Author Topic: Vin's earring(possible spoilers)  (Read 4406 times)

Sorrowsong

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Vin's earring(possible spoilers)
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:19:40 AM »
Ok, admitedly i still haven't finished Mistborn(about halfway through it, did finish Elantris though :) ), but was curious if there was anything odd about Vin's earring.  I know feruchemists store attributes on metals they wear, but do these attributes stay on them from user to user?  If so, has the metal part of her earring been used to store memories?  Also, since this is my first post on these forums, hello.  :D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Vin's earring(possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
with your title, are you asking for spoilers? Or just acknowledging that they might come up?

When you answer that, I'll tell you as much as you want to know.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
I don't think any spoilers should be given on this one, especially not in a permanently-viewable medium such as this forum. It's something that can't be known unless [hide]you've read book 3,[/hide] which most people don't have the opportunity [hide]to read[/hide] at this time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:11:27 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sorrowsong

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »
The reason i put it in there was to acknowledge that there might be spoilers in the topic.  It seemed like an odd coincidence that she's more powerfull than Kesliar(sorry if that's mispelled don't have the book in front of me), and the way the first book explained how the ruler got so much power.  The one line of her parentage being the head obligator and the other a mad woman of unknown origin made an inherited piece of jewelry look rather suspicous.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »
SE, remeber to use the [hide][/hide] tags for your spoilers so people who have not posted in the thread won't see any.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 08:50:04 PM »
Ookla, you just gave a spoiler yourself while talking about how other people shouldn't give spoilers...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »
*spoiler*

Vin's earrings were given to her by John Scalzi as a "Im Sorry" for karate kicking her on the other thread.

*end spoiler*
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 10:34:46 PM »
Wow, EUOL must be furious that Scalzi has managed to write himself into one of his books.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 02:05:11 AM »
Ookla, you just gave a spoiler yourself while talking about how other people shouldn't give spoilers...
Okay, though I wouldn't personally call it a spoiler, I have now placed all information to the effect that [hide]Vin's earring is significant, read book 3 to find out how[/hide] within [ hide ] [/ hide] tags.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:19:44 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 06:58:42 AM »
Dang, Sorrowsong.  You're perceptive.  You aren't completely right--in fact, you're way off on some things--but the mere fact that you've noticed a couple of my very early plot threads is impressive.

I'm afraid that several people here are alpha readers of mine--meaning I let them see the books before they're out in print.  I'd prefer that specific spoilers on books two and three were not posted on the forum.  However, let me say that you've got a keen eye and that you'll want to watch book two very carefully. 

Feruchemists cannot pass attributes to other people.
There is a reason why Vin is more powerful than Kelsier.
The earring is important.
These three statements aren't necessarily all related to one another.

If you want more and you can convince someone on the forum to email with you, then go ahead.  However, further speculation should remain that--speculation.  Those of you who know, please refrain from holding it over people's heads or from giving out spoilers in a public forum. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »
and well, it doesn't seem like Sorrowsong is begging for future spoilers, so I'll leave it as is. Enough info has been given. Though it really doesn't all come together so you can figure it out with what's been said here.

Sorrowsong

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 07:43:04 PM »
You were correct, i'm not asking for future spoilers.  What's been discussed has satisfied my curiosity, or rather should i say made me want to read the remaining two books.  Hurry up and finish being published.  :P  Thanks EUOL and everyone else for answering my questions.  :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »
Brandon, I've been wondering how you would handle issues in this general area [hide]in the annotations on your website, since some of the important details weren't there in your earliest drafts of book 1[/hide].

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »
Not sure I get your meaning, Ookla.  Did I make a mistake in one of my annotations?  Or, are you asking for more info in the annotations?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
Ah—I just meant that [hide]plot points that are a late addition[/hide] to your books usually get a specific mention in the annotations, sometimes as hidden spoilers for someone who has read the whole book to appreciate the significance of—but in this case [hide]the significance of the subject of this thread won't be revealed until much later than the first book, so[/hide] such a spoiler-marked annotation wouldn't work as well.