Author Topic: Magic Systems?  (Read 1490 times)

Armadius

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Bloptch.
    • View Profile
Magic Systems?
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
In my spare time, I do a lot of fanfiction writing and I juggle some random ideas that spring into my head. Anyway, I've been reading through some of the commentaries and annotations of Elantris, and it says quite frequently that one of the things Brandon prides himself on most are the unique magical systems used in his work. I'm also reasonably proud of my own magic systems; I tend to get extremely bored with either less in-depth or simply less creative magics, considering how omnipresent they are in fantasy. I've been wondering if one of my new ideas has been done before, or if it sounds like a good idea to any of you. If so, I'll probably write something using it. If not, well... I can't really blame you. I'm not actually too fond of it myself, but I felt like seeking commentary regardless.

Has anybody ever considered a system of magic based on emotion? This seems interesting to me for a few reasons. For starters, emotion is, almost certainly, the most driving factor in human existence; everything we do is guided by feelings and emotions. Because of this, I think something as central to fantasy plotlines as magic - which often winds up being one of the (if not the only) guiding force(s) in fantasy cultures - could be powerfully intertwined with something like emotion. That way, the driving force in individuals/characters (emotion) is linked strongly to the driving force behind a society or government (magic). The possibilities for how effectively and realistically a society could be developed with this are nearly endless.

The other thing I like about this is that it provides a lot of openings for unique characters.  I'm a fan of very character-centric fiction, and I like when there's a wide array of characters in a book. One of the things I enjoyed most about Mistborn is how the magic system allowed for a cast of characters each with unique skills; one of the pitfalls of many fantasy books is that they become centered too much on a single character who has extraordinary talents. While I don't object to this sort of writing, it's ghastly how overdone messiah-type characters can be. It's important to bear in mind that a book with only one main character is often profoundly unenjoyable.

Anyway, how this ties back into my idea... this more strongly links certain aspects of a person's character with their magical aptitude. Too often, magic winds up being an attribute that just floats on its own, with no rhyme or reason behind it. There is often no explanation for why a magical being has the particular talents he/she does. Granted, sometimes a character's personality does seem to correspond with their magical talents (Breeze in Mistborn being generally manipulative and preferring other to do his work for him, Ham actually being the polar opposite of what one would expect from his talents, etc.), but magic still seems to be a random factor at best. If magic were driven by emotion, this would no longer be a problem. Frequently morose people could perform certain feats better than others, but would suffer in areas of magic driven by a sense of contentment. This also relates to another thing I enjoyed about Mistborn: the way Allomancers "snapped". Certain traumatic events could very, very strongly influence a person's abilities with magic if it were tied to emotion.

Just an idea, for now. Let me know what you think of it.
"Beauty is a form of Genius - is higher, indeed, than Genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts of our world, like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark waters of that silver shell we call the moon. It cannot be questioned." - Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »
Well, in Ranma 1/2, Ranma's power comes from his arrogance, and Ryoga's power comes from his extreme depression.

Anyway, Karen says, magic systems based on just about anything could be interesting. The question is, how does it work? Does it have rules? Do the rules make any sense? When you talk about different characters having different powers, does that mean each character only gets to have one or two emotions? What's different from feeling an emotion and magicking an emotion? Does this magic have physical effects? Magical effects? What? Karen doesn't care about the answers to these questions, but if you are developing a magic system, you should.

I say, a lot of magic seems to be based on wanting something to happen really, really bad. That's kind of emotional, right? It comes off as lame and tired.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:39:59 PM »
I think the irrational magic system trope is less common than it is often accused. It's frequent in unprofessional writing, but much less common in the non-satirical published work I've read. The idea of rules and theme are pretty prevalent.

Personally, I'm realizing that I tend to treat magic power like super powers. This guy can dink with your emotions, this guy can control fire, this guy... well... you get the picture. I'm not sure how I should react to this. Maybe I should be writing medieval/renaissance-esque superhero fiction instead of fantasy.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:37:35 PM »
Yeah, I've read a book where the magic was ruled/activated/governed by emotion.  It was really good and I seem to remember it being a big name and well marketed.  I'm embarrassed now that I can't remember the title or author.

(gonna have to look into that...)
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch