Author Topic: Should I Move to Idaho Falls?  (Read 5907 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Should I Move to Idaho Falls?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2005, 09:21:52 AM »
I have never said "Chimera" which the ch sound. Nor have I really heard it used that way.
I've only heard idiots and the ignorant say "melee" with an "EE" sound. I don't think those are good examples of Americanization.

My last name, however, is. In German the pronounciation is something like "uhr-lurs." However, we say it "EE-lers."

However, Chimera's statement still doesn't look like a linguist's post because it completely ignores what happens in most shortenings of words (at least in English). Often the first sound of a following syllable is adopted by first syllable. Since the new name is no longer developing in the old language, it develops in the new language. Thus it would not be incorrect, nor unusual to see a consonant combination adopt a more common sound. Thus "chim-chim" (said like the monkey's name) wouldn't be an odd shortage at all. Though I still think something pronounced "Kim" would be more common.

further, "Faux Pas" may be a French word in origin, but English likes to hijack words. phrases like "faux pas" and "hors d'oeurve" are so commonly used in English that they are now considered English (being the descriptivist language it is). You can feel free to italicize it to feel more multi-lingual, but it is hardly necessary to do so.

Or do we need to italicize words like "alliance" and "maize" too?

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
*Shrug*

But you all may pronounce it however you want.  ;D

This is probably dumb, but I've only seen it written and I pronounced it (in my head) shim - er- a. Then it can be like shimmer. I think that is cool. I have no basis really for why it should be pronounced this way, but there you go.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2005, 02:48:53 PM »
Shim shim sounds like a gnome.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »
Or do we need to italicize words like "alliance" and "maize" too?

Alliance has been Americanized in pronunciation, and Maize has, too.  That's my point.

I know that most of the educated pronounce Chimera and Melee according to the dictionary definition, but it bugs me to no small end when people pronounce "melee" that way but refuse to spell it "mêlée".

At any rate, I'm a rebel when it comes to the pronunciation of certain words.  Were I needing to use those words during a professional discourse, I would probably pronounce Chimera with a "kh", and "melee" as "close combat".  =þ  In regular speech, however, I will encourage proper pronunciation!

To add more to the mix, I pronounce "wyvern" with an "ee" sound, rather than an "ai" sound.  This is closer to pre-GVS pronunciation, and my preference (I think the post-GVS pronunciation of that word sounds stupid).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
you say "Wee-vern" or "wyv-veern"? Cuz frankly, those both sound silly to me.

I think that you'll find that none of those words need italicizing. Nor that they're wrong without the diacriticals. English is just that kind of language. It's my experience that most people who know what a chimera is say it with a "k" sound.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2005, 02:06:44 AM »
you say "Wee-vern" or "wyv-veern"? Cuz frankly, those both sound silly to me.

I say "wivern", or "we-vern".  "wyvern" sounds quite silly to me, though it's the "accepted" pronunciation (it's all the GVS's fault!)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2005, 02:54:44 PM »
So Melaleuca called me on Friday and left a message on my phone saying they want to schedule a time for me to come up to IF and interview. I need to call them back ASAP--today, really. I'm not completely sure what to do--if I even want a job in IF. I probably will do it, though. There's no harm in interviewing--it's just that I haven't been feeling well, and I should really conserve my energy for the most important things. If I don't want the job, that would be an unnecessary drain.

Anybody feel like a road trip to Idaho Falls? (since it seems like many of you have family up there)  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2005, 03:33:49 PM »
Congratulations! I'd say interview. You can't make a decision about something you don't know anything about. And you never know--they may make you an offer you can't refuse (Wizards did that with me).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2005, 05:08:37 PM »
My mother just told me they got some new kittens, so I'm willing to go. Also, I have a friend in the ward who wants to visit. So three reasons is enough for me, I guess. The problem is, I and said friend would rather go up on a weekend. Do they want you to interview during normal business hours?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2005, 06:18:59 PM »
I believe so. I imagined I would have to miss either a Friday or Monday to do the interview. I haven't called them back, yet, so I don't know for sure--but that was the impression I got when I talked with her about it during my first inteview.

I hate making decisions.  :P

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2005, 07:31:42 PM »
I just spoke with the human resources rep. It looks like the only date that will work is next Monday October 17. So I don't know if you can get work off, Tage. The hp rep mentioned that they would be setting me up in a hotel, so I could drive up on Sunday and then go back Monday after the interviews, so I can go by myself if I need to.

But if someone does want to go, we could leave like Friday afternoon and spend the weekend.

(Edit: Tage I sent you a PM)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 07:36:08 PM by Chimera »

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2005, 12:03:21 PM »
I'd go if I didn't have to work all weekend.  I'm sure my Mom would like to see me (well, maybe my Dad would, too).  If you end up in IF and ever need a mom to dote on you, visit mine.  She's great.  Half my friends call her "mom."

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »
(Edit: Tage I sent you a PM)

And I replied.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2005, 03:43:38 AM »
Some people already know because I told them tonight, but I decided not to interview with Melaleuca. It probably would have been a good job, but I just really couldn't see myself moving to Idaho Falls, and after pondering on it and weighing things in my mind I realized that if it was very unlikely I would accept the job there was little reason to put all the effort in to interview.

So, for better or worse, I told them no.

They seemed disappointed. At least now I know that I have potential employee material!