Author Topic: Irene Gallo Discusses Mistborn Art *New MB paperback artwork*  (Read 21258 times)

Pterath

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Irene Gallo Discusses Mistborn Art *New MB paperback artwork*
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2006, 02:10:41 AM »
While, I am new to this forum I have to say that if the Artist read the book there must have been plenty of time between the time of the read and the workup of the artwork.  I mean, one could claim "artistic license" but the only thing that looks even vaguely how I visualise what Brandon so wonderfully describes within the pages behind that cover is the figure and shreds of cloth curling about her as she is evidentally pushing or pulling iron or steel. 

I am an artist and the first cover as everyone seems to agree has the feel of the mists and the mistcloak.  But the PB cover looks like it doesn't belong and doesn't portray what lies within except in the figure and that is only in the vaguest sense.  The mistcloak or what I am thinking is supposed to be looks more like a shredded dress.  While the one scene where Vin (as I am supposing this is to be her with the dark hair seeing Kelsier is blonde and not quite so feminine) went to face off with Elend's would be Mistborn assassins then I could see a shredded black gown.  But there were no grim reapers *aka Steel Inquisitors* (one could again suppose) in that scene.  But it is even the colors that bother me.  With a red sun seeing building aglow in golden hues seem a tad unlikely esp if this was that particular scene and then it should be night.  Crows while not directly depicted well I could let that go on the artistic license for the do lend a bit more depth to the image in general.  Plus, it looks a little cartoonish - not to it's favor.

The overall impact is so-so but to me it doesn't do the book the justice it deserves.  So I ask -- Why not crop the original art for the PB?

Kelly
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:48:58 AM by Pterath »

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2006, 02:31:29 AM »
I am mostly disturbed by the fact that a lot of Jon Foster's work is really really cool, and that this just isnt on par with his other stuff.  Was this just an off day?

I think that if the Grim Reaper was changed to an Inquistor, i could stomach it better...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2006, 06:43:37 AM »
I do agree that I like the side-view of Vin better than her going over the inquisitor, but I also like the color sketch (if you click on the two b/w and other color cover it shows a diffrent pic).  It has more than one person, but they're far enough off that you can't tell if they're helping or the ones she's running away from.  I don't know that I like the way the buildings are distorted, because it doesn't really fit with the story.  (The closest you come is when someone burns atium but even that is more of a multiple image, not twisted buildings.)  I defiantly agree with everyone in saying that she doesn't look good with that face, but I also think it wouldn't be smart to give her a beautiful face.  I also like it better without the lightening lines... she would be burning copper, so no one would be able to notice.  :P  *peace*

I was searching DeviantArt for Fanart (I was cerious what was out there) and found this  that I think better fits Vin as well as the feel of the book... the background's dark, yet she's bright, kind of like hope.  It also still has that flight feel.  I would love to see them go in this direction a bit more... (sorry, that's my thoughts...)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:40:46 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »
I guess I'll make myself known here. 

First off, as Sprig said, I really don't like to badmouth anyone.  The people at tore--particularly Irene Gallo--work hard to make every book the best it can be.  Irene has a tough job, juggling all of the different books and the different editors and the different authors. 

I will say three things, however.  First, I like the hardback cover a lot more than the paperback cover.  I wish we could lose the scythe from that grim reaper, and I wish Vin's face were a little more pretty. 

Second, I'd like to say that the Scalzi owned picture was brilliant.

Third, the cover for book two is quite good.  Not sure why we couldn't get one this good for the paperback.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:53 PM »
I was searching DeviantArt for Fanart (I was cerious what was out there) and found this  that I think better fits Vin as well as the feel of the book... the background's dark, yet she's bright, kind of like hope.  It also still has that flight feel.  I would love to see them go in this direction a bit more... (sorry, that's my thoughts...)
I'll try to make that link work.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32891111/?qo=1&q=brandon+sanderson&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5 Like this. Something is funny with the code, and it's including more than I wanted in the link text, but hey it works, and that's all that matters.

That is a pretty cool picture. What I think is even cooler about it is that someone likes EUOL's book enough to commission an artist to do a drawing of it.

As to the 2nd hardbook cover, it is much better than the PB of the 1st. I don't know why they are going for such a different style with the PB cover.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »
Let me just say I love the Book 2 cover.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »
I most deffinatly like the second book cover... (once I realized that the lacing was in her back but rather was to her shirt... *blush*)  I really like the big new sword....
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2006, 10:10:40 PM »
Wow, I do like the 2nd book cover, even if it is a little gruesome. But then, I'm easily grossed out.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2006, 12:00:52 AM »
I thought the mistcloak started at the shoulders, not at the waist? :s
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »
Wow, the MBII cover is... freaky. In a good way. Just rather disturbing at first. I like Vin being the center of focus like that, and her face works better on this one for me than on the paperback.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
I love the Book 2 cover.  How exciting.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

dreamking47

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2006, 03:56:27 PM »
I'd sure get some weird looks reading MB2 on the subway with that cover...

And I think it'll be quite a shock for people who buy the paperback MB1 and then see that...

...but I like it, nonetheless.

MattD
"It had blood in it.  That makes it a good metaphor." -- Tonk Fah, in EUOL's Warbreaker

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »
Wow, Brandon. You've got Deviantart fanart. Now all you need to do is provide a place for your fanbase to post fanfic and you've got it made.

*Cringes at the thought of future Zane MarySues*
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 05:57:15 PM by Oldie Saint Nikita »

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
Now all you need to do is provide a place for your fanbase to post fanfic and you've got it made.

Yes, please!!!  I'm almost half way done!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2006, 12:38:33 AM »
[rumbly voice]IT BEGINS! [/rumbly voice]
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch