Author Topic: More Grumpiness  (Read 41057 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: More Grumpiness
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2005, 12:59:17 AM »
Excellent suggestion, Archon! In fact, the next time I'm practicing my kempos, I'll be a little less careful about stopping before I actually make contact.  :P

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2005, 02:24:54 AM »
Although I've already complained about my cough, I have one more illness incident to complain about. It's kind of funny, actually.

Medication does weird things to me, sometimes. Over a year ago I had a bad incident with NyQuil where my friend insisted I had to take it and so he brought over a bottle. I took the normal dose, expecting to get rest and relaxation, and spent the whole night shaking and in a strange half-asleep, half-awake state where all my dreams seemed like hallucinations. I was stressed the entire time, not conscious enough to do anything about it because of the drug-induced haze, and even sicker in the morning. So I don't do NyQuil.

Well, my visiting teacher brought me TheraFlu today because I was miserably sick from being up all night coughing. I didn't think anything of it and thanked her and brewed it up and drank it down. An hour later I could barely walk and I stumbled to bed, where I proceeded to have a similar experience as I had with the NyQuil--I was super drowsy and in a semi-comotose state, but my body refused to sleep and kept getting more and more keyed up so I had all sorts of strange stressful hallucinations/dreams--so real I wasn't sure what had or had not happened when I finally became conscious again.

I don't need drugs to get high. All I need is a little NyQuil or TheraFlu.  ;) Although the experience isn't exactly fun, so I think I'll pass.  :P
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2005, 10:21:48 AM »
You realize that both NyQuil and TheraFlu contain sedatives and other sleep agents. They are suppose to cause you to force you to sleep to combat the fever/cold that's preventing you from sleeping.

Hence, people sometimes have wierd experiences. It's why you should always read the labels and not go out driving.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2005, 10:50:39 AM »
NyQuil contains both alcohol and codeine. It SURPRISES you that it screws up your head?

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2005, 03:18:36 PM »
I read the labels for both. They say that they will make you sleep. Most people have that experience. I did not.  ;)

I find that my body doesn't always react to medication as it should. Which is why trial and error is really my only option, if I deign to take any form of medication. Needless to say, I won't be taking either drug again.  :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 03:29:11 PM by Chimera »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2005, 05:59:21 PM »
50 mg of Prednisone over 2.5 days (for the hives) kept me up 4 days straight. I'm glad the pharmacist messed up and only gave me 10 pills instead of 20. It was weird, though...I totally didn't get tired.

And I also discovered that benadryl has absolutely no effect on my state of wakefulness. However, when I had a cold the week before, the nasal decongestant in daytime robitussin made me a bit dizzy and weirded out.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2005, 08:31:12 PM »
i got arthritis from taking prednisone.  it went away after i stopped taking it though.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 01, 2005, 12:51:04 AM »
Prednisone is evil, evil, Evil, EVIL. It may be a fantastic inflammatory, but unless my life is in danger, I will never take it again. The benefits are far outweighed by the side effects.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 01, 2005, 01:11:32 AM »
So I'm grumpy because sensei needs to chew that guy out for his lack of etiquette and control.

Forgive me but it sounds to me like the sensei needs to put his balls on and give this guy a serious beating and tell him, in front of everyone, that if he steps out of line again he'll be tossed bodily through the front door and ordered never to come back.

A serious martial arts class is no place for 3rd grade bullies.  I HATE guys like that.  
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 01, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »
I was so excited about Halloween that I even dressed in a costume (even though it was kind of a lame one) and made the bowl of candy all pretty ready for the trick-or-treaters, and then only three total showed up. I was kind of sad about this. Last year (in the same place) I got about 20. I'm glad I wasn't overrun, although that was unlikely, but I was hoping for more. Felt like I dressed up for nothing. Now I have a bowl full of candy that's just going to be eaten by my husband, like he needs more candy  :).

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »

Forgive me but it sounds to me like the sensei needs to put his balls on and give this guy a serious beating and tell him, in front of everyone, that if he steps out of line again he'll be tossed bodily through the front door and ordered never to come back.

A serious martial arts class is no place for 3rd grade bullies.  I HATE guys like that.  

Wow, Skar. You can be so very eloquent sometimes.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »
My mom has been on and off of prednisone for years. She hates it, but she feels terrible when she stops. Anyway we figured that being on it for 5 days probably wouldn't be long enough to hurt me. And it didn't, but it sure was a weird experience, not one I have any plans to repeat.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm grump because my 3 year old son and I walked into a pet store (one that is a national chain) to look at the tropical fish. I was shocked to see that almost all of the tropical fish were infested with a parasitic desease called "ICH." I informed the store associate in the aquatic department that the fish were really sick and that they needed to be treated immediately. She told me that it was against the store's policy to treat the fish. This would explain why such a bad infestation had occurred.

I was so irrate that I later spoke with the manager. He told me that they would take care of it.
However, I'm still irrate that a pet store would neglect their animals like this.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2005, 03:22:49 AM »
This is the third night in a row that I'm being kept up by coughing fits. I can't lie down--it makes me cough more. I can feel the congestion going deeper and deeper down my throat and into my chest. I need to go to a doctor tomorrow, especially since I have a history of bronchitus, and if you don't treat bronchitis it can turn into pneumonia (I know that's probably not spelled right and I don't care). It's difficult to even go to the doctor or the store to get medicine because I am so fatigued and apathetic during the day from lack of sleep.

I'm really grumpy, having a hard time being positive. Hopefully venting will make me feel better.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #269 on: November 02, 2005, 04:10:11 AM »
I'm going dark on my connection at home till further notice.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

My cord just shorted out (it included FLAME), and I have about 15 minutes of battery time before this dies. Which means no NaNo till I can replace the cord, and who knows how much that costs?

I'm going to look till my battery dies, but I doubt I'll find anything for the price I can pay. This makes me very, very grumpy.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing