Author Topic: Everybody's Current Projects  (Read 15848 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody's Current Projects
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 07:19:36 AM »
Right now I have a SciFantasy Adventure story in the works. It's plotted out for the most part, and I'm the middle of refining my characters.

I recently set aside a super-anti-hero story, and I have 2 same-universe SciFi series, as well as a weird Modern-era Fantasy idea popping around (a little bit of a "His Dark Materials" feel too it).

Creativity + ADD = Unwritten stories. lol.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »
I have three basic stories flying around in my head right now.

Hero's Birth: The first one I am tentatively calling Hero's Birth. Its turned into a kind of fantasy vampire-hunting story. A teenager, Talian, finds a mysterious black stone in the forest. (shut up, its not Eragon.) Basically he discovers that this stone is sought after by four major factions; the dhampir (vampires), the sorai, (an ancient race of my own devising; silvery skin, disinheirited rulers of an ancient empire), the Sal Rada (demon-worshipping magic users) and the Darkwatch (think demonhunters.) The major plot twist is that the stone actually contained the soul of the golem lord Ghammorghal, a demon of unimaginable power. He was the one who destroyed the sorai empire and at the end of this book he gets re-incarnated in a new body. For now this story is on hold.

Crystalheart: This is the one I'm currently working on. No title as of yet, crystalheart is just a placeholder. In this story the magic is almost passive; warriors have crystals implanted in their hearts, giving supernatural strength and quickness. No fireballs.
The world is filled with ancient, ruined cities and relics of a lost civilization. The current inhabitants of the world have learned rudimentary uses of their most basic energy sources; the crystals. Basically Aermyst, the main character, gets his crystal stolen and his best friend killed by a mysterious, silver-haired man. This man gets supernatural power far beyond that of even a crystalheart by implanting stolen crystals in his own heart. Aermyst is trying to get his crystal back through various ways but fails every time.
Eventually he discovers the ancient inhabitants of the ruined cities were defeated by an alien race that the silver-haired man is trying to fight off.

Red Dawn: This is little more than a few paragraphs on my laptop. It's going to be a play on the "hero comes of age" cliche; two young men are brought up in the ways of magic, going on missions, etc. There is a type of council between humans, elves ( a very feral and predatory variety) and any other races I decide inhabit the world. One of the young men becomes an anti-hero, one a hero. They are destined to face each other, etc.
The main promise I see for this one is getting inside their heads, watching the way someone can become a hero, and then become twisted until eventually he fights against all he once stood for. Basically watching him fall to the "dark side." Obviously if the character growth is going to be meaningful and deep, if the audience actually cares for the villian, I need more than just this as the basic premise of the books. I need to find things that will force the characters to grow, but as I said I've done basically nothing for this story so far.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »
My NaNoWriMo story:

It's a character study with vampires and other assorted shape-shifters. The Monkey's Paw and unintended consequences make up the main theme.

"Now I’m pissed, I’ve been given a back-handed wish, told that if I do not consummate my marriage to a female vampire we will both die, we have our cab wreaked and attacked, and now someone has thrown me into a pit for reasons I cannot even begin to guess. This day is just getting better and better."

Excerpt at:  http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/414056

I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
The story I've been working on is getting set aside for a few weeks now, and I'll be focusing on a story for my final project in my Creative Writing class.
     For this final project I'm writing the prologue or the first chapter to a fantasy story that I will write later. The setting is going to have a sort of colonial era Central America feel to it. You know, cool pirates, crazy natives, Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp (okay, not really those two. . . I was just got thinking about pirates. . . ). The culture is going to be kind of a mix between British and Israeli. Their lineage is very important to them, as their powers are hereditary. The magic system is something I'm proud of. Its based around science and academics, in a way.
    Anyhow, the plot is going to be centered around a big war that's going on, and will have lots of politics in it. However, as with any good fantasy, there will be more supernatural events fueling the war.
   Now, the problem I will be facing is going to be the temptation to work on this story beyond  just what I need for my final project in creative writing. I'm about 30k words into it, and don't want to get distracted with a different story. I haven't finished a novel in seven years (and I was 15 when I wrote that one. . . i'm embarrassed to go back and read it). In that time, I've started at least a dozen, and this is the farthest I've gotten on any since. So, uh, I've gotta stay focused on this one!

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »
I've finally broken 100k on my main idea, which is around the half way mark for what I have plotted, and looking back on it, I'm pleased with the work. There are definitely a few patches that will need to be rewritten, but the main focus right now is to get the story finished. I've learned the hard way that revising while writing bogs everything down, and that revising a finished story would probably be easier.

In the meantime, I've begun work on another idea; basically a story about Air Pirates and Air Ships, because I've always been fascinated with large ships flying through the air, and I like pirates. So, Arrgh! That's currently only around 5k. Basically, think Skies of Arcadia, and I don't even plan on it being published. I just want to write about pirates and learn about ships, and all the nautical terms I could convert to a sky theme.

So I officially now have two books I'm working on. Hurray!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:41:09 AM by Silenced Parrot »
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM »
     For this final project I'm writing the prologue or the first chapter to a fantasy story that I will write later. The setting is going to have a sort of colonial era Central America feel to it. You know, cool pirates, crazy natives, Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp (okay, not really those two. . . I was just got thinking about pirates. . . )

Great idea! It seems like there are so few fantasy stories with that type of setting out there. I guess old guns just aren't cool enough...
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
I'm currently working on a series that has the tentative title of...you should take a guess...

*drumroll*

Wielder--a four part series.  I think the title of the first book will be entitled 'A Shard of Ellisar.'  'Ellisar' might change because I was told a couple weeks ago that Aragorn's kingly name is Elissar or something to that effect.  I have also been told by many of my colleagues that I shouldn't worry about it--and so I probably will.

You probably want to hear something about the book, but I have found that the further I get into worldbuilding, the harder time I have explaining what the story is about.  But, I'll give it my best.

Wielders are despised over all beings.  The process by which a Wielder is born is unknown, but it is a well known that the use of a mysterious power called Amash'ara is central to their unfortunate abilities.  Over thousands of years, there have been a handful of Wielders who scourged the world, some of which attained enough power to challenge the Gods themselves.  One Wielder was a curse, two nearly led to the destruction of the world. 

Three Wielders brings the ruin of mortal men.

Well, yeah.  That's just some random stuff that I crunched out really quick.  The story follows three Wielders as they fight to release themselves from the tyrannous hands of the Gods.  If you can't already tell, Greek Mythology has been a big influence on my work.  Two of the Wielders are pretty well known at the start of the story: Gareth (a banished king--I wonder why he was banished...) and Uriel (a devout priest who has come to question his allegiance to the Gods).

I am still working on the magic system, but it will essentially be very powerful with equally powerful consequences.  Wielders are not the only beings that posses magic, but they are definitely the most dangerous.

If any of you want to see a few short stories based on this world, feel free to PM me and I'll send you a copy.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »
Aragorn's kingly title is similar, but not quite the same: Elessar. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 06:14:18 AM »
Okay, my current project(which isn't that current because I haven't worked on it for a month or two ::)) is a novel titled
"Soul Taker" -  Staged in a continent called Sarhl, which is made up of many countries like Europe or WoT, it is essentially the story of two men.  One is a king  fighting to reunite a broken land, the other is struggling with himself as he is caught up in in a rebellion against this king. It will either be a single novel or a two novel series...I haven't decided yet.

It is set 400 years after "The Rupture",( a rip-off of from WoT) when the emperor essentially destroyed himself and put an end to the golden age, as he let loose a power known as "The Darkness". And now, a king from one of the countries, has set it upon himself to re unite the broken land and bring back the glory days. (I know this sounds very cliche, but there is more to the story and characters that I hope makes it anti-cliche) And one country in the North, Rostant, is the last one left, the only one that has not been subdued, and they are fighting back, led by a mysteriously powerful leader. It's very medieval Europe, and the glory days were like the glory of Rome pretty much..

What I like about my story though, is the magic system(s), and the first doesn't have a name, but is made up of different users, Soul Takers and Endurers(this name is most likley temporary). Soul Takers, well, take souls. They tap into their own souls to enter a different dimension which they name the "Unknown Realm", in which everything is shadowed and the only colour is the pulsing blue aura-like souls of men. Here they move faster, are stronger, and physics effect them less(not quite like the Matrix, but along those lines) Time is also slightly askew here, so Takers can sometimes avoid things before they happen. The Soul Takers essentially rip out the souls of men for themselves, layering them around thier own soul. But the Realm is not uninhabited.  An entity named   The Darkness is there, which feed on souls, but as men's souls are in their own dimension, they feed on the souls of Soul Takers, who are exposed when they enter the Unknown Realm; and the Darkness is attracted to souls, they can sense them, much like the Nazgul's ability to sense the Ring in LotR.  So the reason that Soul Taker's take souls and layer them around their own is to protect them from the Darkness; which then feeds off the taken souls(mostly). But Soul Takers feel it still, and the Darkness' voices haunt them(much like the Machin Shin in WoT) and essentially are constantly draining their souls while the Takers are in the Unknown Realm. ( and by the way, when your soul is taken, or drained by the Darkness, you are DEAD: not like the Grey men or when dementors suck your soul, no, you are gone. ( I'm sorry, I didn't mean to write this much, but I get carried away, there is more, but it's also a twist, so I won't reveal it)

So the Soul Takers randomly born with their ability,  and are trained as assassins, work for highest pay, but usually have loyalties to certain Rulers. The other main character is one of these, who is hired to work against the King by the rebelling country, and the book is mainly about his personal struggles and the Darkness consuming him while he is trying to fight it.

The Endurers are essentially super amped up versions of soul takers, who can mould some of the Darkness to their will, as well as the powers of a soul taker, and can bend time slightly, there are only a  few of them however, and I named them Endurer, because they Endured from the golden age, and there is more to them than it seems...

The 3rd is Light Bringers, who are the opposite on the spectrum, they can take in light, store it, and then bend it as they wish later on, similar to what the Endurers do with the Darkness, only the light isn't an entity. ( or is it... ) no its not.

Anyways, sorry for being so long winded, If anyone wants some samples, just PM me, and I already put up the intro on a "feedback" thread if you want to check it out there.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »
By way of introduction, I am a home schoolin' mom who also coaches high school mountain biking with my hubby in Marina, CA.  I have been a pastry chef, a truck driver (bread delivery), a very bad waitress, a surfing photographer and a singer-songwriter, among many other things.  I have read sci-fi fantasy since the LoTR and the Pern books and always knew I had a t least one in me. 

I kinda thought I'd wait till the last kid was gone, or at least not home schooled, to write my first book, but it just started pouring out of me not long ago and I got this great new laptop...

Anyway, that's who I am and it's been fun getting to know you all through your posts.  I may disappear and be back when I'm published (I have these visions of grandeur quite often) or I may lurk (my usual habit) and pop back in from time to time.  I am here because of reading and enjoying EUOL at the moment, but I may stay because I like you crazy Mormons. 

BTW, my protagonist is a female slave in a world like and unlike ancient Persia, but she will not ever marry a king/prince or become some kind of hero.  There will be events swirling around her and she will partake in important aspects of them, but she will remain true to herself and her original goals.  I'm not saying she won't be given amazing opportunities or that she won't grow in satisfying ways, but my little anti-hero will have a lot to teach us about finding one's true place.

I am discovering that inspired writing, be it verse or prose, teaches the author things about themselves and their world that they did not previously (consciously) know before putting pen to paper/fingers to keyboard.  I can't wait to find out what my slave girl has to say next!  She has already surprised me.

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
I'm new here, so just looking for places to chime in...

Current Project: Fantasy novel that's been in the works (on again, off again...) for several years...finally figured out where I want the story to go so most of my recent breakthroughs are layout related...the story is driven by the concept of redemption and bringing the story of several characters separated by hundreds of years of history and purpose together to redeem their own cultures through unified purpose and each other...
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2009, 01:36:26 AM »
Cool, and welcome to you! I don't know if you'd be interested, but some of us have set up a writing group here. We submit and review pretty much anything you'd care to send in. Just log in at the top and you'll see it: its toward the bottom, called Reading Excuses.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2009, 04:48:44 AM »
I'm going through rewrites and editing for a story I finished a month ago. After I'm done with that I plan on starting something equally weird, and unique... 8)
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2009, 05:09:19 AM »
I think I posted here a while ago about some projects, but recently another one has joined the list.

In school I drew this picture of a man. He is something like half-dragon; tattered shreds of wing hang from his arms, he has cat pupils, and hes got claws for feet. I don't know who he is or what his story is, but I want to find out.
I kinda doubt it really has any potential as a full book but I'm really interested in it right now. He would be a very conflicted character who thinks he is a monster. He wants to die.

And thats about all I know so far.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
TROGDOR!

No, sorry, but I was reminded of Trogdor when you described your story.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."