Author Topic: Stupid computer  (Read 2341 times)

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Stupid computer
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:24:23 AM »
My computer was making a lot of noise, more than normal - enough so that I couldn't leave it on at night while I slept.  So I'm thinking, I'll just get a new case with a better fan and stuff (not that I know that much about computers).  The new case is wonderful, and it's whole selling point is how quite it makes your computer.  So I move everything over - amazingly everything goes smoothly and no problems.
However . .. it wasn't my case making all that noise.  I just found out it was the little fan on my motherboard!  >:(  So this either means I try and buy a new fan somewhere (for my 5 year old motherboard) or I get a new motherboard (and all the accesories required when you get a new motherboard).  Grrrrr....

(Option C: leave it alone and turn it off every night.  I'd rather not because the noise is seriously worrying me.)
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid computer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:13:02 AM »
Can you clean the fan?

Also, sleep the computer at night...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:19:54 AM »
in terms of how much parts cost, the processor fan is realtively inexpensive. Of course, now they have "cooling systems" which involve complex interactions of multiple fans and heat sinks...

Anyway, try cleaning hte fan, if that helps, good. If it doesn't, I wouldn't ignore it.  A fan that has turned noisy is probably starting to malfunction. You do NOT want to leave your processor uncooled. They tend to meltdown or burn themselves out. And THAT will be more expensive than replacing the fan.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:13:27 PM »
I cleaned the fan when I moved it over to the new case.  I'm not sure, but I think it made more noise.  Maybe there's less dust to insulate all the noise now.  Anyway, I'll just get a new fan soon.  Also, I'm not sure if my computer can sleep at night.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 04:21:29 PM »
Well, if you are running a server or downloading large files overnight, it can't, but if you're not doing anything special, then it should be possible...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:05:57 PM »
My laptop fan makes quite a bit of noise.  I'm not sure, but I think it's been this way for a very long time (perhaps since I got it?)

Is this something I should be concerned about?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »
is it just a loud fan? or does it crunch or grind?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »
It's just a loud fan.  No grinding or anything.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:02:14 PM »
If it's always done it, I wouldn't worry about it. Some fans are just loud. If it suddenly goes quiet, THEN worry.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 11:15:26 PM »
And if it starts writing redrum all over the walls, contact the police immediately.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 12:35:07 AM »
You know, REDRUM is written on one of my walls - the door frame, actually.  In black ink.