Local Authors > Stephanie Fowers

We the Peeps

<< < (2/3) > >>

stacer:
Ha! I got one, too. Crazy Frog.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
if anyone ever encourages someone to actually install realplayer on purpose in my presence I think my brain will suffer massive hemorage, resulting in the destruction of several continents.

to rip cd to mp3, the easiest way with a non-crappy program is to use CDex, http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos

Very simple interface with quality rips. And it's open source.

Eric James Stone:
Sigh.  For most people, the question of whether something is open source or not makes no difference.  I recommended RealPlayer because:

1. RealPlayer works.
2. RealPlayer is one of three de facto standards for accessing media on the web (along with Quicktime and Windows Media), so you might as well have it installed.

Personally, I rip CDs with Winamp because I think llamas are cool.

Spriggan:
It's not that realplayer isn't open source, it's that Realplayer is the laughing stock of the internet community when it comes to media players.  It's a horrible piece of software that spams you with adds.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
open source is an ADDITIONAL benefit. It's nice because, being on sourceforge, you know a lot of people have looked it over and that the code is clean and doesn't do anything to commandeer your computer (like RealPlayer does). CDex only runs when I tell it to. CDex doesn't reside in my task bar and eat up resources when it's not being used. Best of all, CDex is a small program that works fast.

RealPlayer doesn't always work. And in fact, it is hardly a de facto standard. It's becoming MUCH more rare to see anyone offering anything in Real format.
If you had said Windows Media Player, I wouldn't have rolled my eyes, though it has some major problems, but at least that shows up all over hte place. Of the three, QT is the most solid program.

The first thing I do when I get on any computer is uninstall Real anything. Seriously, it eats up my resources and it never ever gets used. It's a waste of space and memory and does some very annoying things. I think you do a major disservice to people when you recommend they use Real.

No, i'm not the kind of guy who thinks something is better *just* because it's open source. But when you're comparing RealPlayer to, well, anything, Real for teh lose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version