Author Topic: Pen names  (Read 5095 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Pen names
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 05:25:42 AM »
you can say that about extreme ends of the alphabet, like W, but even then it's only a generalization. it depends on shelf size and where the series books are and how they put the series books in and do they run up against the Graphic novels? or do the graphic novels start on a shelf below the last fantasy book? and what about the game books?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
Jules, what you've said is one of the major reasons Dave Wolverton uses David Farland now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »
I think I've decided that if I ever get published (and who are we kidding here, I may never finish the first draft--I just think the idea of a pen name is a fun discussion topic), it'll be with my own last name, and I'll just have to have really really good PR.

Okay, I haven't decided that. I haven't decided anything. But I do like my name.

For discussion: what other parameters would you put into choosing a pen name, in more generic terms than my personal name?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »
Actually, I do kind of like Anastasia Lynn.  It sounds like a pen name, true, but it still has a nice ring to it. 

I think a pen name should be distinctive, yet not flagrant.  It should stand out just enough to be memorable without distracting from the books themselves. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:19 PM »
If you're thinking marketability, something short that can be splashed across the top of a book cover in huge letters (and visibly on the spine) works well. Robert Jordan, Robin Cook, Robin Hobb, Tom Clancy (whether or not these are their real names), etc.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

precious-jules

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
I like the idea of a pen name, but I also like having my own name to avoid confusion.
If an author is changing genres or writing adult novels suddenly when they were writing children's before, a pen name is a nice courtesy to their readers. Janette Rallison uses a pen name for her LDS fiction, but her own name for her national work.
I think short names that fit in nice large letters on the cover are a great idea, and something to consider. My friend, Jeff Savage, writes horror and that's his real name. Lucky dog :) How cool to writer horror and have a last name like Savage!

When I was young, I wanted the pen name of Alexandria Austen (I was into alliteration and loved Jane Austen) Sadly that name sounds like it belongs on the cover of a bodice ripper. I figure the pen name I've pretty well settled on will work for me since everone calls me Jules, and Hartman is the name my paternal grandfather had before he was adopted as a slave to the people who needed someone to work their farm.  So the name works for me on all levels.
"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 08:47:06 PM »

Now there's a story there.

Where did this story happen, with your grandfather? When?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

precious-jules

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »
During the depression my great grandfather abandoned his wife and seven children. Without any way to feed her children, my great grandmother put them all in an orphanage. She felt so despaired at having left her kids in such an awful place, she went back and reclaimed the oldest, Mary.  The rest were all adopted out to various families. My grandfather was adopted by the peterson's. He was seven. The peterson's had no children of their own and since they were getting on in years, they needed someone to work the farm (I actually own the land the farm existed on and have set up my house and a cute little store on it)

They beat my grandfather like he was a worthless work horse and even made jokes about the five dollar bastard horse they bought. He had a nervous breakdown when he was ten and the sheriff told Mr Peterson that if he beat my grandfather any more, they'd end up killing him. So the beatings lessened but didn't cease. My grandfather  (in spite of all this) grew to be a good man.  He was a good husband and a good father. I really think he grew up good because as a small child he'd been raised with love. He ended up having seven kids. A few years after my parents were married, they received a strange phone call from a woman named Mary. She was all grown up and her mother was dying and her mother's only wish was to see the children she gave away all those years ago in the same room together. Mary was trying to find them all.

So on the death bed of my great grandmother, her estranged children gathered, and were together for the first time in decades. She died the next morning. The kids all stayed in touch and were very good friends for the rest of their lives.

It's a sad story and a beautiful story. I've gone several times to write it, but my cousins might not like that very much . . . Maybe someday.

"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 04:14:31 AM »
Have you read Jack Weyland's Peppertide? Vaguely similar situation, though not that extreme.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 11:10:13 PM »
I think it would be fun to use an anagram of my real name   http://wordsmith.org/anagram/
I know it's silly but I had fun.

Here are a few of mine:

Aen Elderberry
Red Ranbeer
Rare Bender
Bard Rene Leery
Rye'en Reel Drab
Render E. Bleary
Bean Reeldryer
By  Leer A. Render
Rye, a Rebel Nerd
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
That first one is cool.

I always thought my name (Sarah Bylund) was sort of... bland. Okay for the scholarly stuff I have published, but I think I'd choose something more splashy for a pen name if I ever finish *and* publish my novel.

Maybe something like Sarah Carapezza. I heard that last name recently and, well, it's got a nice rhyming quality with my first name and the Zs make it even cooler.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT