As violent as the subject matter requires
5 (16.1%)
Something to rent, not buy
1 (3.2%)
I won't be seeing it because of Gibson's Anti-Semeticism
0 (0%)
A history lesson without the note-taking
5 (16.1%)
Something you refuse to watch because of it's R-rating.
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Apocalypto  (Read 1715 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Apocalypto
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »
I added a poll, to test it out. You can vote for as many options as you want.

I'm quite excited for this movie, after reading some reviews of it online. I especially admire the use of the ancient language, which I feel adds immeasurably to the immersion and feel of any historical movie. I'm the kind of guy who installs Latin voice packs onto Rome: Total War, just for how appropriate it sounds.

The thing that amuses me, actually, is how this is Mel Gibson - the man who starred in the hilariously inaccurate Braveheart (the battle of Stirling bridge - without the bridge! :D) doing a fiercely authentic recreation of a long-dead culture.

The reviews did mention it is incredibly violent, as well as an essay on the percieved decline of Western civilization and the Iraq War, which could make it humdrum, but reportedly it's a very fast moving flick.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Apocalypto
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:31 PM »
Actually the reason there was no bridge in the battle for Stirling bridge was the producer's fault I guess, he wouldn't let them do it due to the cost involved with having to deal with that many troops on a bridge they would only have one take to get since they were to destroy the bridge.  Said it was too risky to spend money on.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
I saw this film last Friday and came down with Strep Throat before I could write the review.  Perhaps today.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:47:43 PM »
It comes out here on the 5th of January. Gutted!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch