Author Topic: Religion (Potentially sensitive)  (Read 33622 times)

Drakogy

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • For the wind and I are the same.
    • View Profile
Re: For Brandon - Religion (Potentially sensitive)
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:10 AM »
Im sorry, I apologize for the misunderstanding and thank you for looking into it.  Also what is the underlying reason why they say that you are not ready to understand? Is it because whence you get in that far you cannot get out? The Bible does not hide anything so why should the Church? This is what happened with the Catholic Church. They got too power hungry and started to pervert GOD's word. Yes this is seen in all religious organizations. What is important is to stick with the Bible only. 

This is one reason why I do not hold the Mormon doctrine to be true.
Another is the contradictions in the revisions. http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changeappendixb.htm
The undeniable shady history of the Church.
There is no reason for the Bible to change. The Old testament prophesized the coming of Jesus and the New Testament is the coming of Christ and his victory over sin and Death. With this completed why would He change it. If he was going to change it he would have given a warning from the beginning. But Jesus states the opposite.

Matthew 24:23-25
At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or, 'There he is!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time.

These are my reasons why

Thank You for your time.
What lies beneath lust or love?

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2008, 02:37:44 AM »
It seems like you're actually reading and wondering about the posts. That's good. Therefore, I'll respond.

It's not "I'm not ready to understand." Sure, there's doctrine that I don't know as well as others, but I'm not going to seek them out to learn more about them, because I'll learn about them when I'm ready. Some doctrine is so deep that you have to have a certain understanding of God and how he works to comprehend them. I'd rather not be condemned for doctrine that I learned before I was ready, and therefore didn't follow.

Word of advice--when researching ANY religion, you don't want to just go to sources that are anti that particular religion. If you're going to research the LDS church, go ahead and use the sources you're using, but you had better back it up with sources at such sites like lds.org or mormon.org if you intend on getting into discussions. You want to make sure that the non-church sources you're reading are accurate.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Kalam

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2008, 03:18:14 AM »
First off, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Sanderson and didn't even realize the Mormon leaning of himself and this forum until I found this thread. I understand that so far the discussion has been mainly between the philosophical views of Mormons, but I would like to challenge the religion based purely on what we can relate to, historical documents and peoples. I couldn't find a better spot to do so than this thread, so sorry in advance for thread-jacking.  ;)

To start off with is an interesting documentary created by the Living Hope Ministries.
http://www.lhvm.org (should be the main video on the site: THE BIBLE VS THE BOOK OF MORMON)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mFdO1wB08& (youtube link)

The video is one hour and six minutes long, so I'd suggest snacks while you watch.

This documentary, produced by the Living Hope Ministries in Brigham City, Utah, remains faithful to its explicit purpose: to determine if the Book of Mormon truly is comparable with the Bible. While the individuals behind the film are Christians, as they readily admit, this is not really an examination of faith per se. What it really tries to do is put both the Book of Mormon and the Bible in context alongside geographical, historical, and scientific facts. To put it in a nutshell, this video succeeds in proving that there a single piece of evidence for the factual basis of the Book of Mormon. It is not an attack on the Mormon faith in and of itself, as faith is by definition unquantifiable, but the implication is about as clear as can be - if the Book of Mormon is riddled with factual errors, it cannot be the inspired word of God.

It is an incontrovertible fact that not a single piece of evidence has been found to substantiate the factual basis of the Book of Mormon. In consultation with a diverse group of geologists, anthropologists, historians, archaeologists, linguists, and other experts, the makers of this documentary walk the viewer through the evidence step by step. There is plenty of evidence to support the historical authenticity of both the Old Testament and the New Testament - non-Biblical sources referring to Biblical figures (including Jesus Christ), ancient manuscripts containing some or all of the various Books of the Bible, verifiable locations of important events, evidence of past cultures in the region during the right times, etc. As one expert succinctly puts it, the Bible is archaeologically sound.

In contrast with the Bible, there is no factual basis for the Book of Mormon. There are no ancient manuscripts pre-dating Joseph Smith's discovery in 1830 of the golden plates (which themselves are not extant for any type of investigation). We are told of three large civilizations in the ancient Americas and written records produced over the course of a thousand years, but there is no evidence that any of these large civilizations existed - no ruins, no skeletal remains, no tools or handcrafts. Where are any of the 30+ major cities the Book of Mormon talks about? Why can't the LDS produce a single map corresponding with anything resembling earth's geography? Why have no sites been discovered containing the slightest bit of evidence for the metallurgical accomplishments spoken of in the Book of Mormon? We are told that the Nephite civilization spoke and wrote in the language of Reformed Egyptian, a language that simply never existed on this earth. Not a single one of the metallic coins reportedly used for over a millennium have been found, nor any sign of metallurgical advancement dating back to that time. Why is there no applicable evidence whatsoever from Cumorah, the site of two intense battles that reportedly left hundreds of thousands of warriors dead? Where are the chariot pieces, steel swords, mass graves, etc.? And what of all those horses the warriors rode into battle hundreds of years before horses were first introduced to the New World by the Europeans?

When you break down some of the most basic "facts" contained in the Book of Mormon, it's obvious that many of them are categorically wrong if not impossible. The book talks about animals and plants that were not in that region; there is no evidence of even the most basic metallurgy, let alone steel swords and golden tablets; there's not even the first arrowhead found at the site of two fierce, large-scale battles. Setting aside religion altogether, it's obvious that the Book of Mormon is simply riddled with factual errors. This stands in contrast to the Holy Bible, which is archaeologically, geographically, and historically sound. Whether or not you are a Christian and follow the teachings of Jesus, you can be assured that the people and places referred to in the Bible actually existed; if you are a Mormon, you have to have blind faith in a "Scripture" that is provably false. The primary purpose of this documentary is to challenge Mormons to take a good, hard look at their faith - and it succeeds admirably in doing just that. Two of the most effective interview subjects are LDS anthropologists who set out to prove that the Book of Mormon was factual and ended up leaving the church after failing to come up with a single piece of evidence.
Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1FZJ4FZIC5R25/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I would appreciate a discussion with those who believe in Mormonism about their thoughts of the video and what it brings forth after watching it. Is the video inaccurate or wrong? Is it correct and what does that then mean? Etc.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:54 AM »
We are told that the Nephite civilization spoke [...] in the language of Reformed Egyptian
Wrong. We are told nothing of the sort.
a language that simply never existed on this earth.
Wrong. Demotic is a "reformed" Egyptian script. You know, like on the Rosetta Stone, where it was alongside hieroglyphics and Greek.

Kalam, the stuff you quoted can be refuted point by point. Am I interested in doing so? No, but the fact that simple points like these are wrong suggest a lot of stuff they're saying are flat-out lies.

This website is not for explaining anti-Mormon attacks. However, here's a website that is for just that: http://www.fairlds.org. Why look, here's a page responding to at least one Living Hope Ministries video. [EDIT: Whoops, sorry, wrong link, though it's linked to on that page.]

A sampling:
In discussing the Book of Mormon we have the second "optical illusion" in this section when the film zooms to a verse in the Book of Mormon (the first was panning an empty landscape while speaking of Jaredite cities): "Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots" (2 Nephi 12:7), suggesting that Book of Mormon culture includes vast numbers of horses and chariots.

What the editors do not tell the viewer is that the verse is a direct quotation of Isaiah 2:7. It may be in the Book of Mormon, but it refers to the Old World. Since the heading of the chapter clearly indicates that it comes from Isaiah, I cannot imagine how the editors could have made the mistake of assuming that this referred to the New World. If they were close enough to take the picture they used, they were close enough to see that this verse was a quotation from Isaiah. The only reasonable conclusion is that they intended to deceive. Ironically, then, the most damning passage about horses they could find in the Book of Mormon is from Isaiah.

The deception continues in the narration: "The Book of Mormon describes the use of horse-drawn chariots during massive battles involving tens of thousands of warriors." This might seem plausible to one who has never read the Book of Mormon and has seen only the Isaiah passage. The statement is absolutely incorrect. Nothing like it appears in the text of the Book of Mormon. Horses are never ridden. Horses are never described as pulling chariots (though we do see the phrase horses and chariots in the text). No battle scene includes either horses or chariots.24

One would think that the film's "Latter-day Saint experts" would have corrected such an error of fact. Unfortunately, the expert quoted makes the very same factual error. "So the stories of riding horses into battle," Wilson claims, "could not have occurred in the Americas." Stories of riding horses into battle do not occur in the Book of Mormon. Wilson's conclusion demonstrates that he has not read the Book of Mormon carefully or that he is simply willing to invent statements about it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:22:33 AM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2008, 04:23:23 AM »
Listen I think you could cut some of this tension with a knife. I am sure that you are all aware that every religion can be disputed. I am catholic and I question parts of my religion every day. That does not mean I don't have faith it just means that I will follow and have faith in what I decide to believe.

I don't understand the desire to question other peoples faiths and I don't understand why people who claim no faith like atheist/agnostic people find it necessary to to even join the questioning. If someone has faith then let them because it is generally a good thing.

All major religions have one like factor and that is the teaching of good morals. I'll tell you that if a group of people decide to follow and believe in something that I think is completely insane but the end result is a group of people who care about eachother then fine by me.

You won't get anywhere by questioning the beliefs of others. Its not a good habit to get into because all it does is open the doors for hate.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:25:12 AM by PlantationMonsta »
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Drakogy

• Level 1
  • For the wind and I are the same.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:18 AM »
What deems you ready for greater understanding and why would you be condemned for learning such secrets. It is mentioned in the Bible numerous times to seek GOD out.

Matthew 7:6-8
 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

The things the church will reveal to you when you are ready are things apart from the Bible. As we discovered even the church with the greatest intentions can become corrupt.

May I ask what is so wrong about the original Bible?
What lies beneath lust or love?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2008, 05:53:43 AM »
mtlhddoc2: 
I always get lost as soon as someone mentions religion and logic in the same sentence. Logic and religion really have nothing to do with each other, since using your full logical capacities, you cannot logically infer the existence of something noone has ever seen and there is no evidence of anyone ever seen. Belief, however, is another matter. Faith is something which defies logic. You have to have faith that what you believe actually exists. you simply cannot apply faith and logic to teh same argument.

I disagree entirely.  You say you have read the Bible, but you ignore Hebrews 11:1:  "Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen."   Faith is the evidence of things unseen, and faith requires a degree of knowledge, and often involves logic—consider, for example:  Your mother tells you later in the day she will make a blueberry pie.  Later in the day, you see her working on some dough, maybe for a crust.  An hour later, you notice that the oven is turned on, and something sweet—which smells like blueberry pie—is baking in it.  You have faith that there is a blueberry pie in the oven.  Have you seen a blueberry pie?  No.  You have not seen one at all.  But you have the unseen evidence of a blueberry pie, and having seen that evidence, you have faith that there is a blueberry pie that you will eventually see.  That is what faith is.  Faith is founded on evidence of the unseen, not on ignorance.  Do not confuse faith for "blind belief", as so many sadly do today—this is a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:12:41 AM by The Generous Knight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »
I don't understand the desire to question other peoples faiths and I don't understand why people who claim no faith like atheist/agnostic people find it necessary to to even join the questioning. If someone has faith then let them because it is generally a good thing.

I did not question anyone's faith here, so, please, do not interpret it that way. What I questioned was people claiming moral high ground in that their religion is perfect because their church is pure. We all know that no organized religion is pure. It is simply against human nature for that to be the case. Church doctrine is shaped by internal politics. All churches, not just one or the other. I doubt anyone needs examples. Even though i could give at least one on every single religion.

What I will question though, is your claim that faith, of any kind is "generally a good thing". As a "non-believer" I have found that, in most cases, that is not the case. The faith is never just faith, it is the belief that your way is better than my way. and to that end, we see threads like this one. We see abortion clinic murders. We see anti-gay websites. We see planes flown into buildings. We see the 700 Club calling all Muslims out as violent hate mongers. And we see a Mormon presidential candidate shunned by his own party based on his religion. We see the Spanish inquisition. We see splinter groups molesting children. All in the name of faith. But athiests? We are the worst of the bunch, we get it from EVERYONE, even though I have the same morals as most people do, and sometimes even consider myself to be more "moral" than many religious people in some instances. I am against abortion and think divorce should be tougher. Most peo0ple i know are Catholic, pro-abortion and pro-divorce... go figure. Even my father..  he is a devout Catholic. Yet, his wife (my mother) had an abortion while they were married, and yes it was his child and he knew about it, and 20 years later, he divorced her.

