Author Topic: Yes indeed, I am a freak.  (Read 1819 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Yes indeed, I am a freak.
« on: April 09, 2004, 06:39:32 AM »
Ah, the tortured life of a writer!  I just had a GREAT idea for a world setting and magic system.  It came in a single flash of creativity, but I'm only halfway done with the book I'm working on right now!  It's a good book, and I don't want to rush it.  Yet, at the same time, I've got the ever-standing itch to start something new.

Good thing I'm taking the summer off from school to write.  The thing is, I'm not even supposed to be working on my CURRENT project.  My editor thinks I'm revising WAY OF KINGS.  

Must...start...new...novel....  <twitch>
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Yes indeed, I am a freak.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 06:54:28 AM »
Must be genetic, why do you think I never finish anything....Besides the fact I'm lazy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 07:04:51 AM »
See, you're a genius like me.  In fact, you're MORE of a genius--because your compulsions are so strong that you actually stop doing what you're working on, rather than finishing it.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 07:53:14 AM »
I guess that's how it works. I've got two in my head bouncing about. One inspired by a "what if" moment while watching Return of the King (ask my wife, I actually managed to get her into the THEATER to see one of the trilogy and I spent half the film scribbling notes with a pen REFILL, i didn't even have a complete pen). The other inspired just this week while listening to lectures on Alex the Great (curse you Entropy for doign this to me). There are some BRILLIANT ideas coming from events in his life and the age he introduced.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 10:41:04 AM »
Number of ideas for stories I've had recently:

About 5-8, I can't remember exactly. About 4 good ones.

Number of stories (all short) I've finished recently (So as not to count stuff I wrote in Primary school and similar: 2, working on one now.

Number of novels started: 2

Number of novel chapters written: About 5

Number of things I'm working on now: 6. One Novel, three Short Stories (all in the same world, so it doesn't really count) 1 novel (for fun) one I don't know what, I've written a page and I'll see where it goes.

It's not just you.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 10:47:39 AM »
well, it's not uncommon for creative types to have ideas all the time. It's when those ideas become overriding in their presence and demand attention rather than being content with being recorded and returned to at a more convenient time. I've had lots of ideas, but like EUOL, these two are trying to demand that I start writing them.

But then, JP appears to have the same problem as EUOL, Sprig, and I. We should form a support group.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 02:36:04 PM »
See, you're a genius like me.  In fact, you're MORE of a genius--because your compulsions are so strong that you actually stop doing what you're working on, rather than finishing it.

/me laughs.
Or it's just a lack of self-discipline.

well, it's not uncommon for creative types to have ideas all the time. It's when those ideas become overriding in their presence and demand attention rather than being content with being recorded and returned to at a more convenient time. I've had lots of ideas, but like EUOL, these two are trying to demand that I start writing them.

But look at it as a blessing too. To have lots of new ideas continually spilling out, makes life as a writer easier than if you had no ideas at all.

My advice for the support group is to write down the ideas that you have and put them somewhere safe, and make yourself move on. You can go back to them later, no matter what the story ideas are whispering to you.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »
I have the more inventive type ideas strike me more oft than the story idea.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo