Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2004  (Read 26207 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2004
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2004, 04:02:43 PM »
Ah, the joys of the internal editor.  I really need to learn how to turn mine off.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2004, 04:05:42 PM »
do it on Dec 1, Prom. On Dec 1 you can cut the entire thing and you'll have still accomplished the goal.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2004, 04:07:38 PM »
No mass editing of your own stuff.  That's one of the points of nanowrimo.  Push forward, don't destroy what you have and keep starting over or you really and truly will never finish, and that breeds frustration.  Sometimes the phrase "I'll fix that later" can be a lifesaver.  Not to mention editing your own stuff, which is different from proofreading your own stufff, is really only effective if you write it, put it in a drawer for about six weeks to two months and then look at it.  Self editing while in the writing process is self defeating.  This is why professionals have editors to chop up their work for them later.  ;)

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2004, 04:09:13 PM »
Hmm.  I think it depends on your process.  Everybody's different.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2004, 05:15:56 PM »
I got about 857 on my lunch break.  I'll see what I can get after school tonight.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2004, 05:29:04 PM »
2300 while at work. HOpefully I can double that at home. (and I'll cut down on the hourly updates).

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2004, 06:29:50 PM »
I made my mark for today on Chapter 2. Might get a little more in at home, especially if my World of Warcraft client download didn't make it. (Was the weirdest thing...BitTorrent was downloading slower than it was uploading this morning.)
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »
I registered for NaNoWriMo mostly because one of my friends who doesn't frequent TWG, is also doing NaNo this year and I wanted to be able to keep up with her.

It's actually pretty cool for me to have yet another spot to post my word count.

I've found for myself, that I have to be offline, with online time as my reward for finishing (as well as playing Prince of Persia) in order to meet my goal, otherwise it just doesn't happen.

A good breakfast is also important, and waiting to snack on candy until after I'm done writing. Candy makes me very jittery lately.

I'm really greatful for the chance to write in the mornings.

The thing I'm worried about right now is that I don't have much of this novel outlined and I'm afraid my momentum will die out. I know I ought to outline after I finish my daily goal, but. . . .

So, what do the rest of you find helps you?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »
Music. If you find the right music for writing, it help immensely. I just rediscovered a fairly weird band called Mike and the Mechanics, and it worked out for me today.

I dont exactly know why, beyond my paranoia, but I have to be completely alone. Like either the only one awake, or the only one in the house. The latter is much more common for me.

When you start, dont stop. Unless you get stuck, dont stop, because it is like moving a boulder as opposed to keeping it moving. I find it a lot harder when I stop and go, stop and go.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2004, 08:08:19 PM »
I just rediscovered a fairly weird band called Mike and the Mechanics, and it worked out for me today.

sorry, I'm just staggered by that. when I sayw the "re" part I was less staggered. but woah. You think they're weird? You know that the Mike is Mike Rutherford of Genesis? You know the band that was good when Peter Gabriel was running the show but then rolled over for Phil Collins to rape and leave stranded in a ditch?

on a more serious note, you really need to listen to some old Genesis. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tale, Firth of Fifth, and Selling England by the Pound are good starts. Old Peter Gabriel too. Start with Shaking the Tree to get a feel for him. That's pretty much where Mike learned everything.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2004, 08:37:55 PM »
Like I mentioned before, my dad is a huge music buff. In his changer you could find about 800 cds. I couldnt help but know who Genesis is. They are another pretty good band I would say, although I havent really listened to them too much for myself. When I said that they were weird, I meant more that it was weird for me to listen to.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2004, 09:56:52 PM »
I'm in for moral support. Meaning, I'll be posting my count on my 30-page paper. 9,000 word goal. Perhaps I'll just post my total word count on papers for the month, because I have a paper a week in one class and two papers due this month in another. So I'll be writing a lot, just not one piece. At any rate, good job so far, guys!

I'm still working, so I don't have a final wordcount for the day, but so far it's in the neighborhood of 700 words. It's going to be much lower than you guys because this is nonfiction and I'm researching as I go. But, there you go.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »
Ug.  Must stop writing to go vote....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2004, 10:33:27 PM »
You only have about a half hour left.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Phaedrus

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2004, 10:37:42 PM »
Howdy folks!

I know, you must be asking "Who is this guy?"

Well, I'm new here.  Which I think you've discovered.

Friend of EUOL in RL.  I'm also an aspiring writer and have taken to following him around (metaphorically) worshipping (again, metaphorically) the ground his actually published feet trod on.

Someone else might know me....Close relation of EOUL, but I don't know what he calls himself on here.  What's your MO Jordo?  ;D

Anyway, just wanted to get into the nanowrimo bandwagon.  Didn't post my numbers last night, but I got in 1556.

Today, after just over an hour and a half, I'm up to 2689.  Not bad for a newb, if I do say so myself.  (Hey, let me live in my own little world, for the time being at least!).

That's all.  

Steve