People love to quote scripture. But it seems one of the more important ones is left by the wayside. "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". The act of judgement from people of faith, is rarely, if ever, from the hope of saving someone else. It is, as human nature dictates, an act of superiority. Even the act of "saving" someone, by converting them, is frequently applied vainly. (See Pope Ratzenberg (sp?) converting the Mulsim man in public). It really comes down to the old "You are wrong and I am right" argument, which is pride. Religion has the unique ability to satisfy 2 of the 7 deadly sins. and often, we can add a third in wrath, since a good many people, of all religions, get inordinately angry and hateful towards those of other persuasions, or those who do not comply with their moral code (such as homosexuals and genetic engineers).

to these ends, I do not judge any of you based on your faith(s). You have every right to pursue your faith in the manner you see fit. But do not judge me, or others, who do not share those beliefs. Judge yourself, first, and last, and only. You will not have to answer to your God based on my faith, only your own. we, as human beings, should only sit in judgement of each other based on human law, and only when appointed to do so by our duly elected government. (IE: jury duty) And even then, our judgement should be tempered by the laws we have enacted to protect each other, from each other...

oh crud, I started rambling...  i better cut this off or I will wind up writing a book. Maybe two. Seriously, I can go for days. Rats, I am doing it again.... :)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2008, 06:07:14 AM »
Drakogy:

If you do not think the Bible has changed, then you have more faith in it than Eusebius, one of the fathers of the Church, who lived in the 3rd century.  Eusebius wrote (in his History of the Church) that it was almost impossible to find two copies of the Bible which correlated in his own day, as scribes and scholars were making so many amendations.

You'll find, however, answers to many of your objections about Latter-day Saint theology and history at www.fairlds.org, as Ookla the Pie has recommended.  I recommend you explore that site a bit—every objection you bring up here has already been addressed there.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2008, 06:10:10 AM »
mtlhddoc2:

Realize that Atheists, like all other religions (organized or unorganized) have been no angels, either:  Consider the Communist Party of China, the Khmer Rouge, etc.  Plenty of killing has been done in the name of godlessness, perhaps as much (or more) as in the name of any god.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:18:21 AM by The Generous Knight »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:52 AM »
Drakogy:

1 Corinthians 3: 2
I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5: 12
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

And the verse before the one you quoted:
Matthew 7: 6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

These verses demonstrate that some people are not yet ready for the "meat/pearl" doctrines and need a solid grounding in the first principles of the gospel first before moving on. If you give them pearls too soon, they can turn and rip you up.

Jesus himself taught in parables largely so that only the people who were ready to hear the gospel message in them would understand what he was teaching. "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear," he said.

What's "so wrong about the original Bible"? Who said there was anything "so wrong" about it? Mormons believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. The Bible is inspired by God, but it does not claim to be inerrant and is not inerrant. Some errors/conflicts were already pointed out in this thread, but you didn't respond to them.

Mormons do not believe the Book of Mormon is inerrant either, and it doesn't claim to be inerrant. But if there are mistakes, they are the mistakes of men—just as the mistakes in the Bible are the mistakes of men rather than God's mistakes.

Why is there a point in having more scripture than just the Bible? God loves all of his children in all ages and wants to direct them in all ages. Therefore, he has called prophets in modern times and not only in the past. If you rely only on the Bible, you cannot come to an agreement about what the Bible means—look at all the churches out there that believe in the Bible yet disagree with each other about many doctrines. The Bible therefore is not enough. You need prophets who God speaks to today in order to direct his children to respond to modern trials and tribulations, because there are issues we're facing today which are hardly mentioned in the Bible.

But you are of course right that you shouldn't just believe anyone who says they are a prophet. For that reason, God has given the Holy Ghost to individually confirm to each person, when they hear something claiming to be truth, whether it is true or not.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2008, 06:17:32 AM »
Faith is founded on evidence of the unseen, not on ignorance.  Do not confuse faith for "blind belief", as so many sadly do today—this is a mistake.

