Author Topic: Call for Articles: Give us your love  (Read 155824 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Call for Articles: Give us your love
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2006, 12:47:43 PM »
inferring that I claim a special body of knowledge unavailable seemed pretty much like an attempt to undermine any authority or authenticity I could claim in my post. to me, using a straw man like that indicates at least disrespect, if not contention.

anyway, I still maintain the reasons I have as valid. I dont' think the front page is the forum for news items like that except in a very exceptional case. As so few of our people are currently influenced by Gemmel, I don't find this to be an exceptional case. I believe that the sort of people who would read an obit on our front page and actually take note of it would be the same sort of people who would find the same info in the forum, where a more complete discussion can be done.

Thus, I feel the forum is a more appropriate place for such a notice. It will be, imo, at least as effective in notifying people of a possible new interest, and won't alter the normal pattern of our front page.

It comes down to opinion, and it is my opinion that obits shouldn't be posted on the front page.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2006, 01:07:06 PM »
inferring that I claim a special body of knowledge unavailable seemed pretty much like an attempt to undermine any authority or authenticity I could claim in my post. to me, using a straw man like that indicates at least disrespect, if not contention.

My apologies, I meant no disrespect.  To me it sounded like you had some idea what our readership's interests were beyond what we both had access too (the forums).  The fact that we get thousands of unique visitors to the front page and have, maybe, twenty people in the world who visit the forums implies to me that there may be a significant difference in the interests of the two groups.

anyway, I still maintain the reasons I have as valid. I dont' think the front page is the forum for news items like that except in a very exceptional case. As so few of our people are currently influenced by Gemmel, I don't find this to be an exceptional case. I believe that the sort of people who would read an obit on our front page and actually take note of it would be the same sort of people who would find the same info in the forum, where a more complete discussion can be done.

I do find Gemmell to be an exceptional case.

The fact that so few of our peope are currently influenced by Gemmell is a reason, in my book, to say something about him.  They might like him.

I think that there are plenty of people who check the front page occasionally who never enter the forums.  There are lots of sites I visit like that and I know people personally who visit our site like that.  And maybe if the news item linked to the forum, someone would jump in and make a comment who might not otherwise have done so.

Thus, I feel the forum is a more appropriate place for such a notice. It will be, imo, at least as effective in notifying people of a possible new interest, and won't alter the normal pattern of our front page.

For the reasons above I don't think the forum is as effective a place of notifying people of a possible new interest.

And how would it alter the normal pattern of our front page?  We're so short on content and time that it doesn't really follow a pattern at all.  Maybe we could make up some of the content shortfall if we started posting the occasional news item like this?  I seriously doubt we'd lose any readership if we did.  Maybe we'd gain some.

It comes down to opinion, and it is my opinion that obits shouldn't be posted on the front page.

It does come down to opinion and it is my opinion that it should be posted on the front page.

Tiebreaker?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 01:09:06 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »
IMO, Gemmel doesn't deserve a front page obituary notice.

The forum thread is sufficient.

If someone would like to write a review of one of his books, that would be front page worthy.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »
I agree with SE and 42, I was going to post something last night but instead wanted to wait and see with the head editors' views on this was.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2006, 04:08:01 PM »
I think Skar brought up some good points yet I have to throw my lot in with the others because if we start posting obits on the front page then that might lead to other news items. After that, it would just get tough to have enough room for the articles to stand out and we'd be more of a news site than a discussion site, imo.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »
You know if Scar wanted to write an article about him that would be a good idea for an aricle.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2006, 10:54:10 AM »
will there be nerdery today? or tomorrow?

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »
I don't know about a nerdery but there will be an article on Gemmell today.  Personal essay type ala geek girl only by me.

Edit:  Ok, it's up and ready to be blurbed, in the Books section.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:39:21 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
I just submitted another book review--a Middle Grade fantasy that's very similar to Harry Potter. I'm on a role!  ;)

It's the same style as the old book reviews and needs html. Use it whenever you like.

There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »
ok, gemmel today, TW(i)G tomorrow unless 42 tells me something else very soon.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »
will there be nerdery today? or tomorrow?

I'm writing it now.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »
ok, nerdery today, gemmel tomorrow, TW(i)G... next week sometime

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
Since it's not going today, could someone please look it over with a critical eye please?  I haven't written anything but reviews and chapters in my memoir for quite some time.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »
Yeah, I did it again. forgot to post yesterday. Both Nerdery *and* Gemmel went up today to make up for it.

Assuming I get a geek girl (come on Ms Fish, I *know* you can do it!) We have next week almost full already.

In other news, I'm toying with the idea of a "coming soon" blurb stickied on the page. I'm not sure I like the idea, but it keeps coming to mind. What do you all think?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »
I think that the personal essay on Gemmel was a really good compromise on the obit issue--we get more content, and we get it in context. This can be our policy for now regarding news items: we probably won't post them unless someone writes an accompanying article.

Also: good essay, Skar.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net