Author Topic: Let's Name Something Else!  (Read 4974 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Let's Name Something Else!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 12:56:38 PM »
My problem with Aethers of Lore is that it sounds vaguely non-fiction (well, it sounds like the name of a non-fiction book in a fiction world).  If you're okay with that, then great.  (I don't think it would seem non-fiction if the spelling of Lore changed.

Climb the Sky sounds like something Covenant would publish.

Also, I really like the series/sub-series titles, but here's a more general question: as an author, do you want to tie yourself down to that many books?  Right now I'm working on a series that's only three books, and it occasionally drives me crazy that I can't work on something else.  Maybe that's just me though...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:56:51 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »
That title is waaay too long EUOL. It'd intimidate me.

Aethers of lore is kinda boring as well. It sounds like a D&D book.

I agree with 42 on the climb the sky thing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »
just to insert my opinion. I don't like "Lore." at all. not as a world name. It's just too loaded. I don't mind the double meaning in the title, but for the planet? Doesn't work for me. It sounds like you're talking about the traditions about aether. Instead of taking about specific Aethers.

Lor or Loor works better for me.

I don't have any problems with the titling pattern, but I have to concur with above comments, that "Climb the Sky" sounds a bit nancy or childish.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 05:25:29 AM »
Hum.  I think I'll just go with 'Lor.'  Sounds right, and I didn't Google any major fantasy series' that use the word.  Can anyone think of a conflict?

As for CLIMB THE SKY--well, we'll see.  I'm growing more and more attached to it.  The story is, however, about flying magic, so I don't think that--in context--it will be as cheesy as one might originally assume without a cover or jacket blurb.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 03:01:38 AM »
I like Lor. Unambiguous. And it looks like TOR!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!