Poll

Look at everything on you, using the forumla below what CR are you?

Not even CR 0
0 (0%)
CR 1/1000
3 (50%)
CR 1/100
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/50
0 (0%)
CR 1/25
0 (0%)
CR 1/16
0 (0%)
CR 1/10
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/8
0 (0%)
CR 1/4
1 (16.7%)
CR 1/2
0 (0%)
CR 2/3
0 (0%)
I'm rich suckers!-CR 1+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: What's your Encounter Level-D&D gold and us currency exchange rate  (Read 7163 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
From http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061110a

So let’s generously assume a D&D gold piece contains approximately 1/4 ounce of gold (the coin itself might weigh more, depending on the purity of the coin, etc.). Taking a look at today’s prices, gold is currently trading at around $580 per ounce. That means a D&D gold piece might be considered the equivalent of roughly $145.

then from the SRD a CR 1 encounter is worth 300gp which would make it $43,500 dollars for that encounter.

Man adventurers make some good money even though they can't get health insurance.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:16:34 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: D&D gold and us currency exchange rate
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »
I've got about $420 worth of stuff on me (MP3 player, Watch, cash) and am not including my car or anything at my apartment.

I'm worth about 3 GP after rounding up so CR 1/100, I doubt any random adventurer will be killing me for my loot.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: What's your Encounter Level-D&D gold and us currency exchange rate
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:30:26 PM »
You sir, are wrong... thats tavern money right there, and your also worth a few XP.

Actually, the above is why I dont really like the D&D monetary system. I mean think about PC's who need 10,000 gp to make a magic item? Thats enough gold to make gold worthless. Maybe thats why I love the D20 modern system. Sure it makes cash abstract, but it also makes it easier to explain. And players futz with accounting much less.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:33:58 PM by Mad Dr Jeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 11:07:19 PM »
Well a better way to figure out the cost of gold would be to take a loaf of bread in our currency (average around 1.50) and in D&D money (2cp) so you could then say:

1 cp= $.75
1sp = $7.5
1gp=$750

Which is a lot more then what the Wizards article says one is worth.  But then you have to account for different economics then our world since that load of bread is more attune to something you'd by at a bakery and not a grocery store, so hand made, plus the difference in cost between flour and other raw ingredients.  Then you half to take into consideration inflation on the us dollar, when D&D was first written in the 70s bread probably cost like $.50, it's all something that would be interesting to see an accurate conversion but considering every D&D world is fake it's something that's hard to compare too (supposedly prices in their worlds don't change by era or year).

Anyway, that's all besides the point of this thread, which was to offer something funny to talk about and see based on wizard's website how many of us it would take to equal the reward of a level one encounter.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
I'm not counting credit cards.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »
So when I'm packing around my greatsword, that is worth 50gp in DnD.  Which converts to over 7000$, a lot more than I actually paid for it.  Of course, I would be a tougher challege to get it compared to someone armed with a wallet full of cash and a walkman.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:23:26 PM »
Your greatsword is probably not worth 50gp in D&D.  Most modern Medieval weapons are made for show, and aren't remotely as effective as their Medieval counterparts.

There are a few smiths out there who do, however, make quality replicas.  These tend to be very expensive.  If you happen to have one, consider yourself lucky, and well-armed.  =þ
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:44:08 PM »
I know EP has a handmade one, just like EUOL and I.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
Give me a little credit, I do know a thing or two about real swordfighting.  Just saying that adventuring equipment is a bit overpriced.  Full plate is 1,500 gp, coverted to 217,500$.  That is more than even a good job pays in a year, but even in the middle ages, a year's wages of a blacksmith (who made decent money) supposedly could fully equip a knight.  That would be armor, weapons, and mount.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »
I am in no way defending D&D's economic system.

Or D&D at all, actually.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »
i think the person who decided to research the gold to USD ratio is just a Nerd Cred Whore. The person who really gets the nerd cred is the guy who determines what a broadsword would be worth in USD, then discovers the USD to D&D gp ratio is. THEN uses that to determine CR. Note that gold isn't the only thing that determines CR, your ability to screw up an adventuring party's plans are the most important factor.

But Since there's a laptop in my lap, which is *not* the computer I'm typing on, which I won't count, though technically, it would, since the adventurers would certainly loot it if they killed me here in my office, I'm putting my value, not counting bank cards, at roughly$1500. That makes me, what? 6 or 7 gp? Nonsense.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »
The thing is Medeval money was also really messed up, for an accurate interperitation of finances you should prolly look at S.John Ross's Fief PDF which goes into great detail about the cost of stuff. Money just didn't exist in places and barter was a lot more common. 

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
I hadn't considered credit cards, but since I have two in my wallet, and one of them has a massive credit line (high enough that they should be imprisoned for even offering it), I should probably raise my CR quite a bit. In non-credit terms I'm exceptionally poor.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
I purposely didn't add credit since the cards are easy to track and deactivate, it would be like finding a magic sword only have someone turn off it's magical abilities because it was stolen thus it becomes worthless.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »
so let me get this straight?... I can earn xp and gold by phishing? SWEET!