Author Topic: Am I growing, or just bored  (Read 2805 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Am I growing, or just bored
« on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
So I haven't been around lately, and its totally my fault. I've been writing, working, chatting, and blogging, but not here. Im not sure why. I still love TWG, but I just haven't been getting a lot of return for my buck. Part of it is that I have less time to post during the day. And when I do post nobody seems to be around. I am working on a project, which Im not going to wait for Saint before I post it. It'll be up to Spiggan and the coders to figure out how to make it work, mostly. I hope it works, because I think it'll renew my posting habits.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Am I growing, or just bored
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 06:50:48 PM »
I admit people haven't been around as much. My new job doesn't really allow me to check the board very often. Plus there it seems like there is less discussion going on around here. I really think some of us need to come up with conversation starters for several of the threads. At the same time, some of us regulars need to be more talkative.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »
nods

Mostly I just got tired of all the in jokes, or bulky throw away threads (grumpy for instance) I would like a conversation about something, but that just seems counter-intuitive on a website about nothing. Right now it just feels like the 500th season of Seinfeld, you know the one where Spriggan barges through Fell's door to ask if he can borrow a cup of sugar right when Fell is finishing the last page of the book he hasn't hit save on once. And while stumbling around Spriggan spills a gallon of milk on Fells computer.

Yeah its like that.

But I don't know how to get motivated. And some of it is that there is almost too much to read when you stay away for a while. When I was at the NRC I could read or at least skim all the threads, but now, all I can do is pick a few I like and post. It a real dilemma.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:12:15 PM »
Speaking of dilemmas....I want to post your roundup article, but it needs modification. I emailed you. Did you get it?

And as for the 'growing' bit, I'm not sure it's that. I mean, you play around on Gaia.  ;D ;)
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
I did, but sadly I wrote the article at work and had no place to save it, so you have the only copy. to correct it I'd need you to send me a copy...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:49:32 AM »
With me it's more I'm just not interested in 90% of the discussions going on, not to say they're bad discussions but I only tend to post when I really have something to say.  One of the other problems is despite the popularity of RPG/Movie reviews on the main site books is what most of the discussions and reviews are now-a-days. 

We just don't get much review material anymore and non of us have/want to spend the money on RPG material just to review.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:02:50 AM »
Here's an open invitation for you to tell me (within reason) what you'd like me to bring to LTUE for you to review. I have a limited number of product points, and I rarely use them all, so I can grab an RPG manual here and a minis set there. I've already promised EUOL and Dave Wolverton Magic cards, so if there's a particular set anyone is interested in, let me know.

I know that won't revitalize RPGs (and I never paid attention to them anyway), but perhaps it'll give you a little kick.

For me, I still mostly lurk, but I don't post as much as I used to because I've got a lot going on in real life. In grad school, I always had new ideas I wanted to try out for size on people, but not so much anymore. All my new ideas are going into work ideas (therefore confidential) or just out the other ear because I don't have the energy to ponder them.

So I don't know about you, but I'm not growing. I'm getting tired. I mean, physically.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:08:05 AM »
Here's an open invitation for you to tell me (within reason) what you'd like me to bring to LTUE for you to review. I have a limited number of product points, and I rarely use them all, so I can grab an RPG manual here and a minis set there. I've already promised EUOL and Dave Wolverton Magic cards, so if there's a particular set anyone is interested in, let me know.

Very kind of you Stacer.  I'll talk to Fell today about what we need and then send you an PM if that works for you.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »
So the real question is? How do we get motivated. I mean its not like we have to get new books to do something constructive. TWG Adventures are an outlet, and I have a ton of stuff on my reviewing plate that I get about 1/2 way done with and then just go "Self its time to procrastinate."

I was thinking, maybe we should have a game or adventure workshop?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
hey Jeffe, do you have a webcam? Hey, does anyone else around here have webcam? I have webcam now. We should make TWG video conference sometime. Cool stuff!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:40 PM »
I should have a webcam very soon.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
I would like a conversation about something...

Well, I hope you realize that your wish has been granted. With all the...ahem...new threads that have popped up. Heh.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/