Author Topic: the house on tranquillo street  (Read 1591 times)

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
the house on tranquillo street
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:55:33 AM »
this is a short story I'm starting, tell me what you think,
BTW. it's just a lead-in, lik on the back of a book.

The house on Tranquillo street.

There is a house on Tranquillo Street, which I pass every day with my dog. This house makes me feel particularly uneasy and Magnus always barks and whines as we pass it. The house is not strange in any way, in fact it’s eerily normal; it’s small and white with an American flag out front, a two car garage, a manicured dark green lawn, and white picket fence. It is the "American dream", so to speak and what’s more is it’s on a street named "tranquil", a very unnerving coincidence!  But perhaps the reason this house remains under suspicion is due to the fact that no one is ever home, the lights are never on, and I have not once seen any one walk in or out of it’s picturesque fencing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 01:56:30 AM by arkalith »
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: the house on tranquillo street
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:59:13 AM »
here's a little more, at least enoough that it can be critiqued...

The house on Tranquillo street.

There is a house on Tranquillo Street, which I pass every day with my dog. This house makes me feel particularly uneasy and Magnus always barks and whines as we pass it. The house is not strange in any way, in fact it’s eerily normal; it’s small and white with an American flag out front, a two car garage, a manicured dark green lawn, and white picket fence. It is the "American dream", so to speak and what’s more is it’s on a street named "tranquil", a very unnerving coincidence!  But perhaps the reason this house remains under suspicion is due to the fact that no one is ever home, the lights are never on, and I have not once seen any one walk in or out of it’s picturesque fencing.

One day on my way past the house I noticed the gate was ajar, this is where I had to turn back, for Magnus refused to go any further. When I got home I told Aja about the incident and she told me I was over thinking it, that it was just a plain house.  Although this was probably the truth I still felt the need to know for sure. So I walked back to the house and through the gate. As I approached the door it, in quite a cliched manner, swung open of it’s own accord. I looked back expecting to see a white picket fence, but instead I saw a tall and twisted black gate that looked like something out of a Tim Burton movie. I ran for the entrance but the gate snapped shut, I attempted to climb them but they grew higher and higher. I slipped and fell, The door was suddenly underneath me in place of the ground, and something about it seemed alive and expectant, like the gapping maw of some nefarious beast.

The interior of the house was confusingly bright and looked to be a giant checkerboard motif. I couldn’t manage to determine up from down, it seemed that gravity had left the building. I frantically searched for an exit but found none.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 09:30:46 AM »
I can't swallow that something being on "Tranquil" street is un-nerving.

also, I can't visualize much except the description of tha thouse. Even that's tough: we don't know how big it is. What's the yard look like? If no one's ever there, make it REALLY weird by SHOWING us that the house and yard are in perfect condition: The manicured lawn, the sparkling windows, the flawless paint, a lack of oil stains on the driveway, etc.

THat bit about the gravity, I don't get. I can't visualize how there's no gravity, you can't tell up from down, but you can still search.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »
Maybe it's me, but when ever I see "tranquillo "I think "Niquil".

edit:  Oh and I think the "gravity" thing he speaks of is vertigo not actual loss of ones weight.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 09:40:59 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 10:23:21 AM »
if he's suffering from extreme vertigo, he can't move either.