Author Topic: Question On Publishing  (Read 2842 times)

U-Boat

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Question On Publishing
« on: December 31, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »
Hey, I'm new here. Always wanted to buy Elantris, but I have yet to see it in bookshops. So can anyone tell me whether Elantris in particular has been published yet in Australia?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Question On Publishing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:19:46 AM »
Nope it hasn't yet, don't think the rights have been sold yet either (think Australia's are connected to england so you have to buy both).

You could buy it from the US's Amazon store then have them ship it internationally
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-2041295-8398537?ie=UTF8&nodeId=596190
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:24:58 AM »
Sprig's got the right of it.

Breaking into the British market is, oddly, rather hard for American authors sometimes.  The thing is, the Brits and you Australians have your own excellent fantasy writers.  (Garth Nix for one down where you live.)  So, they have less of a demand for foreign fantasy books.  That makes it easier to sell in a place like France or Spain, where a book has to be translated first.  Go figure.

It's not odd for an author to have four or five books out before the Brits will give them a chance.  And, unfortunately, Australia is tied in with the British market as far as rights are concerned. 

Your options, then, are to buy it through Amazon and get it shipped.  (Which, if you buy the paperback, won't be that expensive.)  Or waiting until it comes out over there. 

And, if you're feeling particularly kindly, you could write to a couple of the publishers who cover Australia and ask them to look into me as an author.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
That really sucks.
So it'd be several years before your books would reach shelves here?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »
If they ever do.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:11:15 AM »
May I suggest using Amazon.com? If you make special arrangements with a seller, they may be willing to ship the books overseas. Unless there's a problem with your accessing the site. Then you may have to bribe someone here to buy them and send them to you.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
Actually, I've got a fair number of Australian readers.  They get the books via 1) stores that import stock from America, then put it on the shelves.  2) Amazon 3) The Science Fiction book club. (Which bought my book in England)

Unfortunately, none of those options are particularly easy. 

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 08:51:12 AM »
Yeah.  :-[ Unfortunately,

A) The bookstores I use (Dymocks, Borders) don't stock Elantris.
B)I'm still stuck in the 20th century- Don't trust in net shopping.
C)Never heard of the SF book club.

:'(

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:13:22 AM »
U-Boat,

Yeah, I can understand the internet shopping hesitance.  Don't feel bad at all. 

I'd be happy to go buy and send you a copy if you wanted to paypal me some money for it--but that's the same internet shopping problem.  It's probably easier to go ask Borders if they'll order it in.  Borders has a companionship with Amazon.com.  For Borders stores over here, you can go in, pay for a book at the register, and they'll have it shipped to your house via Amazon.  (Though the package will say Borders.com on it.)  I don't know how that works internationally.

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:02 PM »
Good news! I found a local independant bookshop that stocks from America, so I'm going to purchase Mistborn and Elantris as soon as I have some time.  ;D
Alas, I have some fantasy which must be taken care of before I can read Elantris.  ;D