Author Topic: Thomas Aquinas on women  (Read 5638 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Aquinas on women
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 02:30:02 PM »
No argument there.  Debt makes things more and more difficult to change.  

But it's not like growing debt is some sort of natural force.  

**Edit: I reread your post and understood what you were actually talking about.  

I managed to get myself and my family through college working menial jobs and while I did incur some debt I'm now paying it off, using the skills I invested in developing.  So I have trouble buying your idea that anyone who has to work a menial job is in a trap with no way out.  There's always an alternative.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 02:37:52 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »
I'm the same, I've incurred a lto of debt. But most of that debt was incurred actually gaining the skills I now use to pay it off.

well, the difference is, I know people here who already have a family. They can't go to school full time, they may not even be able to get a loan to do it. Trade schools are amazingly expensive, comparable to college education in many cases. I don't think anyone is 100% trapped, but I do think that it takes enough that we can call them effectively trapped.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2005, 01:06:15 AM »
I generally agree with Saint E here (surprisingly enough) with most everything he has said.  For any Saints involved, we should always remember Mosiah 4:19 in regards to situations like this.

I believe that often (but not always - there's always the "sins of the parents", or people who suffer for their parents choices) people do get themselves into these poor situations with their poor choices.  However, just because they have brought this upon themselves does not mean we should not have compassion on them and endeavor to help them improve their conditions.

In regards to the initial content of the thread, I'd like to put forth that many Medieval and ancient European Societies did not share Aquinas' views of women, particularly among Germanic and Celtic peoples - among the Vikings, for example, women had a great deal of influence.  They didn't vote in the things, but the woman was in charge of managing the home estate (including finances), and could divorce her husband over almost anything (one recorded instance was for the wearing of effeminate clothing).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 01:06:37 AM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."