You read between the lines a bit too much there.

Faith, as evidence, defies logic, since faith is a feeling.

Your pie analogy does not hold water, because the "faith" in the pie baking is based on observed evidence.

Religious faith is based on an account supposedly written over 2000 years ago, and translated through 6 languages, mostly by hand, mostly by political appointees. You must have faith to believe the word you read are the original intent of the God you believe in. However, those with faith would surely believe that God would make sure his intent, more or less, is carried on through the years in its proper form.

Religion, if put into locical terminology, is a hypothesis. An unproven theory. You are welcome to it, and I applaud you for defending it without malice. But please, do not confuse the faith, with logic. A computer is logical and you could never get a logic model to prove the existence of a higher power. But you could get it to prove their is a pie in the oven.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2008, 06:22:14 AM »
mtlhddoc2:

Realize that Atheists, like all other religions (organized or unorganized) have been no angels, either:  Consider the Communist Party of China, the Khmer Rouge, etc.  Plenty of killing has been done in the name of godlessness, perhaps as much as in the name of any god.

I would never, and have never, stated that athiests were the perfect being. We are human too. And human beings, by nature are illogical, primal, and brutal creatures. Morality is something you either have, or you dont. It really cannot be taught, it must be learned, experienced, and applied. But it cannot be taught from one person to another. But you dont need religion to be a good person, or a bad person. And religion does not make someone good, or bad, automatically. People are as they are. Bad people exist everywhere, in every religion 9or lack thereof), every race, every gender.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Religion (Potentially sensitive)
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:23 AM »
Faith, as evidence, defies logic, since faith is a feeling.

Your pie analogy does not hold water, because the "faith" in the pie baking is based on observed evidence.

Religious faith is based on an account supposedly written over 2000 years ago, and translated through 6 languages, mostly by hand, mostly by political appointees. You must have faith to believe the word you read are the original intent of the God you believe in. However, those with faith would surely believe that God would make sure his intent, more or less, is carried on through the years in its proper form.

You're drawing up a straw man.

Faith requires evidence.  I have faith because I have seen the evidence which underlies it.  Skar can tell you the same.  Mok Apple Pie can tell you the same.  We have seen the evidence of "the pie" which is God, and that is why we have faith!

It is not because of some account supposedly written over 2000 years ago—I have my own personal relationship with God; I did not truly believe until I had already expressed faith, which was based solely on the good works I had seen (the fruit, so to speak).  You see the evidence, and you come to a conclusion.  This is what faith is about.

To claim that faith defies logic and is based on ignorance is to be ignorant about faith.

Oh, and mtlhddoc2:  You are familiar with DesCartes, right?  Have you ever read his Meditations?  DesCartes essentially invented the modern Scientific Method.  And he believed that, logically, one can not but believe in God, using the Scientific Method.  Of course, DesCartes was not perfect.  Neither am I.  Neither are you.  But it is a fallacy to think that religion and logic can not coincide.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:28:55 AM by The Generous Knight »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
Drakogy:

What deems you ready for greater understanding and why would you be condemned for learning such secrets. It is mentioned in the Bible numerous times to seek GOD out.

I had something posted here...I deleted it. Mok did a better job of explaining (not surprising in the least). One little thing, though:

The children of Israel. Moses went up on Mount Sinai. God gave him commandments and a law to give to Israel. When he came back down, they were naked and worshiping a golden calf. He broke the law, went back up the mountain and told God they weren't ready for it and to give him something else. Therefore, God gave Moses the Law of Moses to give to Israel, which he did. When Christ came to give them the Higher Law, the Law of Moses had been so muddled, Christ was nonexistent. They didn't believe him, and so they crucified him. (quick version of the story, anyway)

To add a bit more to what Mok said later in his post about God loving all his children. We can also infer from this that there is MORE scripture than just the Bible and the Book of Mormon. If we can't even accept the current word of God, how in the world are we going to accept more of the written word?....Plus, there's following modern-day prophets of God.

I also think you should check out fairlds.org....it's a good site. It would do a better job of answering your questions....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."