Author Topic: Best book you've ever read...  (Read 40916 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: Best book you've ever read...
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »
I've been reading a lot of best-seller-type things lately and I think sex scenes are used as a short-hand for emotional involvement.  It is a lot like comedy.  Sex is funny, but it is the cheap way to get a laugh.  The really talented authors, ones I have respect for, can find non-graphic sex ways to describe characters emotional interactions.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »
I've been reading a lot of best-seller-type things lately and I think sex scenes are used as a short-hand for emotional involvement.  It is a lot like comedy.  Sex is funny, but it is the cheap way to get a laugh.  The really talented authors, ones I have respect for, can find non-graphic sex ways to describe characters emotional interactions.

I respect your opinion on that but there really isn't a correlation between talented authors and the use of sex scenes. In my opinion using graphic situations to enhance the "feel" a reader has for a character is a useful tool. Emotions are sometimes intense and writers use these graphic situations to allow the reader to come closer to really "feeling" how the character feels. Sometimes when an author leaves out these situations the characters feel very hollow.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
I have overstated a bit.  I have read a few sex scenes that added to the story, I feel that the majority of times they are unnecessary. There are a few writers that use them well, the Time-Traveler's Wife for example.  But most of the time they are there just to titillate.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2009, 02:56:09 AM »
Best book I've ever read??  That's a tough one because I have so many things that interest me.  So many different reasons for reading what I read... 

Best Fantasy:  Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
Best Mystery:  Michael Connelly's Black Echo
Best Political Thriller:  Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power
Best Historical Fiction:  Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire -->Absolutely best battle scenes I've ever read!!
Best History:  Anything by Stephen E. Ambrose  -->If I had to pick one it would be D-Day
Best Economics:  Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell
Best Current Events:  Moment of Truth in Iraq by Michael Yon  --> He has an online magazine that is worth reading too
Best Biography:  Ronald Reagan by Dinesh D'Souza
Best Religion:  The Language of God by Francis S Collins
                             What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza  --> Both books use science to show evidence of God

As far as sex scenes I think there are times and places for them in Literature; however, I think they are overused far too  much.  I guess that when I read I just want a good story, and most times sex scenes are just there to be there. 

Postscript:  If anyone does decide to read any historical fiction by Steven Pressfield you may want to visit this cool little site, so you know how to pronounce names and places...  www.howjsay.com
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
I think that the way teenage/young adult culture has evolved has also influenced popular fiction (more specifically, fiction intended for teenage/young adult readers). There is a lot of emphasis on drinking, sex, and drugs nowadays that often finds a way to creep into books.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

kevinpii

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »
I think that the way teenage/young adult culture has evolved has also influenced popular fiction (more specifically, fiction intended for teenage/young adult readers). There is a lot of emphasis on drinking, sex, and drugs nowadays that often finds a way to creep into books.…

try ted dekkers lost books series its a good clean read for the teenage/young adult age group. heck I'm 29 and i enjoy them, but they are geared more toward y/a.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2009, 06:36:22 PM »
Wow.  So I haven't been back to this thread very much since starting it, and it looks like a sub-thread has wound it's way in here.  Thought I'd put in my two cents.

One of the things I've noticed about Martin is that he really goes for the realism aspect in his stories.  He wants the world and the characters to feel real when you read them.  He wants you to get pulled in and live the lives that they're living.  In so doing, there are things that he feels are pertinent to certain characters that he wants to get across, and for some of those he chooses to have important stuff occur during a sex scene.  And, as I've mentioned, he wants to make it seem real.  So, it's graphic.  But the important part here to notice, I think, is that so very little of those scenes actually focuses on the sex.  There aren't long passages that could have been cut from a Harlequin romance novel, and for that I'm grateful.  There are, even, only very rare pieces of those scenes where the point of the scene is set aside, and the characters turn to their lust/love/whatever.  And usually, when they do, the scene will end.  I'd have a hard time saying that Martin was a "bad" writer because he chooses to write those sex scenes, or even that other writers are better than him just because they can write a story with no sex in it.  Now, if someone were to say that Martin could use a little prod in the backside to put more actual "story" into his books, instead of making them so "real", I might have to agree with them.  But equating authorial ability with inclusion of sex scenes is the blind man's route to take, if you ask me.  Then again, what do I know.  I'm just a nobody.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
Wow.  So I haven't been back to this thread very much since starting it, and it looks like a sub-thread has wound it's way in here.  Thought I'd put in my two cents.

One of the things I've noticed about Martin is that he really goes for the realism aspect in his stories.  He wants the world and the characters to feel real when you read them.  He wants you to get pulled in and live the lives that they're living.  In so doing, there are things that he feels are pertinent to certain characters that he wants to get across, and for some of those he chooses to have important stuff occur during a sex scene.  And, as I've mentioned, he wants to make it seem real.  So, it's graphic.  But the important part here to notice, I think, is that so very little of those scenes actually focuses on the sex.  There aren't long passages that could have been cut from a Harlequin romance novel, and for that I'm grateful.  There are, even, only very rare pieces of those scenes where the point of the scene is set aside, and the characters turn to their lust/love/whatever.  And usually, when they do, the scene will end.  I'd have a hard time saying that Martin was a "bad" writer because he chooses to write those sex scenes, or even that other writers are better than him just because they can write a story with no sex in it.  Now, if someone were to say that Martin could use a little prod in the backside to put more actual "story" into his books, instead of making them so "real", I might have to agree with them.  But equating authorial ability with inclusion of sex scenes is the blind man's route to take, if you ask me.  Then again, what do I know.  I'm just a nobody.

You have echoed my opinion/sentiments exactly.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »
I don't think anybody's really a nobody…I mean, I know what you're saying, but everyone's opinions are valid.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
In so doing, there are things that he feels are pertinent to certain characters that he wants to get across, and for some of those he chooses to have important stuff occur during a sex scene.  And, as I've mentioned, he wants to make it seem real.  So, it's graphic.   

Sounds to me like looking for an excuse to include a graphic sex scene without SEEMING to be gratuitous.

From what you said, the important stuff could EASILY have been brought out in a non sexual environment, which means by definition his sex scenes are gratuitous. You have inportant plot info unrelated to sex, and then you have sex which is unimportant to the plot.
Not to say sex can't happen in books. It can and does. However, to use graphic sex merely as a vehicle to convey non-sexual character and plot info smacks of fan service. The only reason you could conceivably NEED to describe a sex scene in detail, is if you NEED to show a part of the character's nature which is only apparent during sex.  However, a part of a person's nature that only shows up at that time is 99.9% superfluous to the plot of the story.

(So, having sex occur in the book, and describing sex in great detail are completely different animals. )

Sure you can provide exquisite plotting and character development during a sex scene. You can also do that writing about someone pooping. And you can do it in a "realistic manner", but it would be in just as bad taste as the other.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:24:18 PM by Loud_G »
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »

Sure you can provide exquisite plotting and character development during a sex scene. You can also do that writing about someone pooping. And you can do it in a "realistic manner", but it would be in just as bad taste as the other.

That statement is as outrageous as it is erroneous. If you prefer to not read authors that use "gratuitous" or "graphic" sequences that is your opinion and that is fine. But to bash an author just because he/she uses those sequences is absurd.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
Hehe I'm going to agree with Loud G 'cause his argument was funnier 8). <chuckle>
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
I think one of the questions we might want to resolve is what makes a "good" or even a "great" author.  I don't think I would call a "great" author bad because of sex scenes, though I might not choose to read him/her.  Toni Morrison for example, I've read a couple, she is great, but I'm not going to keep reading her books.  Martin writes epic fantasy that many people love, to the point of making a series out of it.  I can't say whether he is a "great" author or not, because the book of his I tried made me physically ill.  Some don't mind the graphicness, some do.
I think that is a separate issue from whether or not there is a "creep" as Shaggy says in fiction.  There definitely is.  I did my BA Senior thesis on such creep in one author over twenty years.  This creep is what I really object to.  Though some might feel it makes things more realistic, I 'm not reading fantasy for the realism.  I also don't think it is realistic.  The pervasive sexual culture causes a lot of problems, which I am a) not going to list here and b) not even remotely laying at the feet of fiction authors.  It is a symptom of what happens in our society generally.  That creep is everywhere.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
As a child currently immersed in the oblivious (for the most part) worlds of other children I can sense the "creep" on full effect, and it is truly disheartening and sad, particularly because I must choose my friends from among these children and often find what they listen to/watch/enjoy doing quite sad.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »
So, to get back to the original topic, Do you have books where you can't stop thinking about them, even after the book(s) are done?  Robert Jordan did that for me.  I read the first four books in 3 days, (I was unemployed at the time) and couldn't get the people out of my head.  It drove me crazy for a while.  Each time I read a new one of his it happened again, even the later ones that I didn't like so much.  I'm waiting to do the big re-read before book 12 until next fall, when all but one of my kids will be in school and I can be evil and read all day.