Author Topic: Empires and Nations  (Read 15502 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Empires and Nations
« on: December 01, 2003, 09:52:56 AM »
OK, NaNoWriMo is over. Now is the time for all good time wasters... yatta yatta

Sprig is doing Parthann and Tarth, since they're so related.
I'll be doing the Tylerian Empire

We need people to write updetail about the cultures, politics, and peoples of the following regions:

Bregtoran
Silkur
The Free Cities
The Free Colonies
Bask
The Nomad Plains
The Bay of Pirates, The Kharnis Highlands and the Shodu Bay

Let's get cracking. Note that there are little dots on the map to indicate where cities are located. These are only the biggest cities. They are not ALL the cities. Each review should have sections on:
Military
Culture
Government and Politics
Geography
International Relations
Religion
Major Cities (which should have brief information on the above sections, as well as important sites in the city)

I'm sure we'll refine and edit that list as we go. I'm thinking 5-10 pages per nation. If you go over, though, I'm sure we'll still use it. Not going to 5 pages, however, will force us to send the Ninja Asassin Priests. Be sure to pay attention to the information in the main summary (found at http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=608 if you forgot)

Spriggan and I will act as editors and coordinators. Specific questions can be asked of us via email when you're assigned one of us. General questions and volunteering can be done here.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 10:21:32 AM by SaintEhlers »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Empires and Nations
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 06:56:55 PM »
I had mentioned before that I'd like to write up Silkur.  That still okay?

Also, it would be nice to get some detail on the differences between TW(i)G humans and normal humans.  Are the different types dispersed randomly about the world, or are there concentrations?  Do people of one nation/race tend to be of one type?  What exactly are the natures of the different types?  Etc.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 08:43:06 PM »
The humans have elemental traits, influenced by their environment.

Humans are different on Azmoth than on many other worlds. Several groups of angels were responsible for creating them, and they each made unique versions, suited for their environments. The humans of many coasts can breathe water as well as air, and though they live on the land, they suffer when too dry for too long. Humans of the desert on the other hand, enjoy the heat, and rarely suffer from sunburn or sunstroke; they find even temperate climates frigid, however. Humans of the jungles of Azmoth are adapted to living in the trees, and have an amazing speed and agility. Those from the mountains have an incredible strength and endurance. The plainsfolk can expand their minds to exceptional limits. Those of the forests are capable of perceiving things that may not even be there, though they are often called mad.

Here are the "elements" we came up with, as I think this list may not have made it specifically into the write up:
river, ocean/sea, forest, jungle, plains, desert, hill, mountain
Notice they're in something like pairs of similar but distinct differences.

Does that help?

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 10:46:03 PM »
So do humans of a specific type/region stay in that region?  It would kind of seem natural if they do, as a lot of who they are is dependent on where they are.

If they do, it lends an interesting dynamic to the geography.  People would tend to stay in one area and not move very often.  If they left their region, it would be a fairly temporary thing, as they would be eager to make it back.  It would cut down on migrations and the cultural exchange that that entails, and even on ordinary trade.  Basically, travelling would be a lot less common than on most worlds.

Also, what is the dynamic between the types?  Would it be similar to race relations as we know them here on Earth?  It would make sense if it did.  These big differences in anatomy have the potential to create some real conflicts between types.  What effect do these differences have on national identity?  Do some nations handle the differences better?

It would seem that the Tylerian Empire, being mostly jungle, might be fairly unified.  But other "nations" with more varied terrain might encompass a much greater mix of types, and have more potential for conflict or cooperation.

So I guess my questions are:
1. what effect does type have on the mobility of the population of Azmoth?
2. how do the different types get along with each other?
3. how do type relations affect the relations between the different nations and their citizens?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 12:00:33 AM »
So I guess my questions are:
1. what effect does type have on the mobility of the population of Azmoth?
2. how do the different types get along with each other?
3. how do type relations affect the relations between the different nations and their citizens?

1. types are not restricted to their geographic association, though what you say seems likely, they'll still tend to drift back home, or someplace like it. People don't get sick or die when away from their native element, though they may be uncomfortable. Others may like the adventure though, so I think there's more mingling.
2. that varies by region. So... choose for your own place. Rampant racism or general good feeling
3. since 2. is variable, so is 3.

I would point out that since most people are believers in the Anhouim and the Angels, there's a good shot at getting along due to a shared religioin. However, because many may feel like the angels that created them are the only real angels, or that their angels are gods (through misunderstanding the angels' role), this may not be enough to prevent  conflict.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 12:18:22 AM »
Okay - that makes sense.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 12:22:17 AM »
I also meant to say that - and I don't like telling people what to do - but I think that since these are such core issues that go to the heart of a society, I think they should be addressed in every area.

So I'm not telling anyone what to do, but it would be strange to write up a region and not talk about these things, however you want to do it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 12:24:03 AM »
no, you have a point, race relations is kind of at the core of a society's workings. Put it under "culture"

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 12:56:55 AM »
I wouldn't say race relations are essential for every basic world description.  This one is different, though.

The races are much more significant than skin color here.  And when someone's going to build a TW(i)G human character it's one of the major things they're going to consider.  So given that context I think it's important to mention.  That's why I mentioned that.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 07:55:21 PM »
I have another question: how does a person become a certain type?

Is it due to the location of their birth? (born in a jungle, become jungle type.)
Is it due to the parents? (your parents were one or the other type, so you share that type.  If parents were different types, your type is one of the two.)
Is it completely random?
Or what?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2003, 12:07:43 AM »
Genetics

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2003, 03:47:56 PM »
Sorry - as ideas keep turning over in my head it spurs new questions and answers.

If type is determined by genetics a key question is about type intermarriage.  If a society is suuportive of antagonistic "typism" then intertype marriage would be much less common.

A society where intertype marriage is common, though, would have a hard time being typist.  And unless type includes outward physical differences from other types (skin color, for example) I can see intertype marriage being a fairly common thing, and typism as not so much of an issue.

I guess a new question I have is what are the physical differences (especially the obvious, outward ones) between types, if there are any?  Or are the type abilities like special magical abilities in D&D, bestowed to humans by their angelic creators or left as kind of angelic signatures on their creations?

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 04:30:15 PM »
Another question - this time about the map.

The dark green indicates jungle, correct?  The light green would indicate temperate forests, then?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 04:31:30 PM »
ok, the easiest way to handle this is that the children of inter-type couplings are either one or the other. There are no "half-elves".

As for the exact appearance and abililties... .uh.. .yeah... I'll write that up. (so much work this month, and yet all I've been doing is playing Starcraft)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 04:39:10 PM »
yeah, I figured no half-types.  I don't mean to pester you - I've just started working on TW(i)G and a lot of questions have been popping up that factor into what I want to write.  I'm not as interested in the actual abilities as I am the outward appearance, for now.  But eventually the abilities, too.  I figure they'd play some sort of role in society.

And I'm assuming that my assumptions about the map are correct.