Author Topic: CF Short Story  (Read 5287 times)

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
CF Short Story
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:23:18 PM »
So, as many of you know, I'm working on my doctorate, and have chosen collaborative composition as my topic.  I wrote my last book in a wiki, and had a few folks drop by to 'help out'.

But I'd like to start a new work of collaborative fiction (CF), and I was wondering if anybody here would like to be involved.  This project will be a short story, and I would think that in a few months it would be finished and ready to submit to some magazines

I think in an ideal world we would get at least 10 people who are willing to help out.  

What would be required of you?

• Should have fairly decent writing skills.  
  • Should be willing/able to spend around 1 hour a week in reading/writing/editing our short story  
  • Be able to work well with others (i.e. flamers need not apply)  ;)

What would you get in return?

• You'd get your name in print (assuming we write something print-worthy).  Everybody who helps out will be listed as a 'collaborative author.
  • If you're interested in learning to write better, this is almost like a writers group.  You will be getting feedback on things you write
  • If this works out well, I'd like to see us write more stories, maybe even tackle something big like a book.  Those that help out might get to choose the next story.
  • If the story gets published, and there is actual money recieved for it, I would like to take half of the money and put it toward a web site where more stories like this can be created.  Users will be able to talk about stories, start their own, etc.  The other half of the money will be divided evenly among anybody who has made a contribution to the story.  So you'll be getting, like, $3.84 or something like that.

Anyway, is anybody interested?  Let me know here, or send me an e-mail at marionjensen & gmail , com.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: CF Short Story
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »
I'd be interested.  Email on the way.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:34:20 PM »
I'm intrigued.  Email sent.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »
Great!  I posted this to my blog, and a second discussion board I frequent, and we've got nearly 10 folks who have expressed an interest.  Should be fun!

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »
Ok, I've got a section of my wiki devoted to the story.  Ten to fifteen people have expressed an interest, so this should be fun.  The direct link to the story wiki is:

http://stu-inst.usu.edu:16080/fikiwiki/index.php/Unnamed_Short_Story

As you navigate the site, if you need to get back to the story, just click the 'main page' link, and then click the 'unnamed short story' link.

There is a section where you can introduce yourself, an initial outline of the story, a technical help section, and a few other pages.  Drop by and get a feel for the site.  If you think of more pages that could be helpful, go ahead and create them.  That is the beauty of a wiki.

I would encourage you to register, but it is not mandatory.    However, as we start making changes, it might be nice to see who is doing what.  The registration doesn't require any personal information.  Even giving your e=mail is an option.

I've posted the outline of the story, but it's just a rough idea.  Read through it, let me know what you think, and we can modify it as we see fit.  You can either modify the text directly, or post some ideas in the discussion area of that page.

If you have any questions, you can e-mail me, or better yet, post your question on the technical page section, so that others can see the answer.

See you on the wiki!

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »
Ok, for anybody interested, the first scene is up.  It's very, very rough.  Make sure to read the 'read this first' section.  And if you want to read about why I wrote things a certain way, follow the links in the story.  If you want to make edits, please do.  If you just want to comment, you can put two square brackets around something [[like this]] and that will create a new page.  You can then save your edit, click on the link, and make comments there.

http://stu-inst.usu.edu:16080/fikiwiki/index.php/Scene_1

Firemeboy

• Staff
  • Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:26:33 PM »
Second scene is up, and again, is very rough. I'm going to change the POV, but if you're playing along at home, feel free to drop by.

http://stu-inst.usu.edu:16080/fikiwiki/index.php/Scene_2