Author Topic: review: Happy Feet  (Read 8159 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Happy Feet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:09:09 PM »
I really liked this movie and think it deserves to be #1 2 weeks in a row, probably one of the better kids movies I've seen in a long time.

I did find the fishing thing with the UN kind of funny since, you know, there already is a no-fishing law around Antarctica that nations comply with.  Heck you can't even take a boat near it without the coast guard getting on your case as happened to Steve Irwin a few years ago.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »
I took my 4-year-old to see Happy Feet, and she was bored out of her mind.  Granted, she doesn't have a huge attention span, but she was ready to leave after forty-five minutes.

The fishing issue didn't bother me at all, but I was a little annoyed by the weird anti-religion thing at the end.  The biggest problem, though, was that it was just too dang serious and depressing--not at all like the commercials make it appear.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:18:14 PM »
I really liked the music references. But yeah, I don't know that the movie has the ability to maintain an attention span. My boys liked it, but not enough to quote from it as we were leaving the theater--they went back to quoting Avatar:the Last Airbender instead.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »
I thought the movie was cute, but the ending was a bit trite. I agree that it resolved just way too quick and easily. The music was really the highlight for me.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
I really disliked this movie. The first thing that bugged me was all the sexual innuendos. Dreamworks does that alot in their movies--like Shrek and Shrek 2. I was willing to overlook it if the plot was good--adults would get the jokes, kids wouldn't. (But I certainly wouldn't want my child to quote things like 'I just need your body' or 'Let's talk about eggs, baby' and other stupid things the songs referenced. So the music had no enjoyment for me at all--it just made me cringe.)

I agree with Nessa that the animation was nice. But also that nice animation does not a good movie make. My 4 year-old nephew and 2-year-old neice were very fidgety and then fell asleep--the movie did not hold their attention. Not a single one of the adults felt it was worth their time--everyone had something to complain about. So it seems that by trying to accomplish too much they failed to appeal to adults or children.

They demonized humans with no retribution. This happens at times in animal fantasies--but it seemed heavy-handed and extreme in this case. And, like HOM said, it was depressing. Not lite and happy at all, like the commercials lead you to believe. And the message at the end is crammed down your throats. After there being so little to eat until then, it just leaves a bad aftertaste. I'm all for saving the environment--but it feels like some radicals with a serious agenda wrote this script.

Yep. Definitely not one I'll purchase, or bother to see again. And I know it's not making it's way into my sister-in-law's DVD collection--she hated this movie with a passion, and the kids could care less.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 12:04:06 AM »
Wow, it was the exact opposite in the theater I saw it in, people were enjoying it.  And I think everyone is reading too much into the movie, I didn't think they treated humans unfairly or negatively at all, nor did I find it anti-religious or pro-gay like I've heard from some people.  It was a little more serious then the advertisements said but I thought that made it a better movie, defiantly better then the Incredibles in my mind though not as good as the Shreks, Cars or Monster Inc.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:25:50 PM »
I have to say that anyone who thinks Cars was better than The Incredibles has something wrong with them.

;D

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »
Ditto. My thoughts precisely. No way was Cars better than Incredibles in story, characters, or even animation I think.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
I have yet to see Cars, but I have often gone on record to say that Incredibles was one of my least favorite Pixar movies. Toy Story and Monsters Inc both had better stories and better characters.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »
I agree with Fell.  Even though I agree that Incredibles was better than Cars, they're both at the bottom of the Pixar totem pole.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:27 PM »
fa. no taste on the Wells family either. WE all know Bugs Life is the worst PIxar movie, followed by Cars. Incredibles is one of my favorites

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:11:05 PM »
If they made a movie with identical art, story, and characterization as Incredibles but about something other than superheroes, you wouldn't like it nearly as much. The storytelling is not as strong.

As for the bottom of the Pixar totem pole, I vote for Finding Nemo. It's the most visually beautiful, but nowhere near as layered or well-told as the others.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »
uhm... if it had the same characterization it wouldn't be about superheroes.

So it had a straightforward plot. Cars didn't? I mean, really, give me a break. I think they did a good job on most all the elements. It was funny, it handled supers very well. Cars, on the other hand was obviously better because it was "layered," meaning, it had two different themes that didn't mesh at all and competed for screen time and failed satisfactorily resolve either.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 12:00:20 AM »
Wow. Six posts. Not bad. :P