Author Topic: Ruined World  (Read 4240 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Ruined World
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »
*Fish breathes a sigh of relief

Glad y'all agree with me on that one.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 08:51:01 PM »
Ok, this is really cool. I like having friends in high places. I'll do a final edit, SE, I'll pass it over tonight and get your final comments. Then, Fish, if you can give me an address to send it to and any details about how to send it (like what return envelope and postage to use and format and stuff, or if I just follow the stuff on the website guidelines) I'll send it over. You shotgun me, I'll be eternally grateful and possibly published.

edit: and if I want to try for the online one, I can do that after I get accepted or rejected by TLE and not step on toes, right?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:54:37 PM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 12:34:34 AM »
Hehe.  High places.  I guess that works.

Yeah, if you get a rejection from us you're free to do as you wish.  

Just follow the website guidelines, and address the envelope to me.  The address is

4198 JFSB
Provo, UT 84602

You might want to stick a note or something on the manuscript that you're a friend of mine or that I know what's going on or something, in case someone else checks the mail, cause you never know.  

Oh, and my full name is Janci Patterson, in case you didn't know.  It's on the website though, I think.  

Just let me know when you're sending and I'll keep an eye out for it.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 02:58:55 AM »
Not to burst everyone's bubble, but JP, if it seriously is a really good story, TLE is the next-to-last class of place you want to send it (the last being Hadrosaur Tales). You want to hit the A-list markets first, like F&SF, Analog, Asimov's, and SCIFiction. Then the Bs like Aboriginal and Interzone. TLE is a C. A pretty-good-paying C, but its circulation is practically nonexistent, and that's no good.

If you know there is NO WAY IN HECK that the A or B publishers will take your manuscript, then send it to TLE first and hope they like it enough so it gets published and you can mention it in your cover letters for your NEXT story that you send to the As.

Now, of course, if you send it to the As, one at a time, it will be months and months, maybe a couple years, before you work all the way down to TLE. Gratification would be quite delayed. If indeed TLE did want it and the others did not. But if you sent it to TLE now, you'd hear back pretty darn quick due to it being shotgunned.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 06:03:16 AM »
There's interesting thinking. Really, I'm trying to break into the market, and I think getting anything published anywhere will make getting published elsewhere more likely. As in, work my way up.

I really don't know about what level would buy it. I think it is good enough that someone would, because I think I would. But I'd need someone elses opinion on who to try.

If I published just one thing in a small market, I know I'd be satisfied that I was a professional writer, technically, and I'd be keen to work my way up. Then again, getting my first story published at a youngish age by a big name magazine would be a good thing.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2005, 06:15:58 AM »
Well JP you're lucky enough to have SE proofing your story, he could easly tell you if you have a shot at a bigger publication or not.  'Course, if he says you might, it dosen't mean you will, but it's something you should take advantage of.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2005, 09:24:47 AM »
I'll try to look at it today. It came in the email. MY recommendation on the last read is start with TLE, if they don't take it, then you can improve it and try other places. But it may be very different for this version. I'll read it and let you know.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2005, 04:17:31 AM »
Mind taking a look at my story and giving me an idea what level publication to submit to?  All I know is that it didn't win WotF...

(Hmm.  Forum doesn't like ANSI diaereses)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 04:19:07 AM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 02:15:15 AM »
Jade,

TLE is one of very few publications that comment on the stories we read. If you're looking for a completely unbiased read, send it to TLE. You can always go from there. And if you let us know you were a student of EUOL and a former BYU student, we'll get it read quickly so we'll monopolize it for as little time as possible.

JP,

If you're worried about your story being too good for TLE, then feel free to send back any publication contracts with raspberries, a sample of dragon fertilizer, or whatever.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 02:32:33 AM »
Soon enough I'll have two things published in a college book of poetry/stories. Both poems though.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »
Poems about chocolate?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 03:08:02 PM »
Ummm, that'll be, #3. Yeah?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 03:47:07 PM »
Chip.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 04:02:51 PM »
I'll go ahead and send it in when I'm back in the States, then.  I don't think it's worth the postage right now.

I expect that it's good enough for TLE, from the Fantasy I've read that we've put in there.  But I could always be wrong.  If nothing else, the reviews would be much appreciated.  Particularly if any of them are on par with EUOL's.

Speaking of, I never sent you the final version, EUOL.  Would you like it?  I took some (but not all) of your advice.  And I completely rewrote the ending.  And I like to think the story is much better now.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."