Author Topic: Statute of Limitations on Spoilers?  (Read 4045 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: Statute of Limitations on Spoilers?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 06:03:37 PM »
You know, I really don't think that there is a "statute of limitation" on spoilers. If there is, please point me to the exact code (state or federal). Also, for there to be a statute of limitations, be a spoiler would have to be actionable. In most cases, a spoiler is only actionable if there is a breach of contract and statute of limitations for a breach of contract vary by state and by whether the contract is oral or written. You can look up statute of limitations by state at:
http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/SOL-by-State.html
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »
Well, if you're going to get all educated on me then I'll point out that spoilers are a breach of social contract as it is an unspoken agreement that Man likes to be surprised about the ends of his movies and books. John Locke introduced this into the idea of the social contract as he always got pissed when his boss, the Earl of Shaftesbury would go to the theater on opening night and then come home and tell him all about the end of the show the next day.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 06:29:04 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 07:36:08 AM »
Some people don't like secrets being spilled, like Harry Potter's Secret, and when you blab your mouth off in front of a bunch of 12 year olds you can expect outrage.

Here's a spoiler, he's gay.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051006/en_nm/potter_dc;_ylt=AiP3ohh_qbv45BZZ3f2WSYus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 08:18:14 AM »
That was frontpage news here. I think it's just hilarious. The version I read in the paper said they threw him out for swearing, with him retorting that all he said was 'bum', 'crap' 'arse'. Hardly anything a 13-14 year old (another difference between the two versions - ain't media great?) wouldn't know.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 12:16:33 PM »
actually Im a little sick and tired of people who complain about spoilers mainly because 9 times out of 10 they whine about something thats their fault. You want to know a secret... if you dont want a single thing spoiled... dont ever read reviews.
Writing reviews is difficult, and its difficult to explain why a performance is particularly good or bad without some sort of context. If you want two word "its great" or "it stinks" reviews then by all means keep asking for "spoiler free" reviews. Personally I dont mind knowing about a film because there hasnt been a movie in the last 10 years that I've had trouble figuring out... Six Sense was easy for me for example. See I like to see how the director actually filmed the scenes, structured the movie, scored the action and so on. For me a movie is much much more than a plot. Sure thats not that typical a reaction and sometimes keeping a little bit of knowledge to ones self helps the emotional impact, but some people are quick to summon up the word Spoiler for stuff that isnt a spoiler. For instance... Darth Vader telling Luke that he's his father is a spoiler, finding out the Leia is his sister is a spoiler,... but knowing that Luke is going to blow up the Death Star not a spoiler unless say Lucas was some kind of masochist its not good for the story. The climax is a challange, but people need for that challange to be overcome. Its very similar to the book the Witch must Die. In a film that bucks that tradition the climax would then become a spoiler, but honestly unless it was very well done it wouldnt get good reviews. Give you an example you say... try the Wild Bunch a well done western released about the time of Star Wars. It has a remember Camaroon type ending that works well because of good writing and a lack of sympathetic characters. To make the ending work they have to be sacrificing for something and their end turns into their redemtion. Nice whiny farm boy dies in fiery explosion in space for no reason kind of sticks in the craw. See the difference... good. Often plot construction or simple background material is considered a spoiler when it really isnt. I had an argument with someone about serenity recently about Mals history with the independents. Its not totally vital to the movie, heck its not like they conceal it in the series or movie. Its a totally on the surface part of the movie and thus shouldnt be a spoiler, and yet he was complaining because I talked about the movie at all. I guess what I mean to say is figure out what spoilers really are. If its a minor detail like a Romance between Hermione and Ron or explaining that a ship broke down in a movie its not a spoiler. If the whole movie hinges on one scene with its massive emotional impact it is. If you dont want to discuss any of the film or book, dont go to places where you can potentially learn these things, and if people are discussing them, nicely ask them to stop.  Remember anti spoilers need to have some sympathy for people who take the time to see or read something too.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 12:21:31 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 03:10:24 PM »
I totally refuse to read that post. Use proper grammar man.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
It bothers me when reviews include spoilers.  I read a review to know if I should watch the movie, and I'd really prefer not to know the interesting parts beforehand.

You can get really specific about the films strength and weaknesses without saying "The hero, at the end, falls in love with the villain, who turns to the good side."

I think that any review that merely goes regurgitating (and then commenting on) plot is a very poor one indeed.

Talk about style, about message, about skill... about plotting, if you will (but avoid giving things away), but please be respectful of the fact that most people (I'd think) read reviews because they want to know if a movie's worth watching.  If it isn't, then perhaps they wont mind the spoilers as much, but if it is...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 03:41:39 PM »
I agree Jade knight. I've no need for a review that just repeats the films blurb.

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 03:47:30 PM »
A review can easily present context without giving "spoilers."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 03:57:32 PM »
it can, the problem is that most things people like to call spoilers arent really spoilers.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 04:18:09 PM »
Guess what? At the end of Titanic, the boat sinks.

Stuff like that.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 05:48:46 PM »
it can, the problem is that most things people like to call spoilers arent really spoilers.

Well, I agree; like when Tekiel started the thread on Corpse Bride and Eric insisted she put a spoiler tag on it.  Knowing there are butterflies in the movie isn't going to spoil it for anyone, I feel.  

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 05:54:19 PM »
I agree - if the thing isn't a surprise at all, it's fine.

Now, if those butterflies somehow hooked into the plot where if you knew about them it would give you forknowledge that would hinder  your viewing enjoyment, that's different.

But saying there's a Castle in Harry Potter shouldn't be considered a spoiler (so long as you leave it at that).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 05:54:37 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »

Well, I agree; like when Tekiel started the thread on Corpse Bride and Eric insisted she put a spoiler tag on it.  Knowing there are butterflies in the movie isn't going to spoil it for anyone, I feel.  

Actually it was me that insisted, SE was the one that edited the post.  Umm I didn't read what she had posted since she had in her text "SPOILERS" because I hadn't seen it yet.  We added the Spoiler tag to the title since she obviously wanted to discuss such things.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 10:44:35 PM »
Sprig, you had the perfect chance too...
Oh well, you cant blame Eric now.