Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2005  (Read 12783 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Nanowrimo 2005
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 09:24:33 PM »
Dun dun dun dun! I have decided that I will join in on the fun this year, seeing as how I don't have the excuse of grad school breathing down my neck anymore.

Plus, I've been wanting to actually write a book in my spare time, seeing as how my social life isn't interfering either (i.e., I should take advantage of the spare time while I have it). I have all of two scenes of a YA that isn't Black Bull. Haven't decided if it's going to be fantasy or not--I'm going to try to make it fantasy, but it might end up being a realistic problem novel, that might be too autobiographical to publish. But I'm going to try to make it a contemporary retelling of a fairy tale, set in rural western Illinois.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »
Sounds groovy. I've got at least one of the other writers at work in on it as well, so this should be a fun year.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 11:49:50 AM »
So I want to try this again. But I've no idea what to do. Where's a good place to get ideas?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

badlydrawnjeff

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »
I'm doing it, 4th time in 5 years.  Never completed either, which means I'm a total sucker.

I found that the Nano boards are a good place, and if you're into LiveJournal culture, the community there is very helpful, too.

I find the best way to get motivation, assuming you have the time to do it, is to get help from people in the same way, preferably from places you have established links to already.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »
I'm doing NaNo as well, I'm all excited like.

I've been doing some pre-NaNo work on another story, to try to get a decent amount of writing in per day.  So far I've failed each day to make the necessary average for NaNo, but I haven't actually tried to make it either..

Hopefully I'll be a winner. ^_^

- N

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 12:20:14 AM »
I've already signed up for it on the site. Since last year I decided I could not because I was working an insane job, and I am currently unemployed (well, technically) still I think I need to this year.
I'm going to <sigh> try to write a romance novel. I have an outline written, but haven't really started any writing, so I can go at it fresh on Nov. 1st and not cheat.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 12:03:30 PM »
Is anyone participating willing to do a blog 2-3 (or more) times a week during November? I have some ideas for a format, but since I'm not in, I can't do it. I think it'd be a nice TWG feature, and something you could put in your sig over at nano.org and get people to visit us :D

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 01:52:05 PM »
Blog as in update what you wrote for that day  or as in, "Today I was stuck on about word 500 for two hours and I nearly killed off half my characters in frustration." ?

I just ask b/c I'm on Livejournal and I"ll probably be blogging anyway so it will likely be no additional effort to do something like this.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 02:07:09 PM »
I was thinking of doing a blog, because nothing says "I'm a crazy writing loon" like writing 2500 words a day and then writing more about how much you're writing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 02:33:45 PM »
blogging as in something autobiographical. I'd have a little screenshot of the excel sheet to keep track of the progress, so readers know where we are. I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to post their frough draft nano as they wrote it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 05:14:19 PM »
naturally

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 09:44:44 PM »
I'm in.  I failed last year due to a massive depressive episode, but I've already had one of those this fall, so hopefully I'll be in the clear. ;D  It's worth a try at least.  

I am, however, going to cheat.  I'm going to work on a book I've already started.  I'm just not up for a new project right now.  Gotta get my current book written.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »
La la la, we didn't hear it, la la la we have dice!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2005, 02:39:05 PM »
What's going on everyone?  It starts tomorrow!  Are we doing a progress-tracking thing this year?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2005, 02:45:10 PM »
Yeah, well, sometime yesterday I had a brilliant idea. SO I may try to do this thingy.

I will be tracking using the handy dandy excel sheet I have though. I'm not going to do a calendar like I Have in years past.