Author Topic: Column:  EUOLogy #15  (Read 3172 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Column:  EUOLogy #15
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »
I agree with Fish, in that I don't believe talent, ability, or skill ever justifies cruelty to other people.

Course, I also take a very idealistic view that people who come into this world with handicaps and dissablities are just a valued as those with talents and gifts.

A confident person just isn't concerned about how much better or worse the next person is. And when you think about, most the time we just don't have a good reason to think that way. Unless you give in to your fears and insecuries.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 05:22:29 PM »
Hmm.  I suspect that those who have disabilities or hardships in their lives have their own talents and gifts that, while they may be different from those of "normal" people (whatever that means), are just as necessary and valuable, if not more so.  I mean, if we are sent into the world equipped with everything we need to deal with what we face here, then it's hard to say that people with problems don't have anything to offer.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 05:44:05 PM »
Well, I don't think anyone doesn't have problems. Hence, I find arrogance to just be a sign of ingratitude and selfishness.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 05:58:33 PM »
Well, I don't think anyone doesn't have problems. Hence, I find arrogance to just be a sign of ingratitude and selfishness.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Assuming a person doesnt believe in a god, then who are they to be grateful to?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »
Well, yeah, everyone has problems.  I meant...actually, I don't know what I meant, but I'm sure I meant something.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 07:32:14 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 12:27:49 PM »
yeah, I really chafe at the arrogance word

Probably because I don't like my personal failings pointed out :)

But also because of the "overbearing" part.

And also, because I dont' see it as all that different from any other occupation. Everytime you send your resume somewhere you're saying "I'm better than your other options. You should take me."

It's significantly harder to do that with writing than many other jobs, because you invest so much of yourself into it, but it's not different in any fundamental way, only in degree.

However, I am arrogent. I watch TV and it constantly crosses my mind how I could, without trying, write better scripts or commercials or even theme music than what I"m seeing, and much of that because it only takes the rudimentary composition talent and literacy of a babboon to improve upon what I'm seeing. That is arrogence, I'll admit, and I am possessed of it.

I don't think it's a pre-req though.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 07:55:59 PM »
I think you hit on my reasons, SE.  First off, realize that I'm using hyperbole to make my point.  However, I really think authors need to understand some things that make writing--or other careers in the arts--different from your standard job.  

It is a matter of degree.  However, it's a severe matter of degree.  Ask yourself this regarding other positions:  Can someone else do the job?  My roommate Earl is very valuable to his company.  He writes code, and makes their products work.  However, can someone else do his job?  Yes.  There are probably lots of people who can do the job as well as he does.  That doesn't make him less valuable, but it does make a big difference to the application process.

Writing is different.  I sincerely believe that nobody else can write these books.  I offer something that NOBODY in the world besides myself can offer.  I think this is part of an essential trait an author must have to be successful commercially.

There are around 300 million people in the US.  I believe I write better fantasy books than about a half dozen of them.  That's a pretty big 'difference of degree.'

I talk about the value of arrogance because I know what it's like to be repeatedly faced by statistics regarding publication, as well as rejection letters.  To get a regular job, confidence is necessary.  To succeed in this field, I think your confidence needs to be as disproportionately large as your chances of failure when compared to a different job.  

This means arrogance.  I use the word flippantly, kind of like Oscar Wilde used 'lying' in his famous treaties.  However, I think there's an element of truth to it.  If you look at the statistical chances of your getting published, it takes reckless, even foolish, levels of confidence to keep going.  This is how I define arrogance--confidence beyond what is logical, right, or even normal.  

Plus, I just like to argue.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 04:15:37 AM »

There are around 300 million people in the US.  I believe I write better fantasy books than about a half dozen of them.  

If you look at the statistical chances of your getting published, it takes reckless, even foolish, levels of confidence to keep going.  This is how I define arrogance--confidence beyond what is logical, right, or even normal.  

Plus, I just like to argue.

Umm, I hope you write better fantasy books than a few more that just a mere half dozen of the people in the US.   Otherwise, I'm not investing 25 dollars in your book.  ;D

But I still don't think you need arrogance to face those kinds of statistical odds.  I think a special blend of insanity and pure masochism should do the trick just as well.  At least, that's what I'm banking on.  Get back to me in 30 years and maybe I'll concede the point.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:16:36 AM by MsFish »

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2004, 01:24:10 PM »

Umm, I hope you write better fantasy books than a few more that just a mere half dozen of the people in the US.   Otherwise, I'm not investing 25 dollars in your book.  ;D 

My thoughts exactly.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing