Author Topic: Second Printing  (Read 27018 times)

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
Re: Second Printing
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2005, 07:54:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree w/ Ookla. If you're trying to start a local buzz, it's just seems kind of pointless for a writer not to capitalize on BEING local. Why try to get a publicist in NY to talk to contacts in UT when you're in UT? Methinks EUOL is being too content to pass the work along . . .
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2005, 07:59:13 PM »
Exactly.  Is a NY publicist going to know how big a card Orson Scott Card is out here? (pardon the pun.)  Or what sort of stories usually run in the local papers?  If you're intimidated, EUOL, start small.  Call the Daily Herald.  Call a podunk Idaho paper.  But get some articles written, and get some practice--then use those articles as leverage when you call the larger papers.  Show them that other people have thought it's news--why shouldn't they run an article, too?  Just remember--newspaper writers and magazine editors rarely come up with stories on their own.  Take if from a guy who knows--they rely on people coming to them with stories.  You're just helping them do their job.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »
I third Parker and Ookla. All the marketing stuff I've heard is that the writer does most of the legwork him or herself. Local stuff is the thing to do. School appearances, book signings, articles, etc. Walk into local bookstores and introduce yourself to the manager or person in charge of events. They usually will order more books for a signing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:18:41 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2005, 12:34:25 AM »
I was just checking out the "new and used" button on Amazon for Elantris.  (By the way--how do people sell your book for only $9, EUOL?)  Anyway--saw this listing and found it amusing:

$26.42
Like New
Seller: abebooks (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 4.4 stars over the past twelve months (117234 ratings). Seller has 233706 lifetime ratings.
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from United States. Expedited shipping available. International shipping available.
See shipping rates

Comments: SKU: 502496910; 1st edition, Hardcover, New in dj, A first novel with an initial print run of 35,000! Wow. A first novel too! maybe they're expecting rave reviews, maybe they're going to promote the h       

Cuts off there.  Since when did Tor decide to print 35,000, EUOL?   ;)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2005, 12:50:55 AM »
could be copied from some other entry accidentally
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2005, 11:20:42 AM »
I bought something from abebooks once, off e-bay.  It took me about a month to stop getting spam from them...

Well, I purchased a copy of Elantris for Father's Day (Sometimes it's nice to do your own shopping).  Let me know if you are doing any signings in the area (I'm up in Ogden, but can come down south if I need to)...

As far as buzz goes...  I know Card wrote a very nice review of the book, is there any way to get that review printed in some local fare?  Like Meridian magazine, and what not?  Many people seem to worship Card, and it really would pack a lot of weight with people.  I was just over on Meridian's online and there is a huge article by Card about losing weight...  I suspect next month he will be telling us about vehicle maintainence or something.

Anyway, just a few more thoughts.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2005, 02:04:15 PM »
If you need an in with Meridian, EUOL, my dad writes articles for them about the Tabernacle Choir.  I think it'd be pretty easy to get an article in there--though I could be wrong, of course.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2005, 03:19:21 PM »
I know LOTS of people read Meridian, so I'd definitely try to get something there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Sales Drop-Off
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2005, 11:50:29 AM »
Exact weekly numbers through 5/29

Total: 2029

That's a significant drop-off.  :(

Ookla--do we have numbers for this past week?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
Numbers come on Wednesdays.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
Slight rise! (Well, mostly flat.)
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2005, 07:15:44 PM »
Exact weekly numbers through 6/5

Total: 2326

Good news there!!

But that doesn't mean Brandon doesn't need to get out and do marketing like we've been discussing.  ;D

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
Joshua called this one, actually.  He said he thought sales would go up this week from last week.  I'm not sure why.  Memorial Day, perhaps, with bookstores closing and people being on vacation?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2005, 11:31:28 PM »
and word of mouth growing... fantasy and sci-fi readers tend to be clanish. One reads it and then the others follow suit.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2005, 11:50:27 PM »
and word of mouth growing... fantasy and sci-fi readers tend to be clanish. One reads it and then the others follow suit.

Yes, much like sheep, are we.  *Baaah!* Oh dear, was that me bleeting? ;p
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2005, 12:20:54 AM »
There were actualy several bought through EUOL's site this week, more then in the past 3 weeks in fact.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.