Author Topic: Why you should give money to the red cross  (Read 4696 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Why you should give money to the red cross
« on: September 01, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
Instead of canned food, and blankets and so on.

Local drives do a lot locally, but its difficult to organize and transport goods from your community to the affected ones. Giving money is the best way to assure that the goods needed for life arrive quickly. Why, because they can be bought closer to the source and transported a shorter distance. they can pay extra truck drivers or be used to purchase goods that you cant like Water trucks and trailers (or Buffalo's for you army types) and Generators and fuel. Obviously any donation is appreciated, so if all you have is a cupboard of canned corn, and you want to help by all means donate that, however if you do have the means, please consider giving some cash to the Red Cross even if its just 10 bucks.

anyhow as a side note, we are sending  a couple of folks from my office (Tom whos family lives in the Big Easy and Sienna who just got to our unit from Morgan City LA. So I cant go for now. However its likely I will go in the future.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Why you should give money to the red cross
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:16:10 PM »
The biggest problem right now, I hear, is that the shelters just aren't sufficient. So there are donations waiting to pour in, but they don't have the places set up to give them to people. I don't know how I can help with that, but I do know my company (Hasbro) just donated a large sum to the Red Cross, and people across the country are doing the same. I hope it helps them get the shelter they need.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »
It will help,... a lot what it does is buy cots, blankets, and generators and other things to bring those facilities up to snuff or buy porta facilities (tents and the like) to set up in closer areas. The goal is to set up staging areas to gradually get people out of hazardous areas. By then SAR can stop, and rebuilding can start.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
I was going to ask you, Jeffe, if you were going to end up there. I know the Coast Guard gets involved with this sort of thing.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »
Utah is actually going to taking in some refugees now.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »
I swear, this kind of stuff makes me sick: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001053452

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-superdome1sep01,0,4489032.story?coll=la-home-headlines

So few people are getting any help, simply because there is no one there to help everyone. What few rescue workers they have are working 24 hours a day just to find people in the flooded areas, but then when they find them it still isn't helping much--they get evacuated to the superdome or to one of the highways, where they still don't have any food or water to speak of. The sheer size of the disaster is the problem--you have to travel hundred of miles in some cases just to find a stable site where you can receive and disseminate aid. And then when you add in the fact that people are looting, robbing, and even killing in the heart of the disaster, it just boggles my mind.

Please do everything you can to help. Please.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 04:13:26 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »
From the sound of some of the stuff happening, it seems like the criminal gangs have moved in in force without the cops to stop them. Apparently the cops/national guard still in the city have been told that it's under martial law and to do whatever they deem necessary.

I sent a bit into the RC. Not much but meh.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »
SE -- where did you get the banner you put up?  I'd like to add it to my website as well, but I can't find the link on the Red Cross' website.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 05:32:22 PM »
http://www.redcross.org/psa/bannerorder/all/

Sprig found it for me. They like you to give them some information, but nothing unbearable. I went through again for #Writer and did it. WOuld for Steam Clockworks, but it's not like that's going live very soon.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 05:56:54 PM »
Thanks.  I've registered -- now I just need to get to a different computer to ftp it up.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:57:29 PM »
On the otherhand, Fell, stuff like this should make you feel much better.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 09:42:55 PM »
Yeah.  I prefer donating to LDS Humanitarian aide.  They tend to be on top of things, and I trust them more than Red Cross . . .
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 10:02:49 PM »
On a more somber note I think someone at FEMA will lose their job over this. Somewhere there was a failure, and it was a critical one. At the very least military sealift command and USNS Comfort should have been at sea to provide supplies immediately,... and the National Guard should have been mobilized the minute the hurricane was projected to go into the gulf. I know we are doing a lot, but sometimes a lot isnt enough.

edit....

Urge to kill rising,
so the head of Fema just said to the people of Louisiana, and Mississippi that "its your own fault your in the situation your in" never mind my friends brother in law who just finally got to a place where he could call told us that there was no gas in the city to get people out, and that for the thousands of people to sick to move, or those without cars, or without cash that the only option of walking across the causeway wasn't an option. He said the road up to Baton Rouge was littered with cars that ran out of gas, just abandoned by the side of the road.

So when the head of FEMA says this

"Unfortunately, that's going to be attributable a lot to people who did not heed the advance warnings," Brown told CNN.

"I don't make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans," he said.

"And to find people still there is just heart-wrenching to me because, you know, the mayor did everything he could to get them out of there.

"So, we've got to figure out some way to convince people that whenever warnings go out it's for their own good," Brown said. "Now, I don't want to second guess why they did that.

Exactly how can people leave when they dont have the means too. The people left in New Orleans were stranded tourists, the elderly, those who couldnt get any gas and the poor. Im sure there were a few people who stayed because they chose too... but 95% of those who stayed did

Which is why I was ticked today when the head of the Sec of Homeland Security argued with a reporter on NPR about the people at the convention center in New Orleans saying that of course they had food and water, when it was all over live TV that they didnt have anything at all. My favorite line was...

"Well there have been lots of rumors"
"Mr. Secretary its not a rumor, CNN is reporting it live and our correspondent is there, these people have covered wars and natural disasters many times"

An hour later his secretary sent NPR a note saying ... Uh I was wrong.

Maybe I shouldn't be angry at this, but I am. Maybe its not the right time to blame anyone,... FEMA blaming the victims is a little disgusting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:14:19 PM by ElJeffe »

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 11:37:05 AM »
I'll tell you who to blame.  

Blame that small percentage of people who did stay of their free-will and are now clamoring to be rescued.  

Blame the people who left without finding out if their invalid neighbor needed help.

Blame the people who are looting like a band of monkeys.

Blame the people who stopped fortifying the levees at category 3.

Blame the bandits who are using their self-motivation, bravery, and aggression to kill, rape, and steal rather than help their fellow man.

And, finally, blame nature and move on.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 12:22:12 PM »
Blame the people who are looting like a band of monkeys.

My ninja monkeys wish to take issue with that statement. They would never loot like that. They would be much more surgically precise and strategic about their looting.

They suggest the phrase "Looting like a loosely organized mob of sub-human filth" instead.