Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2006  (Read 18767 times)

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
National Novel Writing Month 2006
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
Is any one else planning on doing this insane thing?

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

What EUOL said about it two years ago.
http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=897

http://www.nanowrimo.org/
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2006
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 01:39:25 PM »
I suppose it's that time again. Despite "winning" the first two months I participated, I'm going to hold out this time. I don't need yet another manuscript I'm not working on to be in a rough draft form.

for the record, I also wrote about it that year (before EUOL did). and last year both Fell and I attempted to blog about our nano progress.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 02:02:30 PM »
"Writers have very high divorce rates, and very high alcoholism rates, for a reason." -EUOL

Yeah... since I ever came upon the thought of writing, nanoing and otherwise, I suppose I have begun to ingest more quantities of alcohol than I probably should. In fact, I'm thinking about making a drink right now, or if I should wait until I get up and have a few before work tonight....

But above those thoughts are the thoughts of writing. Right now I want to come up with a poem for the day. And I'm also dwelling on what kind of plot I should come up with for this years nano.

Years past I've not actually completed a nano. I hope, to God and everything else, that I can actually get more than 5K words finished. Maybe even 15K, or 10K at that. I've never been one for goals, as I've always found myself instead, worrying about other people and making sure that they're doing what they said they wanted to do.

But now, now I think this is my year. I've dedicated more time to myself than others, which might sound entirely conceited, but it's true. If I don't know me, than how will anyone else?

I do have some semblance of jealousy towards Brandon because of his published status. Of course, I may be a bit moreso than others around here, since, lets face it, you're all fair and good people who are wrapped up in your religions in one way or another (no offense).

However, it doesn't matter anymore; I've done away with these things and am taking a new spin. Watch out California, you're about to wish you DID seceed back in 2002!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
I would like to try it once i am more experienced...I'm just beginning to write.
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
But that's the beauty of NaNoWriMo, you gain experience by doing it! ... via torture, of course, but you still gain experience.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »
Humm...wonder what project I'll do this year.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »
Well i guess i could give it a go.  When is the dead line?

-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:07 PM »
last day of November.

You start November 1st then write every day for the rest of the month.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=2
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 10:34:17 PM »
I am seriously considering this.  So it just has to be a crappy 175 page story huh..  Does your story get rated? even though there are tens of thousands of entries.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »
no 50,000 words.

And nope there's no rating on your story, just the sense of accomplishment.  Again it's not about having others read what you write is about actually finishing a story from start to end which is something new authors have trouble with.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »
there is a word counter that you must use to officially "win" but it's just on their web site, and the actual writing is never made available for viewing. I don't believe they even save a copy.

incidentally, i really encourage you to go for it. I'm not doing it this year, but the two years I did do it were very fulfilling.

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:30:34 PM »
Alright I'm in.  I'll probably do a rough fantasy book.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 04:33:32 AM »
I'll take a swing at it. I didn't make it my first year, but, I actually did eventually finish the book I worked on that time. I have an idea or two bouncing around my head for a sequel, so, hopefully, I will be able to get some of those onto paper this year.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 05:08:07 AM »
I'm thinking of doing it this year. I just have to get out of my latest funk. Moving home to California (again) completely sucked the creativity out of me, for some reason. But once I get adjusted, I'll be fine (I'm hoping).

By November, I think I'll have it worked out. This is a good year for me to do NaNoWriMo--I have to take it easy for the next while. Writing will keep me from going stir crazy.  :P
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »
Speaking of plots and loops, I've come up with my plot and am ready to begin tackling this thing. I need these next few weeks to hurry by so I won't forget!

Hmm, sticky notes.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo