:46:49 AM »
/me makes a note to check it out from work, where he has a conection that doesn't drive him insane.

THere's not really a place to submit a cartoon for review. You kind of have to wait for someone to decide they want to write about it. EUOL used to do that a lot, but he doesn't really anymore. He thinks his career is more important or something.

Anyway, just by posting in this forum you'll probably get several people to go and take a look and give you some comments.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Be sure to introduce yourself and read the FAQs! You're doing good so far, you linked in the right space.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
The comic seems pretty good, but... isn't the format kind of unnecessary?  The comics themselves could be sized quite a bit smaller and then you could have more than one panel on a page. Why should we have to constantly click through? It's kind of  annoying.
I realize though that this is balanced out by how quickly the comics then load in order.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:53:11 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
Hmm never mind, it's only the first few that use that format apparently.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

mulchNator

• Level 4
  • "Let's get the hell out of here"  Army of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 05:55:28 PM »
I think that your comics are funny.  You did a good job!  The humor in them was pretty funny!;D

waldflieger

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 02:50:16 AM »
I have the panels separated one panel per click so that more emphasis is placed on them.  I find that story-driven comics lose something on the internet, and this is my way of trying to make up for that.  Thanks for your comments.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
Good humor, consistent art.

However, you do need to work on your navigation. "first page of this comic" isn't clear. "Storyline" is a little more clear. And since there is a continuity, it should be more clear what order things are supposed to be in when you first get to the archive page. I also  agree with fuzzy, I don't think the one-panel per click thing works. It's somewhat irritating.

However, it's a funny comic. What's your posting schedule?

waldflieger

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
My posting schedule is I try to update once a week.  There's no set day or anything.  I used to update one page at a time, and it was easier to have set days of when I updated, but it sort of killed any humor that was going on because each page was taken out of context.

I took into consideration that the one panel per click thing might be irritating for some people, so I offer alternate versions of the comics.  Underneath each Flash comic is a link to a GIF version.  I still feel the one panel per click is the most effective way to get my humor across on the internet, though.