Author Topic: I helped Brandon make money  (Read 4804 times)

Shuez

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
I helped Brandon make money
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:36:39 AM »
This Saturday, I was walking by the SciFi/Fantasy section in Borders and I watched a older gentleman tentatively pick up one novel after another; he kept putting each book down eventually. I asked him what kind of fantasy he enjoyed and he stated "everything". I then picked up a copy of Elantris and handed it to him and said "I believe that you should read this, I have not read any other book like it". He thanked me and walked away. A few minutes later, I saw him reading the book while standing in the checkout line. Buy a tasty candy bar with the 48 cent I helped you earn!  ;)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: I helped Brandon make money
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
lol.  You're awesome.

I've been thinking of running a contest through my website.  A "Get someone to buy one of my books, or loan them your copy and get them to read it."  If, on your honor, you get someone to either pay for a book or read the whole thing via library or loaning, I'd enter you into the contest.  The prize would be a signed Mistborn poster from one of my author events. 

What do you all think?  Good idea?  Is the prize worth it?  Too complicated?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:17:57 AM »
Might be too hard to verify, but then again this is more about raising interest in Mistborn and if it does that who cares if people fudge entries.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »
Yeah, it'd have to be an "on your honor" type thing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
No fair!  I've not only shared both Elantris and Mistborn with my significant other, but shared both books with at least half a dozen friends already!  (we're like that anyway).  I'll have to find more victe-er... um...  fans!  Yeah, that's it, fans.

=)
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
I've gotten a slough of people to read both. Can I enter retroactively?

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:57:07 PM »
Yeah, is this a retroactive contest? I have had my brother read Elantris, and two people on another BB that I frequent try Mistborn.

So, if this is retroactive there are my entries so far ;)

Shuez

• Level 3
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »
I love the idea.

I adore the Mistborn cover.    :)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 10:59:04 PM »
Nope it's not retroactive and there's a $30 entry fee because if you loan out MB or Elantris thats how much you're costing is sales to everyone, it's something we've learned from the Music and Movie industry.  Infact everytime you loan out the book you need to pay an additional $30 fee since loaning out books isn't fair use, its breaking copyright law.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:13:01 PM »
I had a random person on the TOKYOPOP forum message me last week to thank me for recommending Elantris.  So I'll be sure to put Well in my sig once it comes out!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »
Um, there's nothing wrong with LOANING media.  It's the reproducing that breaks copyright.  I can loan you a cd.  But you can't legally copy it, and neither can I.  I can loan you Elantris, but I can't photocopy the whole thing and give it to you.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:51:24 PM »
Talk to my RIAA bought hand sister!  You loan it you own someone (me preferable) thirty big ones, and I intend to collect.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 03:45:28 AM »
Proof is in the putting... make the person sign on and write Brandon on his comments on Brandon's books on the website.  This would be confirmation part of it being they had to name the person or SN that gave them/sold them/ lent them/ or recommended the book.  Plus, Brandon gets the bonus of hearing from more fans.   ;)

My best frind Dawn has my copy of Elantris and I sent up links on my RPG groups to Warbreaker and telling them of Brandon's work.  I reached at least 60+ people that way.  But I cannot prove that in anyway.  But, if they reply to the site......  *well off to post some more on my RPG groups.*   :D

Kel
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:48:30 AM by Pterath »

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
Well I've gotten about ten people I actually know to read it so far, and I've plugged it on several occasions on several websites (the last was just an hour ago coincidentally) and to several people (those cards sure do come in handy). Plus I've reccomended it to be purchased for my school library, so I should get to be entered, shouldn't I?
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
Proof is in the putting... make the person sign on and write Brandon on his comments on Brandon's books on the website.  This would be confirmation part of it being they had to name the person or SN that gave them/sold them/ lent them/ or recommended the book.  Plus, Brandon gets the bonus of hearing from more fans. ;)

You know, it's actually much easier (not to mention faster) for me to log on the 3 dozen or so computers here at work and post under a string of aliases than it is to get any of my in-laws (technophobes, the lot of them), to post on anything on the Internet. Especially when they have to go to a specific place and mention me by name.