Author Topic: Ruined World  (Read 4005 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Ruined World
« on: March 01, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »
Some of you may have read my (long) short story "Ruined World" aka "Systemless." This post concerns you. I'm also interested in hearing from the published authors on the forum.

I've pretty much finished with this story. I reread it today, and just thought, with a quick edit for spelling and grammer, it's good. Really good. If I ran a sci fi mag and saw it, I'd buy it. So I'm going to sell it.

I did a quick search and found a magazine that looks like a pretty good bet, based in Canada. I read their description and I think they'd like my story. I plan to buy the ebook of one issue pretty soon to check it out.

Now, my questions are:

1) Those who have read the story, expecially the latest version, am I right in the quality of it?

2) Is anyone who has or hasn't read the final version willing to keep some final feedback on it?

3) Is this magazine the best way to go, or what? 42 mentioned TLE, and said I should try there. Am I right in thinking that a webbased magazine is worse than a print one, but that any paying money is pretty good? (Given I'm trying to break into the market as a first time author - the magazine said they appreciate submissions from first timers).

4) Any other advice or suggestions or whatever?

Basically, I'm ready to go for it. I've sat around for long enough, time to actually become a professional writer.

Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Ruined World
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 09:14:30 AM »
just courious, what e-zine you looking at?  Care to post a link?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:18:27 AM »
A quick google Search pulled up "Challanging Destiny". I read the guidelines of about five I found, and this one looks like my story would fit in well, based on the guidelines.

http://home.golden.net/~csp/cd/index.htm

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:22:37 AM »
I haven't read it for a long time, so I'm not sure I've read the latest. email me at eehlerse AT bestroutes DOT com and I'll read it at work.

However, TLE is an EXCELLENT route to go. They pay, they work a lot with new/unknown writers, and even if they reject it, they will give you feedback.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »
I looked at TLE, they said four months which was pretty good, so I'm sort of thinking going for the one with a four week waiting time might be a better start, but I'll see. TLE also said something about solicited submissions, and I have no idea what that is.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »
I would think he would want to send it out to many companies at one.

Also that site only buys the electronic rights for 6 months, so I don't see why he couldn't send it out to TLE which buys print rights as well and get it in 2 magazines.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 09:28:38 AM »
SE, that address was exorcised by my mailing daemon - that is, it didn't work.

Sending it to both is a good idea. Can you do that? And get paid twice?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 09:30:04 AM »
they both buy different rights.  TLE only buys North American serial rights (ie print) so technicaly you could get it published in Austraila and Brittian too if you realy try hard.  They each have different markets that don't overlap so they don't care.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »
Print magazines are better than e-zines, as far as getting your name out there. Also, don't do simultaneous submissions unless the magazine says it accepts them.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:32:15 AM »
http://www.yudkin.com/flfaq.htm#II

that link explains rights.

Though you might want to check with the publication on what their meaning of Electronic rights are since it seams some places can really rip you off.  Though theirs is only for 6 months, so even if it sucks it's not for ever.
Electronic rights" is the big battleground in the magazine and newspaper world today. As publications begin to make past and current issues available online, some are illicitly republishing in electronic form contributions for which they only acquired one-time or first serial rights. Other publications are demanding writers sign "contracts from hell" in which they give up electronic rights for no additional compensation. All the major writers organizations are active on this front. For more information, contact the Authors Guild, the American Society of Journalists and Authors or the National Writers Union.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 09:47:36 AM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 09:33:05 AM »
Print magazines are better than e-zines, as far as getting your name out there. Also, don't do simultaneous submissions unless the magazine says it accepts them.

how would the magizine know if he sent it to another one somewhere else?  They don't check with each other.  I think its ok for him to send it out to other magaiznes that don't have overlapping markets.  What is TLE looseing if someone in Australia or an electronic only e-zine also publishes it?  nothing, becasue each has a very small readership.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 09:48:54 AM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 10:16:41 AM »
The biggest reason is because they don't want to fight over someone with rights. So I'd ask an editor if they'll accept it.

Not telling them is dishonest, and if they ever found out, they would never do business with you again.  You don't want to shut any doors on yourself as a writer. Like Sprig points out, the rightes don't conflict, so I'd just ask the staff and see if they think that's ok. I don't see why they'd hve a real problem.

edit: oh, and the email address didn't work because I was combining addresses from different employers. Try eehlers AT bestroutes DOT com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 10:27:50 AM »
I don't see it as dishonest unless the rights are the same.  If a publisher only wants North Amrecian rights then it's none of their business if it also gets publshed outside that magazines area.

No simultaneous submissions will be considered. No electronic submissions will be considered. All simultaneous submissions and submissions not containing a SASE will be recycled without reply.

Thats TLE's view, which is fine for NA rights, but its silly, if not arrogant,  to think a publication that's only market is Provo would not consider something if they submitted something outside NA or electronic.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 10:36:18 AM »
TLE sells outside of Provo.  -- in fact, if I remember right, they sell more outside of Provo than in. The BYU bookstore sales are not very good, and when we placed them in other bookstores in town they sold very poorly.

how is it NOT dishonest to say "I haven't submitted this to anyone else" when you indeed have submitted it elsewhere or to even imply that by silence? And why would you risk burning your bridges like that? If they truly won't be bothered by it, then why is it any problem to let them know? That's just what is called professional behavior. It's also called being "honest in your dealings."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 10:45:31 AM »
I wouldn't say "I haven't submitted this to anyone else" if I had period, becasue it's also none of their busniess if it got rejected somewhere else.  If it had been published with in thier area (in this case NA) I would tell them that, if it was published outside their area I wouldn't becasue it doesn't matter then.  It's has nothing to do with honesty, its not relavent to the  circumstance.

And yes, TLE shippes to outside provo/orem, but there is no store that sells it outside that region and no marketing outside it either.  So TLE's market is Provo/Orem, not nationwide.