Author Topic: Writing Group 2  (Read 59789 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Group 2
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
Ok, good. I'm not quite done, so I should be sending it out later tonight, and if I forget then early wednsday morning (like half an hour ago early)
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:09 PM »
I still haven't seen the sub for this week.

We getting one???

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »
/me pokes FMP with a ninja monkey

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2006, 09:45:01 PM »
Okay guys, I'm really sorry, but I just found out I have an art show that I have to go to for credit in art (go figure) so I won't be able to make it. If Robert would be willing to trade me weeks that would be great, but otherwise I'll have to wait till next week. I can send the sub now, or I can send it later and make it better since I'm not really all that happy with it now.

Anyway, I figure you guys are getting just as tired of me missing as I am, but things will quiet down in a couple of weeks when school gets out. So yeah, sorry again.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2006, 05:18:29 AM »
Me submitting something this week isn't going to happen.  Sorry.  I'm busy organizing my life and my time to try to make sure that I can manage all my projects and writing and work without going crazy.  We'll see how the rest of the month goes.

I dunno about everyone else, but I would prefer if we did away with the weekly meetings.  Instead of getting together online, the person submitting just sends off his submission and everyone emails him their comments by the deadline.  It would solve this whole time issue with people not showing up.  Plus, writing meetings are feeling like a burden to me as I'll read the story, have a few comments to make that I could write up in an email in about 10 minutes and yet I have to come to the meeting and spend a good chunk of my non-work day listening to other's complaints & questions, everyone going off on tangents, the writer explaining parts of the story that haven't been written up yet, etc.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
the part about meetings is that you can get response to the feedback. That's what I need. There's a lot of things that someone brings up that I feel differently about, and the author needs those separate viewpoints.

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2006, 03:31:59 PM »
I agree with E.  I already have several folks that give me email feed back on various pieces.  The value for me of a writer's group is being able to get together and talk about just the things that Robert brought up.  Questions, explanations, things that make me think, different viewpoints, possibilities for changes in the plot or plot twists.  The immediate feedback and discussion is valuable in a way that just getting my marked up copy back isn't.  Not that the marked up copy doesn't help, but it doesn't give me that interactive input.

Robert, it may be that this type of group doesn't work for what would be most helpful for you.  You have seemed very frustrated with the time required and the nature of the discussion the last couple of sessions.  I'm sure everyone in group would still be happy to help with your submissions in the way that is most helpful for you, but I think the group should continue to meet.

I would like to continue group meetings, though we may want to see if we can get a couple more people to fill out our ranks so that on the weeks when not everyone can attend the meeting is still effective.  I know of a couple of people that I can talk to that were looking for a chance for inputs and would enjoy it and I'm sure others know folks too.

While getting our numbers up we could move to a 3 times a month or biweekly schedule if that is more helpful on a temporary basis.

Thoughts?

~J

You know you wanna...

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »
I have taken liberties with your meeting schedule, and changed a few things around, including a once-a-month day off.

If you have issues, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:33:48 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
Just my 2 cents about meeting online...

Like Jena, I also have people who give me feedback via email, and I've found I get much better feddback from an online meeting with the writing group. It's helped my story tremendously, in ways that no one from emailed feedback has given me.

Plus, I also wanted to offer to attend on nights when you need an extra reviewer--when I can. I probably won't be submitting here (since I already do at the other group), but I could show up every once in a while. Especially since I already do when you review SE's story.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:16:18 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2006, 09:44:39 PM »
Looks like I'm going to withdraw from the writing group.  Although I'm still working on and off on my novel, my major writing project at the moment isn't the kind of thing I think anyone here is interested in (I've teamed up with a coder friend to translate a Chinese RPG about a girl who turns into a mermaid into English), and well, as Jena said, I've been getting really frustrated over how inefficient the writing group has felt to me lately, between meetings that either take forever or are cancelled.  And unlike the rest of you, I feel like I get more productive feedback in emails than in drawn out meetings.

Sarah, if you want extra feedback, feel free to keep sending me submissions of your novel.  I've rather enjoyed it so far and think it's got potential.

Best of luck to everyone.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:46:27 PM by Robert_Boyd »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2006, 10:14:39 AM »
well Robert, we're sad to see you go, and the door's always open, but I think we understand. Feel free to email us (or me at least) if you want some email comments on something.

JenaRey

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:16 PM »
Good luck Robert.  I'm happy to be helpful in email land too.

~J

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
Robert, sad to see ya leave, but that's fine if this isn't your cup of . . . hot chocolate. *ahem* And, sure, I'll send you more stuff when I am up for a session.

I would like to continue meeting and think it'd be great to recruit a few more folks. I like to be able to pursue certain questions as they surface. Email comments are fine for some things, though. Still, the interaction is more pro-actively useful to my writing process.

Nessa, you'd certainly be a welcome addition when you can make it. :)

So... who else can we entrap?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »
I'm very sad I won't be able to make it this week, as I have a prior engagement :( But if SE wants to send me chapters I'll send comments.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2006, 11:16:28 AM »
My wife, (just this morning, in fact) has announced that she scheduled some old friends to come over for dinner thursday. So *I* will probably not be there. Since I haven't sent my chapters yet, would anyone like to trade?