Author Topic: Everybody's Current Projects  (Read 15847 times)

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
Everybody's Current Projects
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »
Okay, so I've been looking through the sites to find this information...since I definitely don't want to repeat anything (and after some good laughs and some 'ah hahs'--and man, I've been putting some people through some major dejavu), I still can't find what everyone's 'current' projects are.

So, can I hear what you're all up to? Stacer, are you writing a book? I think I got that from what I read? So, let me hear it!

Guitarbabe (me)
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Everybody's Current Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
I've been writing a book for about five years now. Someday I'll finish it. I'm an editor by trade, writer when I have the artistic energy, which after 3 years of grad school and now full days of work, isn't often. Perhaps someday, after a full career at what actually makes me money, I might get back to it more aggressively. In the meantime, I dabble, and I edit.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:52 PM »
What's it about?
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:57:11 AM »
It's a retelling of a Scottish fairy tale, a Beauty and the Beast tale type. But it's going through a major idea overhaul, after being written as a novella/novellette/whatever you call it. I'm changing the setting, that sort of thing.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
She has a lot of good ideas. She's making good progress.

I have multiple current project. My most active two are The Fantastic Plastic Men and the TW(i)G project here on the site. Neither of those are books, though.

I have two novels in progress. One is in need of a rewrite from scratch, though I haven't finished the first draft.

The other is the The Heir of Ungrith which girls seem to love and guys seem to either be blase about or hate. I admit that I had more of a feminine audience in mind when I wrote it. It's about a princess who has to marry an older man who is supposed to die soon. Love story, magical horses, and curse breaking ensue.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:13:50 PM »
I have one novel in progress, a fantasy, that the speculists writing group has been helping me with feedback. It's about a woman who has inherited a kind of magic that can be passed down from one generation to another.

I plan to hit 90,000 words today. I hope. I still have about 1/3 - 1/4 of the story left to write, and then onto revisions. Unfortunately I'm suffering from low-grade writer's block at the moment, but I'm trudging through it as best I can.

My other project is putting up my own website. I got my own domain name and web hosting for Christmas (thanks, mom!) and am trying to put stuff up. Which is annoyingly time consuming.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:16:00 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »
I am writing my fifth novel, but my first YA: it's an historical horror/adventure thing with a Victorian Gothic setting, aimed primarily at teenage girls. I'm very close to finishing, but these last few chapters are hard.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »
*Cough* Fell, I would like to read it. I have been curious ever since your blog during NaNo. (My email is on my profile...)
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »
I recently posted this info on another writing board, so I only had to update a couple of things.

Works currently submitted somewhere:

"Tabloid Reporter to the Stars" (SF short) - A tabloid reporter is chosen to join the crew of the first interstellar voyage.

"Protector of the Line" (Fantasy short) - A royal bodyguard tries to protect a pregnant queen from a surprise attack.

"Bird-Dropping and Sunday" (Fantasy short) - A fairy tale about a very clean boy.

"The Man Who Moved the Moon" (SF short, reprint) - An assistant movie director must do the impossible in order to make a "realistic" movie.

"By the Hands of Juan Peron" (SF/Alternate History short) - The Catholic priest son of Emperor Juan Peron finds out the truth behind his father's power and eternal youth.

"Premature Emergence" (SF short) - What could be worse that being stuck in interstellar space near a potential hypernova? Not being there alone.

Rejected works I'm not sure where to submit next:

"Loophole" (Fantasy short) - A Mormon finds out he's married a demon -- and he's about to meet her family.

"Digest of Selected Portions of the Abbreviated Summary of the Condensed Report of the Ad Hoc Investigatory Subcommittee of the Select Committee for the Thorough Examination of Unusual-But-Widely-Publicized Events in Interclusteral Space of the Middle Senate of the Upper House of the Parliamentary Congress of the United Federal Union of Confederated Galactic Clusters" (SF short) - What happens when an A-1 Type Irresistible Force meets a Type 1-A Immovable Object?

