Author Topic: NaNo Woes.  (Read 1579 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
NaNo Woes.
« on: November 02, 2004, 05:54:51 AM »
This thread if for complaining about anything annoying you in NaNoWriMo.

To begain, I would like to complain about characters killing my plot. The problem of character based fiction, is they end up having minds of their own, and doing EXACTLY what you don't want them to do, in a way that completely stuffs up your plot.

Anyway, I think I'll be using a whip to tame them.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: NaNo Woes.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
I think you should. I always find these "characters ruining my book" complaints funny. Nothing they do comes from anywhere but you. Throw somethign down that makes them do what you want and still retains their personality.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:46:37 AM »
I just tried out the name generator Fell posted just to whip up an instant working name for a new character, but, um...they use a lot of vowels in there. I mean three 'o's lots. At least if you don't refine your name creation request, and if I wanted to spend that kind of time on the project I'd just make up my own name. Probably there's something I'm doing wrong.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 12:01:20 PM »
I doubt you're doing anything wrong. The tool is probably just only useful in October when you are outlining your story, or in December, when you are revising it. Changing those XYZBD names to something that sounds a little more cool.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy