Author Topic: Dragonsteel  (Read 59397 times)

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Dragonsteel
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:22:33 AM »
Did I read your webpage right?  You're writing Dragonsteel!?  Yay!  Is this the Dragonsteel we know, or is it a completely different one? 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:35:46 AM by Spriggan »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Dragonsteel
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:59:49 AM »
It's the one with the clepto reptile.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
It amuses me that "steel" is not hte same as "steal" and yet the mis-spelled "klepto" is still used.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »
Priceless, Sprig, truly priceless.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Heh.  Wondering how long it would take people to notice this.

Yes, it's looking like my next series--after Warbreaker, which is looking like it will be a two-book cycle--will be set in the Dragonsteel world.  I'm revamping the setting significantly, mashing it together with Aether of Night, which always had a cool magic system but a weaker plot. 

I have some sample chapters done, actually.  Dragonsteel is now the series name, and the first book will be titled "The Liar of Partinel."  (Probably.)  The book you all read (now tentatively titled "The Eternal War") will be the third or fourth book in the series, and we will wait that long to introduce Jerick, Ryalla, and Bat'Chor.  "Liar" will take place some five hundred years before "The Eternal War." 

If anyone is willing to take a look at the chapters for me and give me comments, I'd appreciate it.  I have to turn my attention right now to the Mistborn 3 rewrite, so I won't be able to work on Liar for a while.  It would be nice to get some thoughts on this intro before I dive back into the book, since I only consider these 'sample' chapters, which I may revise--or even toss aside--when I start working on the book full time.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:06:52 PM »
Since I am getting to the tail end of my school stuff, I would be more than happy to read anything you put in front of me. And no, I won't just tell you what I think you want to hear, I will be as honest as I can about how I think they are. But, I don't have any publishing, writing, or any other experience, other than I am an avid reader who knows what they like. :) Just let me know.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 11:11:44 PM »
I want it. Oh, I want it so bad. And I just finished my novel rewrite this morning from 4:15 to 7:08 AM (letting me go back to sleep for an hour, not that I'm sure I slept any), so I am free!

The book not being the first in the series would probably ruin my favorite "wow" moment of the book, but oh well. I'm looking forward to Cephandrius Maxtori, and I'm curious how the magic systems will blend with the Aether ones.

You are such a cannibal.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:16:49 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »
Congratulations on finishing the re-write Ookla :D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:34:10 AM »
For a limited time, here's a link to download the initial draft of Dragonsteel: The Liar of Partinel.  There are six chapters here, so it's about 1/10 of the book, which is all I have done right now.

What I'm looking for:  Honest responses to characters, mostly.   The third one is the least well-developed in this section, I'm afraid.  I'll try to get another chapter for them done so that we can look at them more in-depth. 

I intend this to be the beginning of a six (or more) book series, so I need to make certain to start it off right.  Feel free to email me with guesses at plot spoilers and the like, and to email me back edited manuscripts, if you feel like it.  I fear that some of the surprises in the book are too obvious in this version of the draft, so I'd appreciate it if you'd keep spoiler guesses to emails.  Criticism, however, can simply go in the thread here. 

Dragonsteel Sample Chapters
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:47:50 AM by Spriggan »

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 06:23:13 AM »
Well, for one thing, every time I read the title of Book One, I see Lair of Whatever, not Liar.  I think it's because I see Dragon and Liar so close together, so my mind keeps trying to say Liar must be a typo.  I don't know if that's just me, though.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
Parker,

That's a good point, but to be honest, on the front of the book it will say "The Liar of Partinel" only.  If Dragonsteel is mentioned, it will be small--and perhaps only on the inside title page.

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:05:31 AM »
So wait, I'm totally confused as to what you've released, EUOL.

There's Elantris- which is a standalone.
Then you have the Mistborn trilogy?

And the book you're writing online right now, the Warbreaker one?

What else?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
Twelve other unpublished novels, U-boat.  Mistborn was my fourteenth book, Elantris my sixth.  One, named Dragonsteel, was my seventh and a number of the people on my forums knew me when I started writing it.  It was, in a way, the book that 'made me famous' among my group of friends.  So, many of them are excited to hear that I'm reworking the setting and planning to do the book for the big leagues. 

Dragonsteel Prime, the original, just isn't publishable as is.  There were some great ideas, but I didn't have the skill at the time to make them work.  So, I'm stealing some of the best ideas--and characters--and planning a new series around them.  Hence Ookla calling me a cannibal, since I'm 'Cannibalizing' my old ideas to make new books. 

The following is a complete Brandon Sanderson Bibliography, published and unpublished.  Prime indicates an early attempt at a book which was later redone.  (Note that when I redo a book like this, it isn't a 'rewrite.'  Generally, it's me taking some elements from the setting and writing a whole new book in that setting, using old ideas and mixing them with fresh ones.)  Published books are in bold.

1) White Sand Prime (My first book, took two + years to write.  1998)
2) Star's End (Science fiction.  1998)
3) Lord Mastrell (Sequel to White Sand Prime.  1999)
4) Knight Life (Fantasy comedy.  1999)
5) The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora (Science fiction.  1999)
6) Elantris (2000.  Published by Tor: 2005)
7) Dragonsteel (2000)
8 ) White Sand (2001)
9) Mythwalker (Never finished. 2001)
10) Mistborn Prime (Stole the magic system and title for a later book.  2002)
11) Final Empire Prime (Stole a character, some setting elements, and title for a later book.  2002)
12) The Aether of Night (2002)
13) The Way of Kings (350,000 words.  Took a long time.  2003)
14) Mistborn: The Final Empire (2004, Published by Tor 2006)
15) Mistborn: The Well of Ascension (2005.  Contracted to Tor for 2006)
16) Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians (2005.  Contracted to Scholastic for 2006)
17) Mistborn: The Hero of Ages (2006.  Contracted to Tor for 2007)
18) Warbreaker (2006.  Tentatively to be released by Tor for 2007)
19) Alcatraz vs. The Scrivener’s Bones (2006.  Contracted by Scholastic for 2008)
20) Dragonsteel: The Liar of Partinel (Unfinished.  2007?)
21) Alcatraz vs. The Knights of Crystallia (Planned.  2007  Contracted by Scholastic for 2009)
22) Nightblood (Planned.  2008)
23) Dragonsteel: The Lightweaver of Rens (Planned. 2008)
24) Alcatraz vs. The Dark Talent (Planned.  2008.  Contracted for Scholastic for 2010)

I'm not sure if I got all of those dates right, but the order is correct.  I'm finished with all the books up to Dragonsteel, though Mistborn 3, Warbreaker, and Alcatraz 2 are all only in the third draft stage.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:34:36 PM by EUOL »

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »
Where is the link to download them ALL?  (the ones planned for non-published careers?)

=)
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:04:50 PM »
For a limited time, here's a link to download the initial draft of Dragonsteel: The Liar of Partinel.  There are six chapters here, so it's about 1/10 of the book, which is all I have done right now.Dragonsteel Sample Chapters
Sweet. I'm in! :) Now I'm kinda glad I never finished reading Dragonsteel because my opinion won't be too skewed by what I read before. ;)

Hmm. I really, really need to get those Mistborn III comments to you, huh.... Dang it, I keep forgetting to comb thru my notes and condense it for you, EUOL. Sorry. I *have* written a couple paragraphs of my reactions overall--a sort of "review." Maybe I'll send that to you today and then work on chapter notes this weekend 'cuz I have NO homework. YAY!

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT