Author Topic: Nanowrimo 2005  (Read 12771 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Nanowrimo 2005
« on: October 05, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
I hereby declare this to be our Nano thread. Who's doing it this year? What are you writing about? I'm in, but I'm not yet sure what my novel is going to be.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Nanowrimo 2005
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:27:50 PM »
I'm thinking I should try this again.

I think I need to get a really good outline together first. I work well with outlines. I figure I need at least 20 chapters. So in theory I could write a chapter a day averaging 2500 words a day. I would still have 10 days to make-up days were I didn't make the 2500 word count or just missed the day entirely.

Last year I did farely well at writing around 2000 words a day until I just got stuck.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »
While I don't want to write a book, that would be a scary outcome, I have been debating joining the Nanowrimo spirit by doing a flash project in a month (ie a game or something).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 03:52:06 PM »
I'm considering joining this year.  I'm toying around with a Modern Fantasy novel (importing stuff from my Fantasy world into something more modern, and seeing if I can give it a slight industrial kick).

I will definitely need to do some more prewriting if I want to make the month, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 03:52:29 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »
I want to do this this year. I haven't decided whether I am going to cheat and work on a story that I really want to finish, or do another idea that I have had. Assuming I don't cheat, mine would be a modern day science fiction story.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:18:22 PM »
As long as you write 50,000 words during November, we won't tell anyone that it was part of a pre-existing manuscript.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »
So we need to write 50,000 words before the end of Novermber to do this?  I'm in, although I don't think I am a very good author.  I am also most likely to not finish, but, hey, what do I have to loose?  Somebody explain all the legistics to me?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
 Somebody explain all the legistics to me?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

They explain all the rules, and if you register you can keep track of word count on the site and compare how others are doing. I did it once. I am never doing it again. But don't let that discourage you.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »
I have done it twice, failed once due to extenuating circumstances. I encourage everyone to participate, as it's a really great experience.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
I am a winner of the past two years. Unfortunately, I won't be this year, unless something drastic happens.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:54:42 PM »
Then I have a chance to catch up! Ha ha!

Oh wait, I mean, "You can do it!"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 08:22:10 PM »
you can catch up .... riiiiiiight. First of all you'd have to finish one! On a year I'm not doing it!

I guess you could do that this year. But since you didn't even TRY last year and I did it in 2/3 the time....

er.. I mean... "You can too!"

support. That's what we're all about here.

My big thing actually, is that I haven't thought at all about my next project. I have to finish at least one re-write of last years and finish the first draft from the year previous before I start a new one. Maybe I'll plan on the re-write of last year's for NaNo 2005. I don't know if i really want to start from scratch, though, or just make major modifications and additions to the previous version.

How do y'all handle re-writes?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 03:19:28 AM »
Seeing as I've yet to finish a novel, I can't speak on that large of a scale . . .

But I hate rewriting.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 11:55:21 PM »
I haven't finished a novel either, but I don't foresee rewrites being a problem. I have so much material written that I am not going to use, that if I wanted to change my plot all I would have to do is substitute one for the other, and make minor adjustments.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:39:12 PM »
This looks cool.  I think I'll do it, too.  I've got a YA fantasy that's been kicking around in my head for a while.  The only thing I'll have trouble with is editing my third and fourth books while I'm writing a seventh.  Anyone tried that before?  Editing one while writing another?  Maybe I'll talk to EUOL about it . . . he might know.  Thanks for the heads up on this, though.