Author Topic: Expedition to Ravenloft  (Read 2548 times)

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Re: Expedition to Ravenloft
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
We, the group I play weekly DnD with, started playing this module over Thanksgiving and it has been a great deal of fun for one off's since then.  I think we're about 1-2 nights away from the final confrontation.  Part of what is really fun with the reinvisioning of the module, and the first one truth told, is that not everything in the castle is under Strahd's control and everything does have a reason for being where it is doing what it's doing.  There are critters that you can negotiate with, some you fight, traps and turns and twists.  Even the storyline is based on player's choices.  When you visit the gypsy in town the lay out of the cards determines which of several backstories is controlling the adventure.  The book also gives guidelines for having the module run in a short, medium or long fashion so you can make a multiple month campaign if you wanted to. 

The maps are, admittedly, huge and very twisty and turned about, but with a prepared DM it's not too bad. 

The matching up of gothic horror and DnD works very well in this case and I agree that it is well worth the effort and expense.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »
I've heard a lot of buzz about this module in the local rpg community over the past few months.

The buzz is kind of dying down a bit, but from what I hear, many players are very satisfied with this latest version.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
There is an official D&D podcast put out by a few WotC guys - their discussion about this was insightful and pretty interesting.

I would like to either run/play the module beofre I comment on whether or not it was worth the money.

=)
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...