Author Topic: Writers' Round Table  (Read 8743 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Writers' Round Table
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 09:29:06 AM »
my current method of dealing with it is just to move on. Finish the draft, get comments, then come back and revise/rewrite it once I know what other people think. It may be harder to do when you have to get things done faster than I currently have the luxury to do.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »
PS--response to your story sent off earlier, SE.  I'll try to get to your KINGS comments in a bit.  I tend to compartmentalize my books, working on one at a time, and so it's sometimes hard for me to derail myself from one project to go do some short editing on another.  However, I would like to ask you some questions while the story is fresh in your mind.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2004, 09:48:24 AM »
sounds good. Remember I'm on IM most nights for at least a few hours too, if you want something more conversational, you could interrupt your writing for an hour or so and pop on. (course, my presence on IM is always subject to children not needing my attention)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2004, 04:00:56 PM »
Up until recently poor chapters made me quit for a while. Mostly because without an outline I wasn't sure where else to go, and the discouragement was too much. I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time.

Things are really slow at work today. It's too bad I already finished Saint's latest chapter.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 04:25:13 PM »
i can send you more when I get home :) (not of that story, but "stuff")

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2004, 05:13:46 PM »
That would be great.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2004, 05:28:15 PM »
i(not of that story, but "stuff")

Aha!

Its Harry Potter Slash fic!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2004, 07:19:43 PM »
The problem I've been having lately is a script for a comic book.  When do I stop explaining, and when do I end the stupid thing?  Too much text..... @.@

Do you guys just write until the section ends itself?  Or do you need plan an ending for it to work?
Sharm @~`~

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2004, 07:46:21 PM »
depends. sometimes I find a convenient "pausing" point fo sufficient drama to end it there. sometimes I've already planned that.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2004, 06:27:21 PM »
Okay, I've got a ton of countries to name, and no idea of where to start. I've started stealing and relettering names, but what does one do for countries?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
Speaking of names, whats a good one for a small towned insane aslyum?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2004, 07:03:30 PM »
Let's see, couple things to address here.

Sharm:  Good question.  How do I know when to end?  I spent a while talking this over with my students.  The main reason to end a scene is to get them to read on to the next section.  Therefore, you generally want to end in one of three ways.  1) At a moment when something interesting is revealed.  2) At a moment of high tension, with something very interesting about to happen.  3) At a moment where your writing is particularly good, and the reader feels a particular empathy for the characters.

Option One:  This works well for mystery style plots.  Generally, you want to build a scene/chapter so that it has its own rising action and climax.  The climax, therefore, when you're ending with this option is the discovery of something vital and interesting.  The reader will continue on to find out what the ramifications of this discovery or revelation are.

Option Two:  This is a classic 'cliffhanger' ending.  I am wary of this one for writers.  Don't do the 'Batman' ending.  Remember, each scene should have its own rising action, and should feel complete.  In comic books, you can probably get away with a bit more of a cheesy cliffhanger.  However, if you do cliffhanger in this way, I think it should be continued in the very next section.  I do this occasionally to signify 'Significant change in chapter tone coming up.'  IE, I'll write a chapter that is building up to a character's decision to fight.  Then, I'll break, and in the next chapter get into the battle itself.

Option Three:  Don't underestimate this one.  Good writing is always interesting, and it will always make people want to keep going.  Even if you don't have a revelation or a cliffhanger, you can pull the reader along simply by writing your characters well, and ending with them being interesting.  The reader will think 'I can't stop now.  It's so good!  I can read one more chapter.'

Hope that helps.  

MoD:  I bought an Atlas, picked a country, and began designing place names whose sounds fit that country.  I didn't go for direct rip-offs.  I just tried to use similar-sounding names that seemed like they would fit with the ones in that country.  I think it gave my place names a sense of realism.

Gemm:  You could always use the name of the asylum in DRACULA.  (Can't remember what it is off the top of my head....)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2004, 07:09:54 PM »
Well, yes. Those are very valid exit points. As for the asylum name, I could really use a name that I can, you know use. =P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2004, 07:17:29 PM »
Arkham is the one in Gotham.

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2004, 02:20:41 PM »
Thanks EUOL, it helps.  Now I just need to figure out if when I'm rambling, or else this whole first chapter will be explination.

MOD, you know I love ya, hon, but I hate the replacement letter trick for nameing things.  Sometimes you can get away with it, if the origional word is unusuall, but most of the time it comes off as forced.  Everyone knows what name your really using.
Sharm @~`~