Author Topic: Ladies, please help poor EUOL  (Read 5710 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies, please help poor EUOL
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 01:23:38 PM »
They make you feel pretty. I'm not sure how your protagonist is going to feel about it, but despite occasional discomforts (that you get used to anyway) wearing a dress is fun.

I've also heard it said that they have a strange effect on guys. I know my husband always seems more complimentary when I'm wearing a skirt.

And, umm, skirts twirl. Which is sometimes fun to do when no one is watching.

/me blushes.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 01:33:58 PM »
Depending on the skirt. That's why you have to get the full skirts, because straight skirts don't twirl. And it's nothing to blush about--I do it all the time!  ;D

Another thing, if you're going to have skirts as full as a wedding dress, is that they're going to rustle a LOT. They're going to be downright noisy compared with pants. Especially when you twirl.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 01:37:27 PM »
I've also heard it said that they have a strange effect on guys. I know my husband always seems more complimentary when I'm wearing a skirt.

You know, I've been told that--to get more dates, wear skirts more often. They do make me feel more feminine, and you move in a different way when wearing a skirt. Your movement is more restricted, and you have to sit more gracefully (no crossing legs like a man, or sitting with your legs apart, etc.). That said, I think it's also kind of annoying how much more complimentary guys get when you wear a skirt, as if you don't look as good wearing pants--do guys somehow like that girls' movement is restricted, that they somehow diminish themselves physically?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:38:25 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 01:44:28 PM »
I think it has to do with the facts that people our age had moms who almost always wore skirts or dresses, and we had to treat them nice....
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 01:58:32 PM »
I think you're reading far too much into it, Stacer. Nothing offensive.

I can think of some cruder reasons why dresses/skirts are seen as more attractive, but I think the best reason is that they're different. Guys don't wear them, so you're definitely set apart from guys. It also definitely has to do with the forbidden

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 02:01:07 PM »
Or with the fact that it's simply more formal.  I think men look better in suits, and women look better in dresses.

In addition, while they undoubtedly feel restrictive, I don't think men see them that way.  I think dress and I think 'flowy, free, unrestrictive.'  Men are the ones who, in our culture, are supposed to be reserved and stiff.  Have you ever tried to run in a three-piece dress suit or a tux?  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 02:18:09 PM »
like wearing a straight jacket

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2004, 02:18:40 PM »
really, tailored mens clothes hug the body like a glove.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 02:26:19 PM »
 I think dress and I think 'flowy, free, unrestrictive.'  

I suppose that's true, depending on how many yards of fabric you've got in the dress. Plus, all that loose fabric tends to tangle.

Have you ever tried to run in a three-piece dress suit or a tux?  

Actually, no. And I can't imagine it would be that great. But try running in a hoop skirt with 15 layers and I doubt you'd get as far as you could in a tux. But point taken.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2004, 02:36:46 PM »
youd think so but sudden movements in a properly fitted tux are a no-no. An all out run wouldn't be all that fun either but yeah we'd win....

cause we're better than girls.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 02:47:03 PM by ElJeffe »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 03:20:45 PM »
I think the other girls have covered most of it.  The only thing I can think is that if you never had worn a dress before you'd notice how breezy it is.  I don't know what kind of underwear your society enforces on its women, but if she's just wearing a dress after being used to pants she's going to feel a little exposed.

Unless the evil wizard has invented pantyhose already.

Oh- and I almost never read the writing group section because when it started I said I didn't want to be part of the writing group,  as I had no time.  So I just figured that this was all writing group stuff.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 03:22:56 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »
Dresses being "flowy, free, unrestrictive" depends a lot on the material.  If it's a stretchy material, it'll be a lot more comfortable to move around in than say, taffeta, or other stiffer materials. Also, ease of movement depends on the style and length of the dress. My wedding dress is fairly comfortable, but it touches the ground.  It is VERY DIFFICULT to walk up or down stairs and not step on the hem, potentially tripping me up, even when holding the hem up a bit.

Full skirts allow more range of motion than a tight skirt, but then you have to contend with the yards of fabric swirling about you, tripping you up, especially if they are heavy fabrics.  Light fabrics (like those used in ballroom dance gowns) are fairly easy to run/dance/walk in freely.

Your character will have to be careful if there are multiple layers at the bottom of the dress--if the dress is a little too long, then she could accidently step on a layer and rip it--not fun.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 07:48:21 PM »
Dresses make me feel like an elegant person. As if I'm flowing as freely as a river, and as tough as a steel crate. I especially likes skirts more because they show more of my leg.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 07:58:28 PM »
really? because that's not anything remotely like what they do for your appearance, Gemm.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2004, 02:23:01 PM »
My wedding dress is fairly comfortable, but it touches the ground.  It is VERY DIFFICULT to walk up or down stairs and not step on the hem, potentially tripping me up, even when holding the hem up a bit.  

Not being used to long long flowy dresses, I constantly tripped over my wedding dress.  I was giddy enough that I didn't really care, but I felt quite clumsy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 02:24:51 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan