Poll

Look at everything on you, using the forumla below what CR are you?

Not even CR 0
0 (0%)
CR 1/1000
3 (50%)
CR 1/100
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/50
0 (0%)
CR 1/25
0 (0%)
CR 1/16
0 (0%)
CR 1/10
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/8
0 (0%)
CR 1/4
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/2
0 (0%)
CR 2/3
0 (0%)
I'm rich suckers!-CR 1+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: What's your Encounter Level-D&D gold and us currency exchange rate  (Read 7285 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: What's your Encounter Level-D&D gold and us currency exchange rate
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 01:38:13 AM »
I wish dungeon keys had keyless entry. So many video games would be so much easier if you could just push a button on a mysterious key and hear a door beep down a cavern somewhere.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
so thats how it worked in tomb raider... wish those ancients had smaller more portable keyless entry though.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »
You can't compare a D&D gold piece with our world's economy.  Our gold prices are determined by the supply (what is mined, stored, released from mints in various products) and what is demanded (jewelry, various cords/connectors). 

If everyone in the world had a small piece of gold (or even easy access to it) it would be very cheap (not worhtless, its still a useful metal).

The problem with D&D economies (other than being static without some good DM work) is that a common laborer (1st level commoner with 4 ranks is one skill, and a +2 modifier) makes 1sp/day.  That is all the information given about how to run a whole economy.  There is nothing about scaling, inflations, flooded markets, or rare materials.

However, all that being said - the average player (and DM) really gives a crap about real world economic rules and just wants to cash in the 12,345gp worth of gems to get a +2 sword.

=)
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...