"Spectacles of Death" (Fantasy short) - An actor finds glasses that let him see the shadow of death.

Works needing final polishing before submission:

"Waiting for Raymond" (Horror short) - A poltergeist watches the woman he loves.

Heir of the Line (Fantasy novel) - What do you do when the prophesied one is physically incapable of carrying out the prophecy?

Works needing thorough revision before submission:

"The Final Element" (SF short) - When items can be duplicated at the atomic level, how do you detect a forged Stradivarius?

"Beneath Dover Castle" (Alternate History short) - What might have happened had King John slaughtered the barons at Runnymede?

"A Member of the Peronista Party" (SF/Alternate History short) - A mother and her two children try to escape the Argentine Empire.

Works in progress (with actual writing begun):

"The Nuclear Option" (SF short) - A body modification doctor wonders just why his anonymous client needs such powerful upgrades.

"A Verse for the Valiant" (Fantasy short) - A mediocre court poet decides the only way to impress a young woman is to become a knight.

"How Shall We Sing the Lord's Song in a Strange Land?" (SF short) - The religious-refugee colonists of New Jerusalem are taken from their planet and enslaved by an alien race.

"Nor All Your Piety Nor Wit" (SF short) - A scientist meets the consequences of inventing a device capable of viewing the past.

"Fantasy Jump" (SF short) - The crew of an asteroid mining ship take a hyperspace jump based on artificial information.

Works in progress (not yet past research stage):

"Pausing on the Brink of Eternity" (SF short) - A college student investigates the disappearance of his roommate, a physics grad student, and finds an international conspiracy.

"The Day the Music Died" (SF short) - Something in the air is absorbing sound at most frequencies.

Camelot High (TV Screenplay) - An awkward high school freshman's life gets magically complicated when he becomes the focus for the possible reincarnation of King Arthur.

Untitled Space Opera Novel (SF novel) - A descendant of a deposed galactic emperor finds out why their family has been kept alive in captivity for generations.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:32:13 PM by EricJamesStone »
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:40:01 PM »
Currently I'm slogging my way through a memoir of my year in Afghanistan with the Special Forces.  I'm 56,000 words into it.  the going is slow, work, family, etc... but steady.

When the first draft is done (100-120,000) I'll be looking for readers.  I need non-military perspectives to make sure everything is clear to someone who doesn't already know the lingo, and military perspectives to make sure it has the details they want.

After that I'm going to pick up the military SF novel I dropped four years ago when I was in Kuwait and FINISH IT!

edit: I could have gone ten years without posting my puny little aspirations of work ten minutes after that bloody list.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:44:47 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »
could have gone ten years without posting my puny little aspirations of work ten minutes after that bloody list.

Just remember that the vast majority of that list is short stories.  I think your aspirations of finishing both the memoir and a military SF novel are plenty ambitious.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »

When the first draft is done (100-120,000) I'll be looking for readers.  I need non-military perspectives to make sure everything is clear to someone who doesn't already know the lingo, and military perspectives to make sure it has the details they want.

I want to read it!  That sounds fascinating.  How long do you think it'll be before you finish?

I'm currently working on my fourth novel--it's a fairytale spoofish thing, and it's a lot of fun to write.  I'm also in the process of making notes for a vampire novel, which will either be my fifth or sixth book, depending on my drive to finish other things I have started.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »

I want to read it!  That sounds fascinating.  How long do you think it'll be before you finish?

Well, I started in September of 2004.  That should give you an idea.  I aspire to finishing much earlier than the trend seems to indicate but...he he.

Whenever it gets done, you're on the list.   ;D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:02:37 PM »
I am currently working on what is to be my first novel. I am probably about halfway done with it. It's a fantasy about a wandering wizard who is fighting a cult that abducts people and somehow transforms them to become their soldiers.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
I would be down with that, Nessa. I'll let you know when it's finished.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net