Author Topic: NaNo Excerpts  (Read 1604 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
NaNo Excerpts
« on: November 02, 2004, 06:48:15 AM »
Here's a thread if you'd like to share any of your favourite short passages. I'll start with my favourite from each of the two days I've written so far.

--------------------------------------

"Hi." She commented, casually. Evidently, she wasn't breaking into pieces inside like I was.

"Uhh...Hey." I managed.

"I'm Felicity."

"Uh..." I struggled to remember my own name. "Alex. Yeah, that's it. Alex."

"You're looking for something, aren't you, Alex?"

"Excuse me?"

"You're looking for a lot of things. Some things you know you're looking for, some things you think you're looking for, and some things you're not sure. Isn't that right?"

Now, I don't know what came over me then. I knew, for the most part, exactly what she was talking about. What I didn't know was how she knew this stuff about me. This is stuff I told no-one. Ever. Yet, somehow, I found myself speaking about it out loud.

"I suppose I'm looking for what to do with my life."

"A thing you know."

"I'm definitely looking for a girlfriend." I smiled as I spoke.

"Something you think you know."

"And...I'm looking for something else. Something I don't know what it is. Something on the edge of perception. Something Human."

------------------------------------

Now, I'm no expert on Killer Robot design in nonsensical worlds that you find yourself in after talking to the weird (but hot) girl on the bus, but when a robot looks kind of like a man, but with blood red eyes, a perpetual scowling grin, and large scythes instead of hands, you begin to suspect it isn't actually a harvesterbot.

As it was, I remembered that revolver. How could I forget, given it was probably quite illegal. Anyway, I was quick on the draw, and let loose two shots into it. They pinged off, with quite a loud pinging sound that would have been quite pleasant, if it hadn't come from my bullets bouncing off a Killer Robots armour. Like windchimes.

Ok, so whoever created the Killer robot was smart enough to make it bulletproof. So I stood there, trying to thick quickly, as it moved ever so slowly towards me. Luckily, it had only the scythes, so it couldn't shoot me with some kinda of funky rocket launcher.  Then it made another sounds, one that would have also been quite pleasing if it wasn't the sound of a Killer robot activating a machine gun from behind its armour plating.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:52:18 AM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: NaNo Excerpts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:11:32 PM »
JP wanted me to post something. However, my favorite passage isn't anywhere near the spot  I'm at. It comes much later. I feels somewhat EUOLish to me:

"What do you think of my new hat?" He had a ridiculously shaped hat, lumpy, stiff in some places and floppy in others.
Adessa raised her fingers to her mouth to stifle a laugh. "It's a little… undignified." She chose her words carefully, trying not to hurt his feelings.
"You mean foolish," he sighed. Adessa failed to hold back a small giggle. "I was hoping for jaunty."

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:39:40 PM »
That quote seems more like Fell's writing than EUOL to me---but probably not either. That's likely because it's yours and not theirs.  8)
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 01:06:53 PM »
you're right. That's more Fell than EUOL. But I still like it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 02:48:17 PM »
"Shouldn't you be resting?" Aldessa teased him.

Vij scowled. "If I have to spend another day in the bed I'll go madder than Raza."

"Not possible," Raza muttered. "The monkeys would get you."