Author Topic: Find Fell a job!  (Read 17401 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Find Fell a job!
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:34:34 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm calling in every favor and kindness that I can right now, I'm afraid: I need a job, and I need one fast. I was laid off today, and they gave me no severance at all. We can make it for about a month, and then we're living on credit cards. If you know of any real or freelance jobs that require a lot of writing and/or editing, please let me know (or, frankly, anything else that could help tide us over), please let me know. Thanks!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Find Fell a job!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:45 PM »
Can you post a resume or summary of a resume so we know more details of what to look for?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »
Wow, harsh, Fell.

I'll see what I can around here. How do you feel about moving?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
What about those WotC jobs?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »
Dude.  That sucks.

Apply to Stamp it Up.

I shall keep my eyes peeled wide.

Oh, there's always UPS for an interim.  I hear they have decent wages and benefits.  Top that off with a waiting job at a snazzy restaurant in the evenings...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:58 PM »
http://www.omniture.com/career/43  A friend of mine works there.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:45:47 AM »
I can offer you a job as a source for my research paper about poverty. But I don't think that will help you much.

Well, one of the projects I'm working on is looking for a new Americorp member. Course, there is no way you can support a family on an Americorp living stipend.

I do know someone who works with the state as a employment and career counselor. Her job consists of finding jobs for other people. I can send her an email, but she may not have anything right now.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 03:03:02 AM »
Poor Fell. :( That's so harsh.

I'd also ask your bishop for leads if you haven't. He should be able to help you network with others.

And, actually, I'd urge you to turn to the church welfare system before relying on credit cards. Yes, it sucks to have to rely on that. Believe me, I'm well aware of that. And yet, that's what it's there for, and they have much more than just food. Anyway, the bishop could even help with bills like house payments and utilities.

But with so many people helping you, I'll bet you will find a job. Soon.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:05:24 AM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:10:27 AM »
Ouch, Fell.

Have you seen this ? Apparently BYU is starting up an alumni placement service. It's worth a look.

The only other leads I have right now are the Church magazine internship, which probably doesn't pay well enough and involves a long commute. But if you're interested, PM me and I'll get you the details. I'll also keep an eye out for anything else.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 07:24:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Fell. Good luck!

If you have at least six years of editing experience, you can apply to be a senior editor at the Ensign. It's pretty competitive, though--Church jobs always are. Here's the link: http://www.lds.org/emp/emp2.html, and then scroll down to the very bottom of the list.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
I say you go professional heckler, like the professional beach bully, someone pays you to heckle them at LTUE or other con panel they're on but by the end they get to make a, preplanned, fool out of you and it makes them look smart.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 04:59:45 AM »
Ouch.  That's very bad news.  There have been a slew of openings at Orem Public Library, but none right now.  I'll keep you up to date if any open, though.  I think there will probably be 2 part time (with benefits) in the near future.  That would only be about $15,000 a year, though.  I'll keep an ear out for other opportunities, though.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »
I can give you my boss's email/phone. She runs a consulting company. She often needs writers/editors.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Zokai

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 05:48:33 AM »
Fell, it may not be WON'T be of any help, but I could get you a brand-new headset AND the Burning Crusade expansion pack, and we could waste colossal amounts of time together.

Seriously though, I'll keep an eye out.  Not a real eye out like Kopo, but you get the point.
Hey!  I thought these new forum signatures were supposed to allow 300 characters?  300 characters my as

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 05:22:49 AM »
My Burning Crusade offer still stands--to you and to EUOL.

Though actually, I bet I could make pretty good money as a gold farmer...
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net